PDA

View Full Version : new arrow and weight

justin758
02-18-2012, 04:27 AM
I'm going to buy new arrows for hunting. I'm shooting a 385 total grain gold tip with 85 grain Magnus buzz cuts. I shot a deer with this set up got a pass through. And a deer. Thought about maybe a little heavier arrow but not changeing my broadhead. Will this make my arrow too stiff and snap on impact. I'm shooting a cheetah 70 lb draw

elkslayer4x5
02-18-2012, 06:21 AM
Hard to awnser without more information, ( your draw length, the arrow you want to shoot ), but generally speaking a stiffer arrow will not snap on impact.

bfisher
02-18-2012, 08:14 AM
Shooting a heavier arrow has nothing to do with the stiffness of it. Stiffness is a measurement of spine and is totally independent of an arrows weight, although stiffer arrows are normally heavier than less stiff arrows. Just how much heavier do you want? You're getting passthroughs now. A heavier arrow would carry more momentum and more potential penetration, but how much farther into the ground do you need your arrow to go to kill a deer? If you have something that works well now I wouldn't see a need to change.

Check arrow manufacturers' websites to see what they offer. Determine the proper spine (stiffness) for your seetup and then compare what arrows they offer in that spine. I'm sure they all make different weight arrows in a given spine deflection, determined by GPI (grains per inch).

Frankly, any properly spined arrow for a 70# bow is way more than enough for any deer sized animal. Back in the 70's I hunted with aluminum arrows shot out of a 39# bow and got pass throughs. And those arrows were only shooting about 190 fps.

Ehunter
02-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Since you are already getting pass throughs, the only thing a heavier arrow would really do for you is quiet the bow down a little. It only takes 55-65 ft.#s of KE to take on animals as big as moose, elk, etc. Deer are more in the 40-55 ft. # range. Heavier arrows will also make you increase the distance between your sight pins, as it slows down the arrow. Personally, I think you are in the right zone with the setup you currently have.

justin758
02-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Thanks guys. I'm shooting gtip hunter xt 28 inch draw at 70 pounds with a ripcord rest and 4 inch Vanes total arrow weight 385.