PDA

View Full Version : knock stays on bowstring... WHY!?!

Gabriel454
02-18-2012, 02:24 AM
This is really annoying. The knocks stay on the bowstring when I fire the arrows. I just tuned up my bow completely and WOW! This thing shoots pretty good!! Problem now is that the old string had fewer strands than the new 16 strand string and the serving thread appears to be clear plastic which looks totally awesome, but is thicker. So, now my nocks stick to the string like glue.

What can I do about this? can I get better nocks? The arrows are Gold Tip 5575's and who knows where the nocks came from. They are solid black and came with the arrows/bow.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-18-2012, 02:51 AM
Well most of us use a small emery board and lightly file the nocks so they fit loosely. Or you need to re-serve it. Most arrows nocks should fit just enough to hold steady. But they should be able to come off the string easily.

Hutch:cool:

gravedigger
02-18-2012, 04:59 AM
what hutch said.x2

i use my thumb to check my nock.if i can't pop my arrow off my string with little effort and if it leaves a dent in my thumb then i know its to tight.

Gabriel454
02-18-2012, 07:12 AM
what hutch said.x2

i use my thumb to check my nock.if i can't pop my arrow off my string with little effort and if it leaves a dent in my thumb then i know its to tight.

COOL! thanks guys that helps a lot!!! I just got invited to go to church where there are lots of archers. Maybe God gave me a bow I could afford so I could fit in a little? I hope that's why. =0) I hope I will continue to have food stamps for a while since I won't hunt without a real need to supply myself with food or something. =0)

bfisher
02-18-2012, 07:59 AM
Did I read your other thread right? That you had served the string with 30# monofilament? If so then that might be part of the problem. Nobody uses mono any more; haven't for decades now. I remember when I did that I used 12# mono. The size you need depends on the string material being used and the number of strands. Saying your string is 16 strands doesn't tell us much because we don't know what material the string is made of.

In any case, I know hutch mentioned filing the nocks to open up the throat, but this is not the best solution as you can never file two nocks exactly the same. You need to find the right size serving material (fastflight) and serve with it. And you don't need to serve the whole string to protect it as you are now doing. The more serving you put on the string does nothing but add unneeded weight to the string and slow down the bow. Besides, having so much serving on the string can actually hide broken strands and at some point the string could snap without you having been able to see it before hand.

Gabriel454
02-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Did I read your other thread right? That you had served the string with 30# monofilament? If so then that might be part of the problem. Nobody uses mono any more; haven't for decades now. I remember when I did that I used 12# mono. The size you need depends on the string material being used and the number of strands. Saying your string is 16 strands doesn't tell us much because we don't know what material the string is made of.

In any case, I know hutch mentioned filing the nocks to open up the throat, but this is not the best solution as you can never file two nocks exactly the same. You need to find the right size serving material (fastflight) and serve with it. And you don't need to serve the whole string to protect it as you are now doing. The more serving you put on the string does nothing but add unneeded weight to the string and slow down the bow. Besides, having so much serving on the string can actually hide broken strands and at some point the string could snap without you having been able to see it before hand.

Okay, I did not serve the center of the string myself and it is a 16 strand dacron string I bought from a company. I was thinking of using 30# monofilament line because the string has some kind of clear plastic looking serving in the center. Actually, I think that using something like spider wire green fishing line for a bow string would be good because it is sooo strong and so resistant to abrasions which dacron is definitely NOT resistant to abrasions.

I only served an inch and a half on either side of the peep sight. Since it wasn't that far from the sight to the center serving I just went the rest of the way. I will probably remove the serving if I can without damaging the dacron because I will be making my new style of peep sight here pretty quickly when I can make a lost wax mold and make a solid plastic piece which will be stronger and not collapse if I accidentally step on it. Unfortunately, I can't make another one like it because the mold will be destroyed in the process of removing the plastic from the plaster.

CarlosII
02-18-2012, 04:43 PM
dacron? are you shooting a recurve?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-18-2012, 04:49 PM
dacron? are you shooting a recurve?He is shooting a much older compound. Still has the tear drop cables I believe.

