PDA

View Full Version : feahters or vanes

dzsmith
02-26-2012, 12:24 AM
so ive did a little research on feathers vs vanes. and its kind of what i expected, all feather places like tru flight claim that feathers are better in every way except for price, mass production, and time. here are some common advantages claimed by tru flight: 700% less weight, speed , accuracy, no affects from light or heat from the sun, forginveness if the feather drags on your rest or brushes a tree limb. forgiveness if your arrow groupings rub together. I find it hard to believe that a feather can be tougher than a plastic vain, and after all the vains ive torn up i just dont see feathers holding up if you shoot a whole whole lot plus hunt. Id like to hear what you guys have to say about it, if they are better in the ways that they claim, then why do so few ppl shoot them, and you cant really say money and time is a factor because look at the time and money ppl inlcuding myself already put into our archery equipment.

bowgramp59
02-26-2012, 03:56 AM
i think it's just a matter of choise, myself i prefer my 2" blazers because i like the looks , they stabalize my broadheads { mangus } when i switch from field points to broadheads there is little if any ajustments to be made.

wscywabbit
02-26-2012, 05:32 AM
Well I just jumped ship and started using feathers. I'm using 2" Rayzr's from Gateway. I can tell you that so far I am very pleased. 3 of these feathers weight less than 1 Blazer vane, so I picked up a little speed and raised my FOC. They steer my broadheads just fine, they're right in with my field points even at 40 yds. I got some Bohning feather powder to help them stay fresh in the rain, and even when I'm stacking shalves and the fletchings look like crap in the target, you pul them out, fluff them up, and they look perfect again.

Jake-the-snake
02-26-2012, 05:46 AM
Feathers all the way baby...you can beat them up, pull them apart, clean them after they passthrough a deer...anything

I bet an arrow with 2 feathers could fly as well as an arrow with 3 full vanes on them

elkslayer4x5
02-26-2012, 06:36 AM
Feathers are very tough, shoot em thru a deer, hose em off, fluff em and they're good to go again. Also much easier to shoot, way more forgiving than plastic vanes, few folks can get a clean release with fingers shooting vanes, feathers forgive a little slop in the release, stabilize faster. Look real close at a feather, and you'll see all the air foils, way more than even the most expencive vane, because thats the natural makeup of a feather and those air fiols have to be moulded into a vane, which is why they grab more air than vanes do. Also been around as long as arrows have, even before. LOL :D

dzsmith
02-26-2012, 12:01 PM
I think I'll get some of my target arrows from last year fletched with feathers. 2" shield type and see how I like them

Spiker
02-26-2012, 02:51 PM
PM sent DZ...

kenz
02-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Shot feathers for many, many years and love them. Couple years ago I switched to try the blazer vanes. This year I'm using the Quick spin vanes. Comparing them I honestly see no difference between them flight wise. One thing I do notice is if you rip or remove a section of vane, not only is it noisy, then the flight consistency seems off. I can remove a section of feather, or even remove the whole feather and flight doesn't seem to be bothered. Feathers are tough, but I've also seen them come apart. After many, many shots, the feather will get weak. You will notice this when the arrow hits the bale and leaves little pieces of feather stuck in the target next to the arrow. I used to run cheap blood red feathers for 3-D as they would give the 'bleeding wound' effect on a target. :)

Money Man
02-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Here is a link to a thread I started here about free feather samples from truflight http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?22442-Free-Feathers&highlight=free+feathers

minnie
02-28-2012, 03:09 PM
i use feathers with my 3 bows and 3 sets of arrows. i shoot 3d and field. unable to comment about hunting.

4" shield feathers on timbers for the trad bow. beautiful flight. we put 4" feathers on the club timbers for beginners. seem to work well.
2 1/2" parabolic feathers on very light thin carbons for 3d unsighted recurve (this size feathers mainly because i had heaps of them)
2 1/2" parabolic feathers on light thin carbons for my beautiful martin mystic 3d comp bow. need these lower height feathers to clear the shoot through cables.i am also a finger shooter. sure the feathers flatten when caught on the range in the rain, but no problem for me as they fly like a well tuned and tested bareshaft. worth the time and effort getting them right.
also quick and easy to replace feathers with feather fletching tape, no need for scrapers and glue.
all i need to do now is find a source of inexpensive feathers. our trueflights and gateways are imported from the US, so we pay a lot more for them than most of you would.

NuttyNative
02-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Got a good deal on some Gold Tips with feathers yesterday and gave them a try. You be the judge, 30 yards.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/Nuttynative/20120229_124747.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/Nuttynative/20120229_124736.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/Nuttynative/20120229_124800.jpg
This is by far my best group ever with any bow or arrow combination.

dzsmith
03-06-2012, 03:19 PM
so i got my sample feathers from tru flight today, and i got some more free feathers from a guy on here. I cant find anybody locally who will fletch these for me so id like to try it myself. Do i need a special jig just for feathers or do they make jigs that will do both, i hate to buy one for feathers and hate them then have to get rid of the jig as well. any suggestions all a moderately priced one out there that works well.

wscywabbit
03-06-2012, 05:39 PM
jig should work. I've been using my Arizona EZ Fletcher Mini on my 2" gateway and true flight feathers, works well. It has a slight helical and they shoot great!

elkslayer4x5
03-07-2012, 05:22 AM
No special jig needed to fletch feathers. Any of them will do the job. However, I do prefer a Bitzenberger.

bfisher
03-07-2012, 06:43 AM
No special jig needed to fletch feathers. Any of them will do the job. However, I do prefer a Bitzenberger.

The only special need here is that your jig has to have the proper helical to match the feathers or vise versa; Right wing clamp for RW feathers and left for LW. However, feathers can be put on straight and they will still have a little helical just due to their natural shape. If you want straight offset then the same rule applies as when using a helical clamp. Angle right for RW; left for LW. And because feathers naturally want to curl it might be advisable to give the glue a bit more time to dry. Then put a dab of glue at each end of the feather, which we call spot gluing.

dzsmith
03-07-2012, 07:14 AM

I have heard good things about the bitzenberger and I know a man at my bow club that has one, I think I'm gonna try it