PDA

View Full Version : Spine guestion

jhastie
02-26-2012, 03:19 PM
So I have a 2004 Slayr set at 70 pounds with a 28 inch draw length using mini mods. I have a tubed peep, d loop, and golf ball sized whiskers on the string. A friend and I were out tuning our bows and I was getting tear in the paper (right I think it was)... at this point i will tell you I am shooting Easton ST Epic's 400 spine cut at 27 inches with a 100 gr point. So he looked in his tuning book he got with his bow (APA Black Mamba) and it said to try a heavier arrow point or a weaker shaft so we went and tried a 125 gr point and we got perfect bullet holes. Am I missing something here because all of the programs are suggesting I use a stiffer arrow but in order to correct the tear I had to make the spine weaker? or at least I think thats what happens when you use a heavier point.

bfisher
02-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Yes, I believe most spine charts would suggest a 340 spine with a 100 gr point, but that's why we always say there are exceptions to the rule. I wouold suggest shooting through paper at several distances between 4' and say 20'. If you're still getting bullet holes then so be it. If you plan on hunting with the bow then get to broadhead shooting and see how they fly. If they are good then call it day and be happy.