PDA

View Full Version : 2 piece weaver bases?

boobowbender
02-19-2012, 01:12 PM
any advice mounting 2 piece weaver bases to ensure their straight before mounting rings. its only for a 22 so recoil isn't an issue, but i want it to be a nail driver. or do i spend the money for a 2 piece leupold mount. it came with the cheap 2 piece weaver bases so i already have those and rings are fairly inexpensive, i cant find any one piece bases for the discontinued tc 22 classic
thanks

elkslayer4x5
02-20-2012, 06:25 AM
This is what I use when mounting scope bases. Sure glad I bought mine several years ago, sure have gone up! But it is a great tool, a piece of a 1" dowel would also work.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/187492/wheeler-engineering-scope-ring-alignment-and-lapping-combo-kit-1-and-30mm

bfisher
02-20-2012, 07:07 AM
What am I missing here? Whether the bases are straight or not is dependent on how accurate the mounting holes were drilled in the barrel, right? If they are off you'll never be able to have the bases straight.

boobowbender
02-22-2012, 01:23 PM
barry, theres a little play in the base as you tighten the screw allow it move off center ever so slightly, but definitely enough to give you problems if you overlook it. if the mounting holes in the base were more like our mod screw holes it would be more likely to mount "true"

4x5, been considering that tool,but pretty spendy, maybe not if you consider the cost of ammunition wasted. i was looking at 4 ft doll rod didn't know if it would serve the same purpose but i think i'm going to try for only $4

bfisher
02-22-2012, 03:57 PM
I think I know what you're saying. It's been about 30 years since I mounted a scope. I always used the one piece bases, though. However, assuming you tihhten the bases down well shouldn't the underside line up with the radius of the barrel or whatever mating surface you're mounting to? I can see the worth of using a dowel rod to align the rings, but then how do you get to the screws to tighten them? Oh, and for what it's worth use some 242 Loctite on them that screws.