PDA

View Full Version : Drop away rest for a target bow. Suggestions please.

Double S
02-13-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm window shopping for the stuff i would like on my Target only bow. I noticed that the serious Target shooters are using those Blade style spring rests. being a Fob shooter it wouldn't work for fobs. it's either I go no fobs on my target bow or try an happy medium and see if a drop away is good enough for target shooting.

If I don't shoot Fobs through my Target bow I am interested in this rest but in silver.
TrophyTaker Spring steel Pro

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/Northwest75/ArrowRest-SpringSteelPro-TrophyTaker2012-02-1317-43-18.png

I've heard good things about the G5 Expert pro rest and i was told it was Fob friendly. Would this work for target?. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/Northwest75/G5Outdoors-DesignedToHunt2012-02-1317-45-27.png

Don B
02-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Simon,
Get ahold of the ppl. that make the FOBs and see what they have to say on what works best.
Don.

Double S
02-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Simon,
Get ahold of the ppl. that make the FOBs and see what they have to say on what works best.
Don.

Hi Don. I know that Spring rest won't and I know the G5 will. but I have never owned a target only bow....I wasn't sure if Dropaway's are used in target, Spots. I see Blade rest most of the time. I assume that the blades are more precise. I'd hate not to be able to shoot my much loved fobs out of my new Target bow. I've never owned a target only bow before. I don't know if drop away's are less precise than blade spring rests?. What were your impressions while you were at Vegas?. Any Indoor shooters using Dropaway's?. I am clueless to indoor shooting rigs. :(

bfisher
02-13-2012, 05:46 PM
No doubt the TT won't work with FOB's. That's what I have on my "Z", but I use feathers. As for the G5? It would probably work as well as any other drop away rest. I consider them to be like refrigerators. They're all junk; just some junk better than others.

Double S
02-13-2012, 06:05 PM
No doubt the TT won't work with FOB's. That's what I have on my "Z", but I use feathers. As for the G5? It would probably work as well as any other drop away rest. I consider them to be like refrigerators. They're all junk; just some junk better than others.

Copy that Barry. Would you say that blade spring rests are more precise compared to dropaways?

MLN1963
02-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Paul at Starrflight likes the TT models, NAP Apache, QAD, (and now the Revolution I understand) the last I chatted with him.

Spiker
02-14-2012, 05:14 AM
I dont really keep up on this, but - are there Pro Target Archers that use fobs???

bfisher
02-14-2012, 06:25 AM
Copy that Barry. Would you say that blade spring rests are more precise compared to dropaways? I don't think I'd go so afr as saying blades are more precise. I would sy the are less apt to cause problems over the long haul. Such things as cables/strings stretching can alter the timing of dropaways. I've run across a few occasions where the rest would not raise up all the way due to string/cable creep. The bow starts shooting low and the guy behind the bow is pulling his hair out thinking he's dropping his arm.

Pretty much, with a blade there are no moving parts so once it's tuned and locked down there isn't much to go wrong. Also they do spring a little adding some stability to the arrow as it passes over it. Much like a cushion plunger works for archer's paradox in the horizontal plane.

I'd say give one a try and draw your own conclusions. It's only money. I do honestly think that the popularity of drop away rests is due to a phenomina that I'll call "Monkey see, Monkey do". People buy them because that's what other use without giving other rests much of a thought. TM Hunter comes to mind. This is much the same reason Mathews and Bowtech, etc. are supposedly the best bows on the market. Monkey see, monkey do.

Back in the 70's I had a rest on my target bow (Jennings Arrowstar) called a Dillenbeck. Ever hear of it? Probably not as I was the only guy around with one. I've never seen one on another bow. I like to veer away from the crowd and do my own thing.

Double S
02-14-2012, 04:27 PM
I dont really keep up on this, but - are there Pro Target Archers that use fobs???

Yes. I know a lot in state tourneys have. I know a few have on a higher level. I used to keep up with the archer's name prior to leaving the fob forum. if I remember correctly John wheeler took 2nd or 3rd in his division with fobs. but don't quote me...I'm having a brain fart right now. I don't keep track like I used to. I'm nowhere near that level. I just want to make sure I'm happy with the bow after I put it all together.

Double S
02-14-2012, 04:32 PM
I don't think I'd go so afr as saying blades are more precise. I would sy the are less apt to cause problems over the long haul. Such things as cables/strings stretching can alter the timing of dropaways. I've run across a few occasions where the rest would not raise up all the way due to string/cable creep. The bow starts shooting low and the guy behind the bow is pulling his hair out thinking he's dropping his arm.

Pretty much, with a blade there are no moving parts so once it's tuned and locked down there isn't much to go wrong. Also they do spring a little adding some stability to the arrow as it passes over it. Much like a cushion plunger works for archer's paradox in the horizontal plane.

