PDA

View Full Version : Help? Fury and Nitro cam question??

jwatts
02-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Hi, i am in the market for a new bow, i went to my local dealer today and shot a Cougar with the FuryXT cam. Very nice bow but the cam seemed a little harsh for me. Then i shot the Silencer with the Nitro Cam, Wow, very smooth to draw back. I really liked it. The dealer said the Nitro cams are faster and Fury is slower but jeez, the nitro seemed SO MUCH smoother and comfortable to shoot. I would have thought the Fury would have been smoother. I guess my question is, i'm wondering if the Cougar with Nitro cam shoots kind of like the Silencer pro? Any info would be greatly appriciated.. Im not concerned about speed,i want a smooth,comfortable bow to shoot and hunt with.. On another note i shot a Hoyt Rampage also. The bow was a 60-70# but set at 55#. It had a heck of a Vibration in the handle.. I noticed the Martins didn't have any vibration.

WileyJ
02-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Look into a martin onza! Nitro dual cams, smooth draw, good speed, and quiet! Oh and it will cost you less than a Rampage!

bfisher
02-26-2012, 04:25 PM
I haven't shot the Fury XT cam to be able to compare them but do find the Nitro to have a pretty nice draw cycle for a speed cam. I do have to ask you if both bows were set for the same draw weight and draw length. If they were a different draw length that can make a huge difference. However, being as both the Silencer and Cougar are the same a2a I would say that if you were blindfolded you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them if they have the same cam system and set up the same. Could it be that the Machining of the Cougar appeals to you more? It is kind of unique looking.

Oh by the way, welcome to the Tech Forums.

MLN1963
02-26-2012, 07:45 PM
The Silencer and Cougar FC are twins. The Cougar FC gets the cool cat claws in the riser, the silencer is more open. The cougar with Nitro cams is going to shoot just like a Silencer with Nitro cams because for all intents and purposes they are the same bow. The Cougar is in the Pro line and the Silencer in the Gold line. For $40 more I liked the claws and thought they were worth it, but that is just a personal preference. I have the 2011 Firecat 400 which was renamed the Cougar FC in 2012.

I hope that helps you out.

Thermodude
02-27-2012, 12:26 AM
I haven't shot the Fury XT cam to be able to compare them but do find the Nitro to have a pretty nice draw cycle for a speed cam. I do have to ask you if both bows were set for the same draw weight and draw length. If they were a different draw length that can make a huge difference. However, being as both the Silencer and Cougar are the same a2a I would say that if you were blindfolded you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them if they have the same cam system and set up the same. Could it be that the Machining of the Cougar appeals to you more? It is kind of unique looking.

Oh by the way, welcome to the Tech Forums.

I too have to ask if both bows were set up the same? Im shooting a Fury XT and its one of the smoothist cams Ive ever shot. Ive got my bow maxed out at 72 lbs and it takes no effort to draw it. I was even skeptical that the limbs were 70 lb limbs........but the scale dosnt lie.

jwatts
02-27-2012, 04:52 AM
The draw lengths were very close but the poundages were different. I think I may have to really stress them setting my draw length and poundage I shoot to get the exact feel. Thanks again for the info

wscywabbit
02-27-2012, 07:19 AM
Actually, I think the Fury cam's draw is just a little harsher than the Nitro's. I've played with both and I can tell there's a difference. But if you think about it, the dual cam has two cables and two cams splitting the work load so it would be a little easier. Especially since there's only 10-15 fps difference between the two (depending on bow and brace height) . And with the increase in speed the Fury cams have over the Accutrak, you would expect them to be a little harder of a cam.

