PDA

View Full Version : Onza conversion problems

Ehunter
02-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Ok, Switched my 60# Onza over to a slide and STS. Retimed the cams, checked everything for tight, and shot it. Noisy as hell. Rechecked timing, dead on. Then I noticed the cam lean. Top cam is / bottom cam is \ the same amount. ATA is 1/2 long now, BH is 1/4 long now. 60# bow pulling 63#. Before, everything was to spec and quiet. Any ideas? 56765677

Speedykills
02-17-2012, 06:31 PM
I thought with that conversion you were supposed to get new string and cable's!

MLN1963
02-17-2012, 07:01 PM
SK

I didn't get them, just the guide and rod. Later I asked for a set because the strings were already damaged from the TRG and they sent me a set

Ehunter
02-18-2012, 09:25 AM
SK, Martin said I needed to take the bow back to a shop, or send it back in so the strings could be inspected if I wanted a new set. These are still in pretty good shape, so I can live with them for a while still. Still can't figure out this Onza though. Thinking I may have to take it back to a shop, but now the closest one is 1 1/2 hours away. The one 40 miles away dropped Martin this year. Or Martin dropped them. lol

wscywabbit
02-18-2012, 10:14 AM
I would take the cables and string off, one at a time, measure them and put them back on. Re-time the cams and go from there. When I switched my Onza over I had to shorten the cables to bring it back into specs and raise the draw weight back up. But its quieter than ever now!

As for the cam lean, I think its inherent in this bow, my cams have slight lean as well. Hope this works and good luck!

Speedykills
02-18-2012, 10:17 AM
SK, Martin said I needed to take the bow back to a shop, or send it back in so the strings could be inspected if I wanted a new set. These are still in pretty good shape, so I can live with them for a while still. Still can't figure out this Onza though. Thinking I may have to take it back to a shop, but now the closest one is 1 1/2 hours away. The one 40 miles away dropped Martin this year. Or Martin dropped them. lol

I was thinking when you went from ccs to slide setup you gained some length on the stock cables and thats why you needed new set,not saying a set came with the conversion kit.
I would think if you used the same string and cable you would really have to twist them up to regain specs!

wscywabbit
02-18-2012, 10:20 AM
I was thinking when you went from ccs to slide setup you gained some length on the stock cables and thats why you needed new set,not saying a set came with the conversion kit.
I would think if you used the same string and cable you would really have to twist them up to regain specs!

If I remember right, I only had to add 1 1/2 twists to one side and 2 to the other to be back into spec with the conversion. ;)

WileyJ
02-18-2012, 12:28 PM
This is what worries me! I have contacted Joel with Martin's warranty department, while I have replaced the cabels just before I read on here and found out that Martin is aware of that it is an issue, I asked about the cam lean, and if changing the trg/sos to a ccs, would effect the bow at all the (Joel) said no it will not, just give me a more reliable bow! The bow shop I took my bow to (not a Martin dealer) changed the cabels and smoothed the trg out alot. Not having issues with it anymore but I dont want any, so I requested Martin to send me the ccs and string stopper to replace the trg/sos. I am gonna spend so much money with this its not funny. I have no means of working on my bow.

bob cooly
02-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Let's face it, the TRG/SOS was, is not the high point in Martins 60 year history. Having fought all the issues mentioned here I feel there is only one true solution. Write up all your concerns, call Joel, ship your bow back to martin for a factory tuneup and string change.

Ehunter
02-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Bob, I think you might be right. Been messing with it all day, and still can't get it where I want it. Looks like I'll be giving Joel a call on Monday. Still have plenty of time before turkey season rolls around here.

Oddly, there was no change whatsoever in my 70# Onza when I switched it over. Was in good tune before, and to spec, and stayed that way.

rdhj
02-22-2012, 08:36 AM
Good thing I found this post...i did the conversion on my exile and Martin did send me new strings and cable....however, since mine were still in new condition, I did not change them...should this be donw? is it possible the timing is off now that I removed the TRG cable guide and put the new one on? Now I'm going to have to givve a it a check over...just kinda new to timing and tuning

bob cooly
02-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Ehunter; what did you decide to do with your Onza? I am going to call tommarow and get mine headed in to Martin. Can't waste anymore time and need new strings again (3rd set in a year), need riser fixed for sts, and see if they can get the poundage back. Somewhere I hear turkeys calling and need this fixed or buy a new bow. Looking around now for a 50lb bow.

Ehunter
02-23-2012, 01:06 AM
Bob, I tore the bow down completely. Limbs, strings, everything off, lubed the limb pockets and barrel nuts. Measured the strings again, reinstalled them. Put everything back together, and now it is shooting better. ATA and BH are still off, but the draw weight came back down to 61#. I'm guessing the noise had to be in the limb pockets somehow. Cables were the right length, string was just 1/2 off. I'll send it in after Turkey season is over, and have Martin see why it isn't right on ATA and BH.

bob cooly
02-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Mine's gone, talked to Joel and sent it in to have the riser swapped out, new strings, and tuned. Hope it gets back before Turkey season. If it does'nt I'll use my Diamond Iceman.

