PDA

View Full Version : Make my exile quieter

dzsmith
02-21-2012, 07:07 AM
Ive got an 11 exile. 70# 27 1/2"draw. I have limbsaver limb silencers, string leeches and stabilizer. I have the trg with the SOS decelerator. My bow just isn't that quiet. I've pretty much done all I know to keep it quiet. Is there any other ideas without lowering my draw weight. Are There better stabilizers than the limbsaver.

gravedigger
02-21-2012, 07:53 AM
a bit more arrow weight,a good ball of cat whiskers,and cam timeing.that is what we did to my good friends exile to get it a bit more quiet

Ehunter
02-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Like GD said, make sure the timing is dead on. Being just a little off can make the bow much noisier. Also, you might try putting a small rubber "O" ring between the stabilizer, and your riser. All the stab's. today seem to have hard bases where they attach. I have never found one to be as quiet and absorbing as one that has something softer, like rubber, against the riser. Cat whiskers are also a great idea. For me, they work FAR better than anything else.

wscywabbit
02-21-2012, 09:54 AM
All the above statements are great ways to quiet your system down, and it looks like you're off to a good start on your own. I might also suggest looking into trading in the TRG/SOS system for the traditional slide and stop... I was surprised at the difference in sound and I didn't think my original setup was all that loud; The SOS gave a higer pitched "slap" sound, and now with the regular string stop its more of a low pitched "thump". Aside from the pitch, I'm also sure its a few dB quieter... may be me though ;)

droppixel
02-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Like GD said, make sure the timing is dead on. Being just a little off can make the bow much noisier. Also, you might try putting a small rubber "O" ring between the stabilizer, and your riser. All the stab's. today seem to have hard bases where they attach. I have never found one to be as quiet and absorbing as one that has something softer, like rubber, against the riser. Cat whiskers are also a great idea. For me, they work FAR better than anything else.

Never thought about this, might look into it myself.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Like Ehunter said the rubber o-ring is a big help. I went to the hardware store a got flat rubber washers. They cover the whole area and absorb more shock. So either or will do the trick.
The object of getting rid of vibration and sound is to transfer it to something that absorbs. Cat whiskers ball type, a good stabilizer, Limb savers, and heavier arrows. All that should quiet the bow. Timing a bow correctly will make the string stop evenly and take out a lot of the vibration.

Hutch:cool:

dzsmith
02-21-2012, 02:55 PM
About the cam timing. Is this something a typical bow shop can adjust, or would it have to be martin specific. my bowclub is a bowtech and matthews dealer only. hes did quiet a few things to my bow like my rest and peep, but will he be able to perform on my bow. also, i have the original limbsaver stabilizer, i like it and all and i know its one of the best for the money, but money aside are there any great stabilizers out there that are better than the limbsaver. a longer one would help me anyway because my armotech sight with the long rail is probably one of the heaviest sights available. also how much speed would i be sacrificing with the string wiskers. i already have the string leeches, im putting cable leeches on there soon. sry to ask so many questions

dzsmith
02-21-2012, 02:55 PM
and thanks for the feedback guys, this site is a blessing

dzsmith
02-21-2012, 03:07 PM
also what would you guys suggest to do about the string decelerator since the exile doesnt have a rear riser drilled hole behing the stabilizer for it. my sos rubber is tearing up anyways after constant shooting and i cant get replacement ruber modules so are there any other types of decelerators that will fit a bow like mine with no hole drilled for it. also martin has already warrantied my trg for me so as soon as i get my slide I am going to replace it

Ehunter
02-21-2012, 03:26 PM
dz, I tie my cat whiskers on between the speed nocks and the cams. Just have to make them into the "golfball" style to do it without cam interference. I lost no speed at all. As far as the STS, rather than a hole behind the riser, there should be a cut-out in the side of the riser for it to attach. Martin has been sending them out as replacements for the TRG/SOS system, along with the cable and slide.
Any decent shop should be able to adjust your cam timing. You can do it at home, if you have two people there to do it. One draws the bow, the other watches the cams. Both cams have to be hitting at the same time. If one's ahead of the other, you loosen the limb bolts until the string and cables are loose. Just make sure you don't take the limb bolts completely out. Then you add twists to the cables according to which cam is hitting first. Hope this helps.
One last thing, I have never seen the need for cable leeches or anything on the cables if the cams are in tune properly.

dzsmith
02-21-2012, 03:43 PM
thanks for the help.my exile is a single cam, is it still possible for the single cam timing to be off and if so how do you adjust that. no the exile being one of their lower class bows has no hole at all for decelerator, mine is a 2011.

gravedigger
02-21-2012, 03:46 PM
thanks for the help.my exile is a single cam, is it still possible for the single cam timing to be off and if so how do you adjust that. no the exile being one of their lower class bows has no hole at all for decelerator, mine is a 2011.

hear is a thread on timeing the acutrac cam.http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?19802-Acu-Trak-Cam-system-timing&highlight=timeing

gravedigger
02-21-2012, 03:47 PM
post number 9 shows a timed cam.

