PDA

View Full Version : lost peep today

motohead1967
03-02-2012, 07:34 PM
I lost my peep today it was there on one shoot then it was gone. So I ajusted my sight becouse I wanted to keep shooting. Did just as good with out. question is what kind of peep is good for hunting and small or a open v type.

wscywabbit
03-02-2012, 08:15 PM
I use one of the blue meta peeps from G5. For hunting you'll want a large aperture peep probably 3/16" or 1/4" to let in add much light as possible during dawn and dusk hours. Circle or V style is a personal preference thing though. I've been thinking of maybe trying a V type, but I like my meta ;)

motohead1967
03-02-2012, 10:29 PM
I use one of the blue meta peeps from G5. For hunting you'll want a large aperture peep probably 3/16" or 1/4" to let in add much light as possible during dawn and dusk hours. Circle or V style is a personal preference thing though. I've been thinking of maybe trying a type, but I like my meta ;)

ty for the info. I had a 1/16 but not no more. I think Iam going to get the meta and a V try both and tye them in my self this time.

droppixel
03-03-2012, 04:28 AM
I shoot the 1/4" Hunter Meta - no complaints on it one bit. Get it set and tied in properly and you will be set. Spiker here I think can hook you up with one power-coated to match your strings if you get in touch with him.

bfisher
03-03-2012, 05:44 AM
It's not well known, but Martin actually markets it in their catalog. It's called Predator's View. If you're looking for something mostly for hunting this thing works very well. Google it and if you have any questions give me a yell.

motohead1967
03-03-2012, 09:20 PM
ty all for the info. I am trying the string splitter micro. It give a good size sight hole. Now all I have to do is finish sighting in.

wscywabbit
03-04-2012, 06:06 AM
Nice, I've been wondering about those myself. Once you get it all set up and some shots down range, let us know what you think about it! ;)

boobowbender
03-04-2012, 07:16 AM
Alright i just tried posting the thread i started not too long ago about this same topic.
I ended buying the ep red eye because they were on clearanced at the local gander mtn. what i learned about the string splitters is "don't tie them in too tight or they could cut your string.
i may come off as a smartalic towards the end of this thread, just too many choices. a guy could spend a hundred dollars just trying different peeps till he finds one he really likes

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?22220-anyone-seen-this-peep

bfisher
03-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Alright i just tried posting the thread i started not too long ago about this same topic.
I ended buying the ep red eye because they were on clearanced at the local gander mtn. what i learned about the string splitters is "don't tie them in too tight or they could cut your string.
i may come off as a smartalic towards the end of this thread, just too many choices. a guy could spend a hundred dollars just trying different peeps till he finds one he really likes

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?22220-anyone-seen-this-peep

I've heard and seen the same thing about the String Splitter. I agree that a possible solution is to not serve it too close on the botton side.

Red Eye? I've read about these things cutting strings because of sharp edges. Be sure and smooth them out. There are other peeps similar like Specialty or Fletcher that have had much less problems and frankly, if you want it red then some spray paint can take care of that. Not saying the Red Eye still has those problems. Just be aware of what's happened to others in the past.

boobowbender
03-04-2012, 09:23 AM
do you think some colors would work better in low light? lets say i use my dremel to polish it silver to my match my silver black h&s strings and stainless screws. or is a dark color better to look through?
BTW i learned about the split peep string cutting problems from you, so thanks barry.

droppixel
03-04-2012, 10:00 AM
G5 meta comes in red ...

bfisher
03-04-2012, 10:48 AM
I don't know if different colors are better in different light conditions or not. I haven't tried anything but black. I think some guys want a color to match their strings. Then there are guys who may think they need a color so they can see their peep. I don't know. I've always just figured I don't need to see the peep. I take the time to tweak the bow's draw length so it fits me perfectly, As I draw and anchor I keep my eye on my intended target and never move my head or have a need to. Then I set set the peep so I see THROUGH it at anchor and never bother to notice whether I see the peep or not.

Saying this, it's just one of the details I pay attention to when setting a bow up for me. I use a peep all the time, but have practiced enough without one that I can shoot about as accurately out to 35 yards without a peep. Well, let me say for hunting accuracy. For me that means about 4" groups at 35 yards. So really, before I gave up hunting I could have done just as well without a peep. I just never convinced myself of it when hunting season came.

Ehunter
03-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Not sure about any particular colors or how they'd work, but I do know that one that has had the paint removed is a nightmare. Nothing but glare. I'd imagine that light colors (white, yellow, flour. green, etc.) would be about the same. I use an off sized peep hole, so I have to drill mine out myself. Just the slightly polished metal in the drill hole is enough to give alot of glare, so I always repaint it.