TEN RING
02-18-2012, 05:43 PM
reserver it with.022 you should be fine

Gabriel454
02-18-2012, 06:47 PM
He is shooting a much older compound. Still has the tear drop cables I believe.

Yep!! Martin Lynx Magnum. It still has teardrop cables. Would it be plausible to change to a long string? Would that help with the speed a little? Idk because the set screw in the wheels seems like it would cut the cables and as far as I know the screw is mandatory so there is no creep. Besides, I can time the cams without a bow press as it is set up right now.

Gabriel454
02-18-2012, 06:58 PM
reserver it with.022 you should be fine

I have no 0.22 and most of the serving thread I see is... hummm... wait... I bet that is about the same thickness that my 12lb monofiliment is. I have LOTS of old stuff that is no good in a reel because it got a little sun and is now a spiral shape ONLY. LOL! I wish the reel would fit between the string and cables caause then it could be used with the drag setting to serve the string. LOL!

Gabriel454
02-18-2012, 09:30 PM
DOH!!! before I can reserve it the brass knock thing must be removed before I can do it. Any ideas on how to take the brass off?

bowgramp59
02-19-2012, 04:07 AM
the right # of strands , the correct center serving , problem solved ! for 20 strands of trophy i use .020 pollygrip for 22 - 24 strands i use bcy 62xs size .o18 . it all depends on what type of material you use for the string, for instance 452x i use 22 strands , trophy i use 20 strands, when i serve i make about 20 wraps & check with the nock i intend t use before i go any farther to see how it fits, that tells me if i want to leave the tag end all the way or not. as bfisher said mono isn't any good for serving never was in my oppinion. i also use power pro fishing 80 # test thats as big as you can get it works ok for 22 strands & up . on the package it says .018 same as 62xs but it is a tad smaller, much cheaper than 62xs.

Gabriel454
02-19-2012, 07:18 AM
the right # of strands , the correct center serving , problem solved ! for 20 strands of trophy i use .020 pollygrip for 22 - 24 strands i use bcy 62xs size .o18 . it all depends on what type of material you use for the string, for instance 452x i use 22 strands , trophy i use 20 strands, when i serve i make about 20 wraps & check with the nock i intend t use before i go any farther to see how it fits, that tells me if i want to leave the tag end all the way or not. as bfisher said mono isn't any good for serving never was in my oppinion. i also use power pro fishing 80 # test thats as big as you can get it works ok for 22 strands & up . on the package it says .018 same as 62xs but it is a tad smaller, much cheaper than 62xs.

Cool. thanks! I think I found my problem though. The knocks have three splits in the part that fits into the arrow. I had one of the pieces between the splits break off and so I inspected all the knocks. They all have cracks in them between the splits, but only on one place. Weird!! They seem to be made of the same material which is kinda brittle. Maybe they are 10 or 12 years old or more so they need replaced? The carbon shafts seem to be just fine even though I've been shooting defective nocks in them.

What nock is best for a Gold Tip 5575 shaft?

bfisher
02-19-2012, 08:52 AM
You might try something like Bohning Signature nocks. I believe GT arrows have an inside diameter of .245".

Don't know if you have the means (dial calipers), but you might try to measure the diameter of the string in a spot where there is no serving. I've found that a finished diameter of about .110" does nicely. So if you measure the string and it comes up to .070" or close then you'd want to subtract this from .110". Whatever is left you divide by 2. In this case you'd end up with .040 divided by 2 so you'd use .020" serving material.

Most nocks have a throat size of .098" give or take a couple thousandths. .110 makes for a snug snap-on fit which will, after time, wear down to just the right size for a nice sliding fit. This applies to any of the fastflight materials. Monofilament, which I don't recommend, won't wear down very much.

As for bowstring material, your bow does require Dacron, B50, or the new B500. There are two main sources for string material. They are www.bcyfibers.com and www.brownellarchery.com. Both websites explain what materials they have and recommended uses along with how many strands to use and what serving materials recommended.

