PDA

View Full Version : Bengal ? string wear

welder75
03-04-2012, 01:53 PM
HEY, I have a ? about the new bengal I got about 1 month ago. My string is really wearing out where it comes off the end of the fury cam. I have only shot around 50 or so shots and it has wore through the serving and now is through the 1 strand of string.It is below the speed ball and at the end of the last part of the cam. Any suggestions and,or, what should I do?

wscywabbit
03-04-2012, 02:05 PM
I would either take it to your Martin dealer and have them look at it, or call Martin customer service and ask them about it. Even if you have to leave a voice mail they will get back to you ASAP...

SJunior
03-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Post up some pics of the string and cam so we might see it.

welder75
03-04-2012, 02:27 PM
would like to send you pictures but bow is at the pro shop where I got it. But we have been trying things to fix the problem with little luck. put new serving on it and it took it off in about 20 shots. looking to see if any one else is having the same issue as me? I do have a black bengal and was looking to see if there was maybe a limb or cam issue for the problem.

motohead1967
03-04-2012, 03:20 PM
I am having the same problem with my new bengal. I will post some pictures of my string. as you can see the string running to the right side of the came. that or iam seeing things. sorry have to read on picture resizing

bfisher
03-04-2012, 04:00 PM
MOTOHEAD, the problem with the pics is not the size, but the focus. YOu're cameraa is too close to the subject matter.

welder75
03-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Thank you for your input, but the picture you sent is wear on the buss cable, my wear is there also but it is more on the string I am going to go get pictures in the next day or so when I can get time to get to the archery shop and I will up load some pics. I am just a guy looking for answers to solve a problem. Love the bow and it shots very well and have been a martin owner before.

elkslayer4x5
03-05-2012, 05:06 AM
HEY, I have a ? about the new bengal I got about 1 month ago. My string is really wearing out where it comes off the end of the fury cam. I have only shot around 50 or so shots and it has wore through the serving and now is through the 1 strand of string.It is below the speed ball and at the end of the last part of the cam. Any suggestions and,or, what should I do?

Sounds like there is a rough spot at or near or transition from the cam to module. Check to see if the string tansfers smoothly, and that there is no tool marks there, if so take them out with a fine file and sandpaper.

bfisher
03-05-2012, 06:12 AM
Sounds like there is a rough spot at or near or transition from the cam to module. Check to see if the string tansfers smoothly, and that there is no tool marks there, if so take them out with a fine file and sandpaper.

4x5, you're making reference to the cable where it transistions from the cam to the module. His problem, if I understand it, is right at the spot where the STRING comes off the cam. My Nemisis did this when I first got it. What I did was removed the string and rolled up some 400 grit sandpaper and chamfered the inside edge of the cam almost the whole way around the string groove. Then I applied some ML6 string wax to the serving at that point and rubbed it in real well.

Now that was last March and I'm shooting the same string and serving with little to no further damage. What guys fail to do is inspect these areas often and just keep on shooting when the problem mightbe fixable before things get out of hand. This is where experience plays a hand.

What needs done is to redesign the cam with more of a V shape to allow for any cam lean/limb twist. If the string doesn't track dead straight off the cam this problem arises. Also maybe serve with smaller diameter end serving.

welder75
03-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Just got off the phone with the bow shop on the string wear for my bengal 2012 bow. The shop owner got with martin this week and they did a picture inspection and came up with a plan to replace the cam and put new string and cable on it and give it a test run. Thank you all for your input and I will use your advice if this does not fix it this time.

bfisher
03-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Excuse me but it sounds like you have a pretty goods shop. Rather than mess around with trying to fix something and mayb not fix it he took it to the people who can and will do something about it. I knoe we extol Martin's cusyomer service here and on other forums, but a good shop can also be part of that equation. Hope everything works out. Keep us posted so that we learn just what the problem is and what the proper fix is.

andy_camping
03-05-2012, 04:05 PM
I'm getting similar wear at the point where the buss cable comes in contact with the draw length module. Nothing feels sharp, I waxed the area really well and will keep an eye on it. Would an extra layer of serving thread do any good or could the extra thickness cause potential derailment?

archerx7
03-06-2012, 04:06 AM
I am having the same problem with my new bengal. I will post some pictures of my string. as you can see the string running to the right side of the came. that or iam seeing things. sorry have to read on picture resizing

The 1st pic shows where the cable is coming into contact with the hub, the draw stop most likley is set a little too long. The cams that are shipping now have the hub cut back a little bit more to eliminate this, in the event the stop is set too long.

The 2nd pic shows fairly normal wear on the serving for this type of module, its just the serving/string seating into the track and shouldn't get any worse, if it does get to the point of the serving coming undone, reserve it with either .014-.017 halo and that should take care of it.
The take up (module) track on most single cam bows can be fairly hard on serving if the proper serving isn't used and applied under enough tension. I believe Martin uses 3D end serving which is a very good general purpose end serving, but halo will generally wear a little better on the module track.