WileyJ
02-25-2012, 11:34 AM
I just changed the trg/sos out to the sts/cabel slide, anything I should look for before shooting?

wscywabbit
02-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Nope, your draw weight probably dropped a couple pounds, and you may need to re-tune, but other than than you should be good to go :)

WileyJ
02-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Well it felt a little funny so I took it in to my local bow shop, the cams were in time, no cam lean, only thing that changed was to my surprise they tested the draw weight, its at 73#!!! I had them change my draw to 29 1/2" from 29", new arrows are 5 grains less total arrow weight, they have 2" vanes vs. the 4" that were on my others, I shot 6 arrows through the chronograph and 5 of 6 read out at 327 fps!!! I went from 298 fps at 67# 29" to 327 fps at 73# 29 1/2"??? I knew it would change a bit but 19 fps! someones chrono is off??? Maybe??? Anyone have an explaination? Still quiet, no hand shock yo speak of!

wscywabbit
02-25-2012, 06:50 PM
I don't know how you went up in poundage, but it is what it is. I actually lost about 2 pounds when I did the conversion, and I think most others saw the same. But a jump of 6 pounds pull would add roughly 12 fps, 5 grains loss in arrow weight would gain somewhere around 4, and another 1/2" in length should get you 5-6. So I'd say you're in the ball park. If I'm wrong in my numbers, I'd be glad to hear from someone else on here, cause I'm just piecing together info from memory of other posts...

WileyJ
02-25-2012, 06:57 PM
My bad! When I bought it I had it set up at 67#, then I turned it up to 70# later, it went up 3# not 6#.

MLN1963
02-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Well it felt a little funny so I took it in to my local bow shop, the cams were in time, no cam lean, only thing that changed was to my surprise they tested the draw weight, its at 73#

It took a few shots for my cable slide and guide rod to work into each other when I converted. The draw is much smoother now and more consistent than when I first replaced them. Like me, you were probably tuned into the change so we look for any little thing to be different.

dzsmith
02-25-2012, 09:16 PM
my ccs should be here for my exile any day now, joel sent me one a few weeks ago. we will see how this goes

bowgramp59
02-26-2012, 04:27 AM
anyone out there have a 2012 onza 3 that came with the cable rod & slide if so what are the string and cable lengths on the sticker, would like to compare them to the 2010 lengths on the sticker. if they are the same that means that martin doesn't think the conversion makes any difference. mine didn't all stayed the same. i think it is real important that when the string & cable lengths are checked it should be under 90 - 100 lbs. of tention then you may still have to ad or remove a twist or 2 to get the bow in exact time.

WileyJ
02-26-2012, 04:38 AM
I'm no expert, so I differed to Martin on this when I ordered the ccs and sts to replace the trg/sos on my 2011 onza 3, they told me the bow was designed to have the ability to be set-up either direction. I had no problems out of my conversion!

WileyJ
02-26-2012, 05:26 AM
anyone out there have a 2012 onza 3 that came with the cable rod & slide if so what are the string and cable lengths on the sticker, would like to compare them to the 2010 lengths on the sticker. if they are the same that means that martin doesn't think the conversion makes any difference. mine didn't all stayed the same. i think it is real important that when the string & cable lengths are checked it should be under 90 - 100 lbs. of tention then you may still have to ad or remove a twist or 2 to get the bow in exact time.

I know you asked about a 2012, my 2011 is string 59 3/4" cables 38". Not sure how that compares to your 2010, or a 2012!

wscywabbit
02-26-2012, 05:34 AM
Bowgramp, I think you may be mistaken about the year of your Onza... The Onza 3 didn't come out until 2011!

bowgramp59
02-27-2012, 04:44 AM
Bowgramp, I think you may be mistaken about the year of your Onza... The Onza 3 didn't come out until 2011!
when i bought the bow i was expecting a new 2011, it came from a martin dealer this is the bow# on the bow1034325 the first 2 digets are the year. the string lengths are 56 3/4" cables are 38"

bob cooly
02-27-2012, 05:30 AM
Bowgramp the numbers may reflect that your bow was atcually built in 2010 even though it's is a 2011 model. Does yours have the riser cut to accept the standard sts, mine was not and after messing with a frontmount I decided the bbow just did'nt feel right. Shipped it back to martin for a riser swap, string change and will comunicate on it when it returns to me.

wscywabbit
02-27-2012, 07:12 AM
Ok, that makes sense. Even though it was produced at the end of '10, I don't think the specs would have changed... I'll check mine and see if the strings are the same length.

wscywabbit
02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
LOL what do you know, mine was also produced in the end of '10. I didn't even order it until the end of April, and it came straight from the factory. Same string specs: 56 3/4 string 38 cables.

WileyJ
02-28-2012, 06:45 AM
Sorry, rechecked I was reading the numbers upside down the 9 is a 6 so 56 3/4 and 38!

bfisher
02-28-2012, 08:03 AM
Sorry, rechecked I was reading the numbers upside down the 9 is a 6 so 56 3/4 and 38!

Dumkoff!!!!! LOL.

WileyJ
02-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Lol! Ya my first thought was shiza(spelling)!