Tosi
02-27-2012, 09:11 AM
I have both 2011 Fire Cat 400 Nitro Cam and 2012 Cougar with the Fury Cam. Both are very good bows. Comparing the two bows the Fire Cats draw is a little smother and the Fire Cat yes is much faster. The back wall on the Cougar is muck better, especilly if you're in a tree stand. My primary bow is the Fire Cat 400 as it shoots a little flatter out after 50 yards. I do shoot the Cougar with better accuracy then the Fire Cat and is a little more forgiving on release. Both bows are set with the same set up 29/70lbs w/ Limb Driver standard and Black Gold 5 pin Rush. You can't go wrong with either bow to hunt big game with. You may want to look @ the 2012 Pantera as it has a 34 ATA with a 7' brace and shoot out to 330fps and is $499.

andy_camping
02-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Since I'm primarily a treestand hunter the Bengal and her 31" ATA are sweet. Yes, the single Fury Cam does have a little hump but I feel that's expected with a single cam. The draw up to that point is very smooth though and the back wall is to die for....it really locks in. The adjustable range in draw weight and draw length is where the Fury XT really shines and was a great selling point. By the time I'm done with it my wife, daughter or son can use it without any difficulty. Just my 2 cents.

coachjdub
02-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Since I'm primarily a treestand hunter the Bengal and her 31" ATA are sweet. Yes, the single Fury Cam does have a little hump but I feel that's expected with a single cam. The draw up to that point is very smooth though and the back wall is to die for....it really locks in. The adjustable range in draw weight and draw length is where the Fury XT really shines and was a great selling point. By the time I'm done with it my wife, daughter or son can use it without any difficulty. Just my 2 cents.

They are not mentioning it, cause the thread was about 2 different cams the Fury and the Nitro, the Bengal is not offered in both cams. Bengal is a good bow, but that is not what the thread is about. Read the original post.

coachjdub
02-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Are the Nitro Cams reaching their IBO? I know that this has been a problem with Martin in the past, Including my bow,a 2009 MOAB, that they have not been able to reach the advertised IBO.

gravedigger
02-27-2012, 06:29 PM
They are not mentioning it, cause the thread was about 2 different cams the Fury and the Nitro, the Bengal is not offered in both cams. Bengal is a good bow, but that is not what the thread is about. Read the original post.

hmmmm did you read the ops post at all.it was a question on cams and a bow in question.just because the other guy does not own the bow in question does not meen he did not add to the thread.the fellow above was giveing his 2 cents on the furry xt and nothing more.you should really read through the place and get to know what us folks are about.

jwatts
02-28-2012, 07:37 AM
hmmmm did you read the ops post at all.it was a question on cams and a bow in question.just because the other guy does not own the bow in question does not meen he did not add to the thread.the fellow above was giveing his 2 cents on the furry xt and nothing more.you should really read through the place and get to know what us folks are about.

That's correct. I'm looking for any kind of info on nitro or fury cam owners and bows for that matter too. I greatly appreciate all info on Martin bows, just gettin a feel for which cam I should get. I did originally want the Bengal (and still might) but I was amazed by the smoothness of the nitro cam. I need help, lol. I don't know what to buy.

gravedigger
02-28-2012, 08:27 AM
That's correct. I'm looking for any kind of info on nitro or fury cam owners and bows for that matter too. I greatly appreciate all info on Martin bows, just gettin a feel for which cam I should get. I did originally want the Bengal (and still might) but I was amazed by the smoothness of the nitro cam. I need help, lol. I don't know what to buy.

the only bow you should buy is the one you want.all the good things i have heard on the nitro cams are pushing me twords a them,but with the new fury it has so many options for dl and dw it is crazy.i have not shot either of the new cams but man i am glad im not in your shoes right now lol.to many good chioces it like a kid in a candy shop.

my insight is i would want to get a bow with the new fury xt so i can shoot it and i can set it up for my wife to shoot it,that is the selling point for me.but i also want to the nitro cams as well.

what ever you get buddy im sure you will love it.oh and post up some pics when you get what your looking for.when i get mine im just going to say i got a bow and not tell what i got.lol

bfisher
02-28-2012, 11:39 AM
what ever you get buddy im sure you will love it.oh and post up some pics when you get what your looking for.when i get mine im just going to say i got a bow and not tell what i got.lol

That's not allowed. You not only have to tell us what you got, but pictures are manditory for you. As a mod you're supposed to show a good example. LOL.

coachjdub
02-28-2012, 02:24 PM

Sorry didn't mean to stir the pot. I was a member on here for years, but haven't' visited i a while and my screen name was gone when I tried to log on last night so had to create a new one. I found lots of info when I bought my MOAB a few years back.

