PDA

View Full Version : Question from a novice

vger105
02-14-2012, 12:46 PM
I am new to archery and have a question. I am buying a Martin X-150 and am unsure as to what string tension (is that how it's put?) to order; 50 lbs., 55 lbs., etc.
I am 6 ft. tall, weigh about 200 pounds, and have never used a bow. Would someone be able to recommend a good starting string tension?
TIA for any help

bfisher
02-14-2012, 01:40 PM
I'd suggest going to a shop that has some traditional gear on hand and trying various "draw weights". That is the term you are asking about.

Speedykills
02-14-2012, 01:42 PM
What kind of martin bow is that!!!!! anyway if it's a compound 60# max is enough to kill anything in north America.Thats what draw weight my bow is.Ive killed deer,hogs,turkey with that draw weight so should be no problem.
Now if your talking traditional then i have no clue.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-14-2012, 02:08 PM
What kind of martin bow is that!!!!! anyway if it's a compound 60# max is enough to kill anything in north America.Thats what draw weight my bow is.Ive killed deer,hogs,turkey with that draw weight so should be no problem.
Now if your talking traditional then i have no clue.Its a nice re-curve!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/DisplayPic.aspx?PIC=303991

Hutch:cool:

Double S
02-16-2012, 05:22 AM
I am new to archery and have a question. I am buying a Martin X-150 and am unsure as to what string tension (is that how it's put?) to order; 50 lbs., 55 lbs., etc.
I am 6 ft. tall, weigh about 200 pounds, and have never used a bow. Would someone be able to recommend a good starting string tension?
TIA for any help

The bow will be marked as 40,45,50,60,etc Draw weight. You don't tension the string to get the weight. If your using it for hunting make sure the draw weight is at or above the draw weight requirement for hunting. I do recommend that you visit a shop that sells trad bows. Shooting a 60 pound recurve bow is not the same to shooting a compound bow. You'll be holding all that weight at anchor until your fire. If you cannot anchor properly and shoot many times...it's too much weight. Make sure you look at the numbers on the limbs. It should state the Draw weight @ the Draw length and the Length of the bow. My two cents.

elkslayer4x5
02-16-2012, 07:11 AM
A person of your size should have no problems with a 45- 50 lb bow, guessing that you draw length will be 28-29 inches, ( the bow will be marked 45 @ 28, Pulling past 28 will gain weight, less that 28 will be less weight ) so you should'nt have any trouble with the X 150's 60 in length. With a recurve, the longer the draw needs a longer bow, ie 62" because of the string angle when at full draw, ( string pulled all the way back ) will pinch your fingers, causing you trouble in getting a clean release of the string and arrow. I'm suggesting the lower weight as you've never shot a bow before, and you'll find that its easier to learn drawing the lighter draw weight bow. Remember to get a glove or tab, since this will be your first experience with a bow, the bowstring will make your bare fingers very sore without either, also don't forget to get an armguard, which will go on the forearm of the arm holding the bow. I guarantee that you will not like a string burn! Thats when the bowstring hits your forearm, an armguard will prevent this. 45 lbs is legal to hunt with in almost every state. If you need any more info, just post your question here as you've done, someone here will be able to help. Welcome to traditional archery ( carefull, it can become an addiction! ) and to this site.
You and I were very near the same size, when I first picked up a recurve it was a 45 lber, but only 58 inches long, I started without any instruction, no glove or tab, and no armguard, later that afternoon, I went to town to get same, string burns on my left arm and blistered fingers on my right hand. Part of my trouble then was I am ape-armed, I draw 31 " and the 58" bow would stack ( bending almost to breaking point, gaining weight ), and pinching the heck out of my fingers. Have fun. :D

vger105
02-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Thanks very much for the advice.

kenz
02-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Just to add to the rest. Almost all traditional bows are built for specific draw weights at 28" draw. Unless custom made (draw weight specifically set for a certain length). Usually the longer the length bow, as in 62", 64", up to 70", the smoother the bow will shoot. Being that the X-150 is a 60" bow, and your draw will be somewhere in the 29-30" range, my opinion would be something in the order of 45#-50#. Usually can figure about 3lbs additional for each 1" drawn over 28". So a 45# bow drawn at 30" would come in at roughly 51#. This isn't precise, but gets into the ballpark.

So for being your first recurve I would think a 45# bow with a properly sized carbon arrow would shoot nice, and have decent arrow speed. And yes, a tab or glove, and a bracer (leather arm guard) are required equipment. The only other thing is practice, practice, practice.

Couple other things to mention, and this is just my personal preference. Don't know what kind of string comes on the bow, but if its a fast flight I would recommend switching to dacron. The speed difference is not that big of difference, and the dacron is easier on the fingers and bow. Also, and just throwing it out there, fletching (feathers) must be feathers and not the plastic vanes.

Good luck and have fun!

elkslayer4x5
02-24-2012, 07:07 AM
Just to add to the rest. Almost all traditional bows are built for specific draw weights at 28" draw. Unless custom made (draw weight specifically set for a certain length). Usually the longer the length bow, as in 62", 64", up to 70", the smoother the bow will shoot. Being that the X-150 is a 60" bow, and your draw will be somewhere in the 29-30" range, my opinion would be something in the order of 45#-50#. Usually can figure about 3lbs additional for each 1" drawn over 28". So a 45# bow drawn at 30" would come in at roughly 51#. This isn't precise, but gets into the ballpark.

So for being your first recurve I would think a 45# bow with a properly sized carbon arrow would shoot nice, and have decent arrow speed. And yes, a tab or glove, and a bracer (leather arm guard) are required equipment. The only other thing is practice, practice, practice.

Couple other things to mention, and this is just my personal preference. Don't know what kind of string comes on the bow, but if its a fast flight I would recommend switching to dacron. The speed difference is not that big of difference, and the dacron is easier on the fingers and bow. Also, and just throwing it out there, fletching (feathers) must be feathers and not the plastic vanes. Good luck and have fun!

Definatly shoot feathers, for a couple of reasons, 1st, they're lighter, one plastic vane will weigh as much as all 3 feathers, and 2nd, feathers will stabilize the arrow faster, as they catch more air, and will give you a bit more "forgivness" on each shot. Vanes are very difficult to shoot with fingers. Enjoy! And as kenz says, practice, practice, practice. :D