PDA

View Full Version : Heard something interesting the other day...

Jake-the-snake
02-13-2012, 03:58 AM
A few days ago I was working with a guy who was looking for a bow for his wife. He said at first they were very interested in Martin, so this sparked my attention. He then went on to say they tried the new Prowler, but they only shot it once because the string jumped the idler wheel. He said the arrow blew into a million pieces...I told him right there was the problem, a bad nock, or bad arrow to begin with. However, the gentleman then said, "No, youre wrong, Martin is known for the string jumping the cams and blowing arrows up"...Did I miss something in the past few years? I have never once heard of Martin even remotely having a problem with strings derailing???

After that statement I just brought his attention back to the bow he was interested in and went on from there. He made a few more remarks about other companies and that was the end of that....

joelc
02-13-2012, 05:15 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Tell him he is FULL of it. Seriously, that's a good one...we haven't even released the Prowler yet!!! Known for strings jumping off and blowing arrows up?...really. If that is the case I'm sure we would have been out of business 60 years ago.

bfisher
02-13-2012, 06:12 AM
Well, if you want to be a good ambassador for archery and Martin you try to explain things to the guy, as you did. If he doesn't want to believe you then that shows his experience and you just have to let it go. And that's hard to do because it would/could have happened with any bow, Martin or not.

joelc
02-13-2012, 06:21 AM
Well, if you want to be a good ambassador for archery and Martin you try to explain things to the guy, as you did. If he doesn't want to believe you then that shows his experience and you just have to let it go. And that's hard to do because it would/could have happened with any bow, Martin or not.

...but it didn't happen to any bow...well, unless you count a bow that doesn't exist.

elkslayer4x5
02-13-2012, 06:32 AM
The guy probably gets his "facts' off ArcheryTalk.

Spiker
02-13-2012, 06:59 AM
Maybe he shot his buddies old late '90's Prowler that has been standing in the corner of the garage the past 13 years.
Ya know - the one with the rotted out strings that the 'ol lady parked the car on one time.
With some old wooden arrows that his grandpa was so proud of building back in '47.

Jake-the-snake
02-13-2012, 08:36 AM
I woulda told him Ive shot Martin for more than half of my time in archery, and never once had a problem...but its my word agaisnt what he wants and thinks.

Side note, the Martin rep stopped in the shop on saturday, shot the new bengal...very very very impressed...

Should be a great seller Martin family

Edit: I wish we actually carried some of the Martin line...but thats not my decision

wscywabbit
02-13-2012, 10:28 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Tell him he is FULL of it. Seriously, that's a good one...we haven't even released the Prowler yet!!! Known for strings jumping off and blowing arrows up?...really. If that is the case I'm sure we would have been out of business 60 years ago.

Just goes to show you how far someone will go to bash a brand they don't like. Its sad, but that's part of the reason we're here, right? To help weed out the BS from everything else. :cool:

SJunior
02-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Should have asked him what arrow exploded and after he told you, tell him that brand of arrow isn't built to withstand the power of a Martin.

Spiker
02-13-2012, 11:18 AM
:) :) :p

CarlosII
02-13-2012, 11:43 AM
what Joel said...X2

MLN1963
02-13-2012, 02:08 PM
I can tell you what happened to me one time while test firing a FC400 locally. I had shot a couple of arrows and was going to shoot again. I drew the bow back and shot when all hell broke loose. The owner and another guy were right there next to me in as much shock as I was. After the initial shock of it all we tried to figure out what went wrong. I noticed the Martin Test/Setup tag was on the ground all jacked up. What I think happened is that the tag got caught in the cam somehow and derailed the cable. I made a note to self and not buy that particular bow.

Maybe something like that happened to the Martin they tested and the bow is getting the blame for it.

Skbengal
02-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Well Jake I wish you luck! A guy you work with huh? This would be at the new archery shop you started at? Too bad, sounds like you haven't got a lot of reliable experience working next to you! But, with a little honest effort you should be able to do really well! WOW! The Prowler is blowing apart arrows! THAT kind of POWER is absolutely legendary! Now I want one! Hmmm! What wil I need? Probably some 1500 gr arrows. I don't know if anyone makes them that heavy. Guess I'll get a hold of Carbon Express and see if they can custom make me some arrows. Sights? My dinky little 5 pin won't work. Joel if you read this, is Martin making an adapter plate to accept scope mounting rings? I'm thinking I'll need at least a 3x9 wide angle drop compensater scope. Now what to do about a rest? That thing will probably blow the whiskers right off my biscuit! Guys any ideas for a rest will be appreciated! Man, this is going to be an expensive setup! Have a great day! Right now I've got to figure out how to run this by the Mrs. and place my orders! Man, the deer aren't going to know what hit them this fall when I start lobbing arrows at them with this MONSTER!