I did read the original post and the question was "I guess my question is, i'm wondering if the Cougar with Nitro cam shoots kind of like the Silencer pro?"

So that is why I didn't think an opinion about a Bengal added much to the thread. Sorry I was wrong. I am very interested in this topic of the two cams. In particular the IBO on the Nitro Cam. Just wondering if it will meet the advertised IBO. The brace height with the advertised IBO and the comments of a smooth draw on the Cougar are very appealing to me. I hope to stay in the Martin family with my next bow.

Thermodude
02-28-2012, 02:38 PM
I cant answer about the Couger or the Silencer but I do know ah little about the Pantera ( FuryXT) and as of tonight I picked up an Onza III ( Nitro ) to go along with it. Both bows are very , very smooth.......both of my bows are maxed out.....Pantera at 72lbs and Onza at 73lbs and it takes nothing to draw these bows. I dont notice any extreme build of force with either cam. The Nitro is fast, very fast......the Fury XT is pretty plain Jane as far as speed, however along with the Pantera this is a very accurate combo, this is my 3D rig. In the next few days Ill know more about the Nitro cam.........Im pretty sure Im gonna like this bow!!!

gravedigger
02-28-2012, 03:21 PM
That's not allowed. You not only have to tell us what you got, but pictures are manditory for you. As a mod you're supposed to show a good example. LOL.

ohhh it will just be till it gets to my door,then it will be on like donkey kong.kind of like what NN did when he got his.no doubt lots and lots of pics.got to set an example,not on spelling of course:p

wscywabbit
02-28-2012, 03:22 PM
Sorry didn't mean to stir the pot. I was a member on here for years, but haven't' visited i a while and my screen name was gone when I tried to log on last night so had to create a new one. I found lots of info when I bought my MOAB a few years back.

I did read the original post and the question was "I guess my question is, i'm wondering if the Cougar with Nitro cam shoots kind of like the Silencer pro?"

So that is why I didn't think an opinion about a Bengal added much to the thread. Sorry I was wrong. I am very interested in this topic of the two cams. In particular the IBO on the Nitro Cam. Just wondering if it will meet the advertised IBO. The brace height with the advertised IBO and the comments of a smooth draw on the Cougar are very appealing to me. I hope to stay in the Martin family with my next bow.

No worries man, we're all friends here. ;)

As to whether Martins bows will reach IBO, I'd have to say yes. I have an Onza, which has the Nitro cams, and have done some extensive playing with it. I have no doubt it would reach the stated speeds. The 2011 Firecat 400 (2012 Cougar FC) has a shorter ATA, a shorter brace, and these two components should get the extra 5 fps between it and the Onza.

For a little more evidence check the videos about the Onza reviews at Ike's Outdoors. Watch the original review first, then the "retested" video:

http://www.ikesoutdoors.com/2011-bow-reviews.html

gravedigger
02-28-2012, 03:28 PM

thanks for that,no doubt you are a man with morals.alot of us have a hard time staying on topic....kind of keeps things fun with good info to boot.we got hacked last march i think it was and alot of info was lost.you account was probly one that got lost as well....darn hackers anyhow.now a days the admins,mods and super mod keep all the spammers out.and sorry if i came off as a... you know what.

coachjdub
02-28-2012, 03:44 PM
thanks for that,no doubt you are a man with morals.alot of us have a hard time staying on topic....kind of keeps things fun with good info to boot.we got hacked last march i think it was and alot of info was lost.you account was probly one that got lost as well....darn hackers anyhow.now a days the admins,mods and super mod keep all the spammers out.and sorry if i came off as a... you know what.

Not at all. Thanks.

elkslayer4x5
02-29-2012, 07:16 AM
the only bow you should buy is the one you want.all the good things i have heard on the nitro cams are pushing me twords a them,but with the new fury it has so many options for dl and dw it is crazy.i have not shot either of the new cams but man i am glad im not in your shoes right now lol.to many good chioces it like a kid in a candy shop.

my insight is i would want to get a bow with the new fury xt so i can shoot it and i can set it up for my wife to shoot it,that is the selling point for me.but i also want to the nitro cams as well.

Oh yeah, I believe that. NOT! :D