PDA

View Full Version : Doin' it wrong?

Gabriel454
02-19-2012, 09:10 PM
I can barely draw my bow with a release attached to the string. I draw it really well with my fingers. I don't know if I like the release at all.

Any tips for going from a finger release to mechanical release?

bfisher
02-20-2012, 03:16 AM
Normally you need to shorten the draw length of the bow about 3/4" to shoot release. Other than that it's just a matter of getting used to how to draw with a release. The arm and had are in a different position so the muscles are used differently. I'd suggest lowering the draw weight of the bow about 10# till your muscles adjust and you gain confidence, but it's been proven time and time again that shooting a release is more accurate than fingers.

Gabriel454
02-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Normally you need to shorten the draw length of the bow about 3/4" to shoot release. Other than that it's just a matter of getting used to how to draw with a release. The arm and had are in a different position so the muscles are used differently. I'd suggest lowering the draw weight of the bow about 10# till your muscles adjust and you gain confidence, but it's been proven time and time again that shooting a release is more accurate than fingers.

Okay, cool thanks.

I determined that I needed to twist the string so that I put the draw length back where I had it before. Now that I did that I'm having less problem with the release so I think I will shorten it some more.

With the help from this forum I have started shooting with only one arrow for fear of destroying more arrows by hitting them with the next arrow. I can't afford to always go out and get more arrows. =0) Oh well. I'm shooting better than I ever imagined without even using the peep sight anymore. I have two anchor points and can hit the same spot with both anchor points and so I decided to try using a release.

Do other people have a high and low anchor point? One anchor point is below my jaw with my index finger on a spot on my jaw. The other is with my index finger at the corner of my lip. I don't think that one is better than the other except that the low one is better for longer distance shots because I don't have to bring my left hand up so high. (I shoot right handed, but probably could shoot lefty too.)

droppixel
02-20-2012, 08:22 AM
What release are you using? I'm using a Trufire 3d Hunter Thumb release. I anchor with the gap in my first two knuckles on the back of my jawbone, second knuckle tucked under my earlobe. Also like to anchor with the string just to the corner of my mouth and nose on the string. All that is needed is repetitions. I have had to stop shooting groups mainly for a while, I was busting up nocks left and right. Broke 2 this weekend getting my new bow sighted in at 30 yards. Occasionally I'll throw a group, usually just 1 per shooting session if that, at the deer side of my target for heart shots at 30+

Gabriel454
02-20-2012, 09:46 AM
What release are you using? I'm using a Trufire 3d Hunter Thumb release. I anchor with the gap in my first two knuckles on the back of my jawbone, second knuckle tucked under my earlobe. Also like to anchor with the string just to the corner of my mouth and nose on the string. All that is needed is repetitions. I have had to stop shooting groups mainly for a while, I was busting up nocks left and right. Broke 2 this weekend getting my new bow sighted in at 30 yards. Occasionally I'll throw a group, usually just 1 per shooting session if that, at the deer side of my target for heart shots at 30+

I have no idea what this release is. I think it is old, but I like it because it is like a handle release and a wrist strap release all in one.

I have just started shooting with the release. my "groups" are now right on top of each other.

I tuned my bow and stance and everything according to this which someone posted here in the forum for me.

http://archeryhistory.com/archerytalk/The_Nuts&Bolts_of_Archery.pdf

wscywabbit
02-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Not exactly sure what kind of release it is, maybe an older Scott. I shoot a trigger release as well, and really only use 2 physical anchor points; I put the large knuckle of my forefinger (the top of a fist), right at the end of my jawbone under my ear (there's a little valley there that is easy to find), and then touch my string to the tip of my nose. Line up your sight in your peep, and you now have 3 repeatable anchor points. You may also try a kisser button as another physical point you can feel... good luck!

droppixel
02-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Another thing to think about is look into different releases and see exactly what you like the best. I went through 4 before I settled on what I am shooting full time right now. Don't think I'll go back to a finger trigger release ever. I really enjoy the hand held thumb style I'm shooting now. Good luck with all the shooting!

Gabriel454
02-20-2012, 11:19 AM
I think I'll blow some graphite lube into the place where it is supposed to rotate around because I realize that it rotates when I draw and doesn't do that very smoothly and catches a little.

I have started using a D loop. I think this D loop helps a LOT because it does not transfer every little off center force into the shot and makes more of a floating nock position that is rigid enough to be consistent.

bfisher
02-20-2012, 11:19 AM
That's either an Allen Victor or TrueFire Bearpaw. An older one. They've made a few changes to accomodate string loops, but the basic design is the same. Both these companies made this style as a knockoff to the Winn Freeflight C-10. They aren't the best as far as no trigger travel and crispness, but the power bar gives one something to grip so makes them feel more controllable during the draw.

Gabriel454
02-20-2012, 11:38 AM
That's either an Allen Victor or TrueFire Bearpaw. An older one. They've made a few changes to accomodate string loops, but the basic design is the same. Both these companies made this style as a knockoff to the Winn Freeflight C-10. They aren't the best as far as no trigger travel and crispness, but the power bar gives one something to grip so makes them feel more controllable during the draw.

My first few shots with it were like... "SUPRIZE!!!" and I was like WHOA!! Now I;ve gotten used to it going off really really easy it is okay because I can do really good shots with it. I like how the strap is also a 'handle'