PDA

View Full Version : How do I measure the existing Draw Length on a Bow?

Great White Buffalo
02-20-2012, 06:35 AM
I bought a Used Bow and it does not have any info on it. How do I measure what draw length it is CURRENTLY set at?

wscywabbit
02-20-2012, 07:04 AM
Unless you have a draw board, it'd be best to have someone help you with this; nock an arrow, draw the bow. Have a friend use a sharpie to mark the arrow where it passes above the webbing between your thumb and forefinger on the hand gripping the riser. Let the bow down and then measure the arrow from the sharpie mark to the bottom of the valley in the nock. This will give you a pretty close measurement of your true draw length. To get AMO, add 1.75" to that. ;)

Great White Buffalo
02-20-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm a Rookie so what is the "webbing" and what is AMO? Thanks!

Great White Buffalo
02-20-2012, 02:13 PM
I figured out what the webbing is, duh! what is AMO?

wscywabbit
02-20-2012, 02:39 PM
AMO = Archer's Manufacturers and Merchants Organization. They came up with a set of "standards" for archery manufacturers so that certain mechanics and measurements could be the same across the board. This is from an AMO manual:

AMO DRAW LENGTH STANDARD
For Manufacturers

Draw length is a specified distance, or the distance at the archer’s full draw, from
the nocking point on the string to the pivot point of the bow grip (or the theoretical
vertical projection of a tangency line to the pivot point parallel to the string)
plus 1 3/4”. Draw length from pivot point shall be designed at DLPP and shall be
called TRUE DRAW LENGTH.

EXAMPLE: 26 1/4” DLPP plus 1 3/4” is the equivalent of 28” draw.

In other words, the deepest point of the grip, where your hand contacs the riser between your thumb and forefinger to the apex of the string at full draw is considered your true draw. Add 1 3/4" to get your AMO standard draw. On most bows, this measurement would get you close to the back of the arrow shelf.

I hope that's a little clearer this time, sorry!