Not sure about the 3rd pic.........a little out of focus to make out any problem.

bfisher
03-06-2012, 04:41 AM
I'm getting similar wear at the point where the buss cable comes in contact with the draw length module. Nothing feels sharp, I waxed the area really well and will keep an eye on it. Would an extra layer of serving thread do any good or could the extra thickness cause potential derailment?

An extra layer or thicker serving would only make things worse and it wouldn't fit into the cable groove well and would likely cause premature wear where it rubs the edge of the groove. Read Archerx7's post just above this.

andy_camping
03-06-2012, 06:08 AM
Thanks Jim,
That's exactly what it looks like. It really isn't cutting the serving just kind of mashing it at that location. I'll try and take some better pictures and post them.

archerx7
03-06-2012, 06:20 AM
Thanks Jim,
That's exactly what it looks like. It really isn't cutting the serving just kind of mashing it at that location. I'll try and take some better pictures and post them.

Pretty normal for that style module, its just the cable/serving forming itself to the shape of the track itself as its going through the mod under tension. That style mod has more of a V shape than a U shape and because of the small diameter of the mod and the sharp radius the cable has to go around, it will try to form itself to the track.

welder75
03-10-2012, 07:24 AM
Hey its me again and I got my bengal back last night and did a little shooting today. After about 20 shots I saw there was the same string wear as I had before the new cam, string, and cable. I did take notice that it was not as bad as before, so I took action and used your advice. I took the string off in my press and took sand paper to the inside and outside of the cam for about 2 inches and used easton synthetic bow wax on the string at the wear points and filled the cam up with a layer. Took the bow out and shot 100 or so shots and no wear anymore! Thank you all so much for all your advice. Hats off to you bfisher for this important piece of info. Thanks again Welder75 .....

bfisher
03-10-2012, 09:53 AM
You're welcome, but keep an eye on it and if it continues I would contact Joel at the warranty dept. Please consider that they may not shoot the bows as much as we do and if nobody reports such problems then they have no idea that it is happening. You kow the old saying----no news is good news.

barryd
03-10-2012, 02:01 PM
I have a bengal pro with the same problem. First I shot it about 5 shots a peace of the serving was sticking out from the cam. took It to the bow shop. They told me the pin on the cam were the string connects was bent a little. Martin sent them a new string and cam they put it on. shot it about 50 shots
today. The string is wearing in the same place right were it comes off the cam

welder75
03-10-2012, 03:05 PM
59605961 Here are some of the pictures of my string wear before I got the new cam and string from the pro shop. I think that if I wouldn't have sanded it, I'm sure it would have did it again.

Thermodude
03-10-2012, 03:31 PM
I had the same thing happen this week on my Pantera, I had noticed the serving kinda wearing for a couple weeks but it didnt seem that bad, I shoot this bow alot becuase its my 3D bow..................was practicing Tuseday night and the bow was shooting great really dialed in and I was pumped about the shoot tomarrow.....................then I looked down and saw that the serving was toast. I called Martin CS and spoke with Joel and they are sending me a new cam plus string, I shouldm have it by this Tuseday. Joel was great and I appreciate thier service very much. My question is has this problem been resolved or am I gonna recieve a cam thats gonna do the same thing? I have no problem with dressing the cam if thats what it takes.........thats what Dremmel tools are for, but the bottom line is I shouldnt have to. Sorry just aggrevated about missing the shoot tommorrow.

barryd
03-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the pics welder75. I'm having the same problem. I've wax it good going to watch see what happens. I'm Going to call
Martin monday see what they say.If I have to I'll work on the cam. I really like the bow. It shoots really good, its the Black one just like yours. I've had Martin bows for 30 years, a little bit disappointed.

welder75
03-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Thermodude, you do what you want but I have went through 2 servings on same string, And I started to wear off the serving on the 2 nd. string, that is when I took bfishers advice listed in this thread a few posts ago. The pro shop and I did prolong the string for awhile with gorilla glue to keep on shooting when we reserved the 1 st. string but that was not a fix. I posted today and at that post I had 100 or so shots after sanding the cam. I went out to my range and shot another 100 + and still looks like a new string. Good luck.... wax and sandpaper good fix... NOTE I'm not sure I would use a dremmel 300 grit sandpaper worked and was real quick.

Thermodude
03-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Dremmel buffing tool with automotive wax works great........result is a glass finish, my concern is that obviously this is a known problem and are the cams being sent out at this time revised or the same?

welder75
03-10-2012, 04:30 PM
My new cam was sent on FRI. March 9 2012 and it was not revised on the 2012 bengal. Was the same cam as I had...