I'd say give one a try and draw your own conclusions. It's only money. I do honestly think that the popularity of drop away rests is due to a phenomina that I'll call "Monkey see, Monkey do". People buy them because that's what other use without giving other rests much of a thought. TM Hunter comes to mind. This is much the same reason Mathews and Bowtech, etc. are supposedly the best bows on the market. Monkey see, monkey do.

Back in the 70's I had a rest on my target bow (Jennings Arrowstar) called a Dillenbeck. Ever hear of it? Probably not as I was the only guy around with one. I've never seen one on another bow. I like to veer away from the crowd and do my own thing.

Thanks for the input Barry. I will probably give the blade a go and see how I fair with it and conventional fletching. If not I can always resell it. I use fobs because they work for me. I never push them on anybody unless they ask me about them....And I do get Pm's about them here and on AT. Plus I love it when people ask me about them or even hate on them. :D I like to be different sometimes too. I must be a rebel!. LOL. I was thinking about trying Line cutters which do not work with Fobs anyway.

SJunior
02-15-2012, 05:56 AM
I know several exceptional shooters around here us the Limbdriver Pro V, might be something to look at.

Double S
02-15-2012, 06:12 AM
I know several exceptional shooters around here us the Limbdriver Pro V, might be something to look at.

Thanks for your input SJunior. I'll look into it.

archerx7
02-17-2012, 11:44 AM
You might want to look into the original Limb Driver Pro as well, has the spring steel launcher to help absorb some of the arrows flex before dropping out of the way to give complete clearance for your fobs. IMO......its the easiest and fastest drop away to setup and tune, plus it works off the limb instead of a cable and the cord can be replaced quick and easy in the field should something happen to it. I personally know several guys who use them with fobs without any problems.

Double S
02-17-2012, 12:01 PM
You might want to look into the original Limb Driver Pro as well, has the spring steel launcher to help absorb some of the arrows flex before dropping out of the way to give complete clearance for your fobs. IMO......its the easiest and fastest drop away to setup and tune, plus it works off the limb instead of a cable and the cord can be replaced quick and easy in the field should something happen to it. I personally know several guys who use them with fobs without any problems.

Thanks you archerx7.

CarlosII
02-23-2012, 03:13 AM

i got myself into a physical situation where a drop away is the only rest that works for me. it allows me to draw the bow without the arrow jumping off the rest since it comes up at the end of the draw. otherwise i shake that rascal right off the bow.

so, i've gone to a NAP Quick Tune that works for me on the target bow. on the old huntin' bow its a Trophy Taker.

Double S
02-23-2012, 05:26 AM
Thank you all for the comments. I think I'm gonna go NO Fobs on my new Scepter. I will keep my Fobs for hunting on my Nemesis. There's a couple reasons why I'm gonna go NO Fob on my target rig. I want to try those fat shafts for indoors. Fobs don't fit on fat shafts. Fobs are not allowed in IBO. I want to try some IBO Shoots. So I'm gonna give a blade style rest a whirl. If I don't like it I could always resell the blade rest for a dropaway. I'm a Big fan of Trophy taker Rests. I have the Smack Down on my Nemesis. I'm thinking about using the SS Pro in Silver on my Scepter. Last night I did more research and the AAE Freakshow got my attention. The mount was designed my Jesse Broadwater. It comes with two blade sizes. It does cost more than the TT SS Pro. You can change blades without affecting Zero.

http://arizonaarchery.com/product/x_0UDN93QWawZSN0EY2lkPT/ARROW_RESTS_TARGET/FREAK_SHOW.html

gstudt
02-24-2012, 06:12 AM
I shot TT rest for years. Spring steel mainly. Loved the fall away TT however it would have to be retuned from time to time.

The hamskea has the best of all worlds with the least amount of slop and play.

I wanted to get back to a fall away and the Hamskea is the only one with some of problems of fallaway rests fixed.

I switched from TT spring still to fall away hamskea. Not expecting my group size to change. Just hoping for better arrow guidedance and more vane clearance.

with that being said I got more than I was hoping for. When the Hamskea was put on my bow located in the same position as the spring steel my groups got smaller by approx. 1/4" average at 40 yards. Here is an example attached.5754

Double S
02-24-2012, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the input and pic gstudt!. That's some nice shooting. A blade rest will be all new to me. I just hope I don't drop arrows. lol. it was much easier getting my hunting bow together than a target bow.

I shot TT rest for years. Spring steel mainly. Loved the fall away TT however it would have to be retuned from time to time.

The hamskea has the best of all worlds with the least amount of slop and play.

I wanted to get back to a fall away and the Hamskea is the only one with some of problems of fallaway rests fixed.

I switched from TT spring still to fall away hamskea. Not expecting my group size to change. Just hoping for better arrow guidedance and more vane clearance.

with that being said I got more than I was hoping for. When the Hamskea was put on my bow located in the same position as the spring steel my groups got smaller by approx. 1/4" average at 40 yards. Here is an example attached.5754