Gabriel454
02-19-2012, 11:50 AM
You might try something like Bohning Signature nocks. I believe GT arrows have an inside diameter of .245".

Don't know if you have the means (dial calipers), but you might try to measure the diameter of the string in a spot where there is no serving. I've found that a finished diameter of about .110" does nicely. So if you measure the string and it comes up to .070" or close then you'd want to subtract this from .110". Whatever is left you divide by 2. In this case you'd end up with .040 divided by 2 so you'd use .020" serving material.

Most nocks have a throat size of .098" give or take a couple thousandths. .110 makes for a snug snap-on fit which will, after time, wear down to just the right size for a nice sliding fit. This applies to any of the fastflight materials. Monofilament, which I don't recommend, won't wear down very much.

As for bowstring material, your bow does require Dacron, B50, or the new B500. There are two main sources for string material. They are www.bcyfibers.com and www.brownellarchery.com. Both websites explain what materials they have and recommended uses along with how many strands to use and what serving materials recommended.

Cool! what other types are there? I mean what if I could take a really strong yet light yarn and wrap it up like a boswtring? Maybe add something else to it like pre-stretched nylon or something that won't stretch very much? I bet I could make a thinner string if I could use something like piano wire woven into a thinner cable pre-stretched and then the whole length served in place with shrinking plastic like nylon or something. It might whistle when fired though. Just like the aluminum shafts or bars though, they couldn't be bent in half too many times without possible stress fractures from shear forces.

bob cooly
02-19-2012, 12:01 PM
What arrows and nocks are you using? If your bowstring is in factory specs. and you stll have nock problems a better idea than using a nail file would be to find a small machinist file that way you will at lest be consistant or better still change the string.

Gabriel454
02-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Thanks bob, I will get new nocks since these are all damaged now, probably from reinserting them over and over again. I think that once I get new nocks then I will be able to shoot again and wear the string down a little. It looks like my D-loop I tied might be holding them on the string.

There is a way to make a d loop with a strand of dacron wound around a 4 inch piece of thin plywood and then removed from the plywood and serving around the middle of the resulting loops and then that is somehow tied to the string, but I can't remember how it is done.

Anyways it is supposed to get rid of the compression pinching the nock because it is a loop which is attached to one side of the nock or the other, not both sides.

EDIT:: I mean I know it exists, but can't find anything saying how to make it because I don't know what it is called.

bfisher
02-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Cool! what other types are there? I mean what if I could take a really strong yet light yarn and wrap it up like a boswtring? Maybe add something else to it like pre-stretched nylon or something that won't stretch very much? I bet I could make a thinner string if I could use something like piano wire woven into a thinner cable pre-stretched and then the whole length served in place with shrinking plastic like nylon or something. It might whistle when fired though. Just like the aluminum shafts or bars though, they couldn't be bent in half too many times without possible stress fractures from shear forces.

Gabriel,

I don't know whether to take you seeriously or not? You have a lot of off the wall ideas.

Gabriel454
02-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Gabriel,

I don't know whether to take you seeriously or not? You have a lot of off the wall ideas.

Well I just found out in another thread I'm not the only one with strange ideas. I'm not going to try making any piano wire cabling, but It might be something to research a little in the future. I hope to have a completed and working prototype for my newstyle peep sight soon. I would show it to you, but I'm still trying to get a patent since I can't seem to find a job developing one.

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?23010-categorized-sub-forum&p=83296&posted=1#post83296

Gabriel454
02-19-2012, 08:52 PM
What arrows and nocks are you using? If your bowstring is in factory specs. and you stll have nock problems a better idea than using a nail file would be to find a small machinist file that way you will at lest be consistant or better still change the string.

Sorry, I must have missed your post. Uhh it just says Gold Tip HUNTER graphite 5575. They came with the bow.

EDIT they have red and white fletching with very little helix to the vanes. I'm using NAD Thunderheads and I'm just removing the blades when I target shoot because the practice tips are too light.

EDITEDIT:: I wish I could take the inserts out and put them in a position correspoinding to the vanes when they are a good tightness so that I can just look down the shaft and see if they are tight when the blades are on.