96xjclassic
02-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Lmao! Hilarious!

Ehunter
02-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Sk, what are you going to use to stop those 575 fps arrows? lol

Jake-the-snake
02-13-2012, 07:42 PM
What I meant by working with him, was working with him on getting a deal done on a new bow...my bad...so therefore he was a customer doing some shopping...I did my job however, I think his Mrs. is gonna be happy with that new Hope that Strothers has...

He'll be back in a few days to look at accessories...Il be sure to confront him of what he said....

If Joel is still following this, I also seen another guy come into the shop, to shoot our 50 yard indoor range...He also had a Martin, pretty sure it was a 2011...but it was the Exile riser, with Nitro 2.0 cams...is that possible for you guys to make? Just noticed it, and I knew it couldnt be standard...?

MLN1963
02-13-2012, 07:52 PM
The crossfire is the bow you are thinking about I believe.

superfly
02-14-2012, 01:31 AM
A few days ago I was working with a guy who was looking for a bow for his wife. He said at first they were very interested in Martin, so this sparked my attention. He then went on to say they tried the new Prowler, but they only shot it once because the string jumped the idler wheel. He said the arrow blew into a million pieces...I told him right there was the problem, a bad nock, or bad arrow to begin with. However, the gentleman then said, "No, youre wrong, Martin is known for the string jumping the cams and blowing arrows up"...Did I miss something in the past few years? I have never once heard of Martin even remotely having a problem with strings derailing???

After that statement I just brought his attention back to the bow he was interested in and went on from there. He made a few more remarks about other companies and that was the end of that....

I beleive the shooter torqued the bow while releasing and so the string derailed!

Double S
02-14-2012, 04:38 AM
Did someone say "Torquing a bow? .:cool:

I think anyone new to Compound bows should have to watch this video before walking out the dealers door. This an old one but still a goodie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJoxJJjcQFU

Jake-the-snake
02-14-2012, 07:46 AM
Not gonna lie fellas, but it takes a damn lot of torque to get strings to derail...The Destroyers seemed to be the easiest, but ive seen such bad cam lean on bows when giving pointers, and even with terrible grip on the bow hand, it looks as if the string will come off. but I have yet to see it...Im pretty sold on the bad arrow idea...if it even happened at all

And no, it wasnt the crossfire...it was deffinately the Exile riser...no doubt about it

Skbengal
02-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Well I got off the phone today with my local construction company. For $1500 they will come and pour me a 3D target of a buck in my back yard. Solid concrete! Hopefully that'll stop em! Now, what do I use for an arrow puller?

Jake, as much as I would love to hear that you confronted the guy, you'll have to ask yourself if it's worth it. Your in retail now and if you embrass a customer, (say by challenging a BS story), he'll probably never come back. His story should reek of BS to anyone with experience who hears it. But by all means, come on and share some of the stories you hear so we can all have a good laugh! I'm sure you're going to hear more!

MLN1963
02-14-2012, 03:24 PM
And no, it wasnt the crossfire...it was deffinately the Exile riser...no doubt about it They use the same riser if memory serves me correctly. For the 2011 bows that is.

Jake-the-snake
02-14-2012, 03:41 PM
They use the same riser if memory serves me correctly. For the 2011 bows that is.

I could be wrong then...If I had a nickel for every B.S. story I told you guys, I would by myself a new truck...every day its something new and intriguing...

And beleive me, Ive held myself back quite a few times from saying something, but im pretty sure Ill talk to the guy about this martin thing a little more...

On the bright side, there are far more people that are fun to deal with, than there are that arent...Currently helping a guy with target panic...He's 57 years old...I bet he never thought he would be taking pointers from a guy who is almost a third his age...But that is the fun and joy of this sport...

Arrow Splitter
02-15-2012, 01:12 AM
Now, what do I use for an arrow puller?

An excavator with a claw attachment.:cool:

A.S