dzsmith
02-21-2012, 03:48 PM
hey thanks alot buddy, is there any stabilizer that you prefer or would suggest. or is the limbsaver as good as it gets. i mean its solid rubber, i dont see how it could get much better

gravedigger
02-21-2012, 03:52 PM
hey thanks alot buddy, is there any stabilizer that you prefer or would suggest. or is the limbsaver as good as it gets. i mean its solid rubber, i dont see how it could get much better

happy to help,as for stabs...i know nothing about them.i dont and wont use one.it is extra weight i dont want,i walk and stalk so it is just one more thing to hit a branch with.i did try a stab once for a day and it did nothing for me.sorry i cant help with that one.

dzsmith
02-21-2012, 03:55 PM
there is definelty a large vibration and noise difference when i shoot my bow without a stabilizer, im probably exagerrating, but there is a difference, i have the limbsaver which is cheap and simple, and im just looking for some opinions on some better ones if there are any. i hunt and shoot 3D so its pretty important to me

gravedigger
02-21-2012, 04:02 PM
there is definelty a large vibration and noise difference when i shoot my bow without a stabilizer, im probably exagerrating, but there is a difference, i have the limbsaver which is cheap and simple, and im just looking for some opinions on some better ones if there are any. i hunt and shoot 3D so its pretty important to me

for sure a nice quiet bow is good to have,not only for hunting game but for the mental part as well.a guy does not want a bad thought in ther head when on a hunt or shooting for fun.im just one of the lucky ones,my bengal is super quiet as it sits with a ball of whiskers and a sts.

i was at a bowtech shop(only becaus they have a 40 target 3d range that is super fun to shoot)and i needed string wax so the owner asked if i wanted to shot a few arrows indoor,so i did.next thing i know i have 6 or 7 bowtech shooters standing next to me saying how quiet my bow is and how they could not believ it.of course as i entered i got the typical"oh its a martin its going to be loud and bla bla bla.them folks had some humble pie after i shot.and at 300 and some change for price i cant beat it

dzsmith
02-21-2012, 04:10 PM
I cant say the same, im a memeber of an archery club who is a bowtech dealer. so i shoot next to them all the time, its probably fools like me giving martin the bad wrap because my bow isnt the quietest. some 15 year old kid shot next to me yesterday and he had just bought a bowtech assassin. He had nothing done to it, and it was very quiet and his first comment to me was how loud my bow was compared to his. I wanted to turn left and release an arrow in his fat face. it infuriated me.. i dont like being picked on by a 15 year old buying expensive crap with his parents money. if you could imagine. Now I am shooting 70# when the kid was pulling 51#, think as soon as i get rid of that decelerator I will see quieter days. 70lbs thumping that thing just doesnt sound good.

Ehunter
02-21-2012, 04:43 PM
dz, the S coil seems to work fairly well, but works even better with the rubber washer or ring between it and the riser. Give that a try before you go out and buy something else. On a few of the old loud bows I've had in the past, I'd simply go buy a bicycle innertube, cut washers out of it for everything. I'd put washers under everything attached to the riser. Sight, rest, quiver, stab. Everything. It makes a world of difference. If the innertube is too thin, get rubber washers at a hardware store. You just want something soft between everything that's solid. And an innertube is cheap. lol Keep in mind, a mountain bike innertube is thicker than a 10 speed innertube. That gives you some thickness range there too.

droppixel
02-22-2012, 05:15 AM
dz, the S coil seems to work fairly well, but works even better with the rubber washer or ring between it and the riser. Give that a try before you go out and buy something else. On a few of the old loud bows I've had in the past, I'd simply go buy a bicycle innertube, cut washers out of it for everything. I'd put washers under everything attached to the riser. Sight, rest, quiver, stab. Everything. It makes a world of difference. If the innertube is too thin, get rubber washers at a hardware store. You just want something soft between everything that's solid. And an innertube is cheap. lol Keep in mind, a mountain bike innertube is thicker than a 10 speed innertube. That gives you some thickness range there too.

Here is another thing I might look into! Definitely something I wouldn't have thought about, but could totally see how it could be beneficial.

If you have the S-coil I have one of those on my Cheetah and have no complaints. The Alien I just picked up has the X-coil and so far, no complaints. I have looked into getting the NAP Apache ($30) for something a little different and I have heard they dissipate a good amount of vibration and noise with the open design.

HawgEnvy
02-23-2012, 05:36 PM
since nobody mentioned it,I'll throw my .01 in here, NEW CUSTOM STRINGS. I couldn't believe the difference it made on my Cheetah and Iron Mace after putting a set of Hutch's strings on them. A lot quieter and seemed to pick up some speed. Judging only by the extra bit of thump from the arrows hitting the target harder.

Oh, and over the weekend I ditched the string stop on my Quest and just went with catwhiskers after experimenting. I left it off for now. I'm thinking that maybe the rubber stoppers available aftermarket are made of different materials. Some being louder than others. Just a thought

boobowbender
02-24-2012, 04:24 AM
All the above statements are great ways to quiet your system down, and it looks like you're off to a good start on your own. I might also suggest looking into trading in the TRG/SOS system for the traditional slide and stop... I was surprised at the difference in sound and I didn't think my original setup was all that loud; The SOS gave a higer pitched "slap" sound, and now with the regular string stop its more of a low pitched "thump". Aside from the pitch, I'm also sure its a few dB quieter... may be me though ;)

made a huge difference when i ditched trg/sos, well maybe not huge, but my wore out ears sure could tell the difference