Thermodude
03-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Got my Pantera back couple days ago with a cam and shooting string change. I got it set back up and shot it yesterday morning, after about 20 shots I realized the problem was still there. As bad as I hated to have to do this to a new bow I took it apart, sanded and buffed the inner edge of the cam were it was wearing into my serving. I packed the cam with wax and so far it seems to be working. I really hope that this problem is being looked into.

joelc
03-19-2012, 04:50 AM
The 1st pic shows where the cable is coming into contact with the hub, the draw stop most likley is set a little too long. The cams that are shipping now have the hub cut back a little bit more to eliminate this, in the event the stop is set too long.

The 2nd pic shows fairly normal wear on the serving for this type of module, its just the serving/string seating into the track and shouldn't get any worse, if it does get to the point of the serving coming undone, reserve it with either .014-.017 halo and that should take care of it.
The take up (module) track on most single cam bows can be fairly hard on serving if the proper serving isn't used and applied under enough tension. I believe Martin uses 3D end serving which is a very good general purpose end serving, but halo will generally wear a little better on the module track.

Not sure about the 3rd pic.........a little out of focus to make out any problem.

That would be exactly what I would say. Everything from the photo shows normal string wear with exception of photos 1 which clearly shows minor damage from an improper position of the draw stop.

welder75
03-20-2012, 04:00 PM
That would be exactly what I would say. Everything from the photo shows normal string wear with exception of photos 1 which clearly shows minor damage from an improper position of the draw stop.

joelc hi,welder75 here and I posted pictures. 2 of them not 3 and they were on thread page 2,post #20. I'm not sure if my string wear is normal? And I just worked on a cougar with a fury cam and there is a very defined ridge on the end of the cam where the string ends and I sanded it as well. PROBLEM SOLVED but I shouldn't have to ..... new bow .... Just frustrating.

barryd
03-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Took my bow to the shop. They sent it back to Martin, who knows how long that will take. Shop aready put one new string and cam on it. Really Disapointed

Thermodude
03-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Took my bow to the shop. They sent it back to Martin, who knows how long that will take. Shop aready put one new string and cam on it. Really Disapointed

Keep us posted on what you find out!

coastie hunter
03-28-2012, 05:02 AM
This has always been a problem on single cam bows not just martin. go the mathews fourm and you will see what I am talking about. a good serving will fix it.

Thermodude
03-28-2012, 05:46 AM
This has always been a problem on single cam bows not just martin. go the mathews fourm and you will see what I am talking about. a good serving will fix it.

I do agree that there is a normal wear factor with single cam bows ,most of it being with cable wear. The problem thats talked about most in this thread concerns mostly shooting string wear at the top end of the cam. Ive experianced this problem twice with my Pantera. The last time was just after a cam and string change. I found what seemed to be the problem area at the top of the cam, sanded and polished it..........so far it seems to have worked. Im carefull to keep lots of wax in that area and hope my luck with it continues.

barryd
04-21-2012, 10:01 PM
New bow has been gone for a month now. I dont know what's doing on. Really disappointed. If somthing dont happen this is my last Martin bow

Thermodude
04-22-2012, 06:14 AM
New bow has been gone for a month now. I dont know what's doing on. Really disappointed. If somthing dont happen this is my last Martin bow

Have you called to check on the status? If not 1st thing on Monday Id give Martin CS a phone call.

seandrummond
04-22-2012, 07:36 AM

Call and find out whats going on, I had to send my Bear in for service a couple of years ago and it took forever, I called them and came to find out they accidently shipped it with the wrong address and it got stuck in limbo had to be returned to the factory and then reshipped, simple mistake it could happen to anyone, my point is get the facts before you jump to conclusions and go on a rant about customer service, Martin has a great reputation so I'd give em a fair chance

barryd
04-23-2012, 08:34 PM
This is a new 2 months old. been in shop for two weeks. New cam and string. shot about 60 shots same problem. Shop said they couldn't fix it they sent it to Martin cs They've had it a month.I think they 've had a fair chance. Only owned it 2 months. my hard earnrd money paid for this bow I think I have a right to want my bow back.

elkslayer4x5
04-24-2012, 08:48 AM
A month is'nt all that much time when you concider the bow is traveling cross country, twice, your shop could'nt figure it out in two weeks, might be that the techs in Walla Walla are working hard on your bow, give it some time.......Just sayin.

droppixel
04-24-2012, 09:25 AM
^^ And if it is warranty it isn't going to cost you anything. Better than having to drop $70 on a new set of strings and if the cams are defective, they will be replacing those as well. Think of the cost that could be associated with this if you were shooting another brand that isn't as generous with their customers. I know not having the bow in hand really sucks, but for what they do for us, it is worth the wait in my opinion. Everyone here understands your frustration, but as Joel said once here - "you'll catch more flies with honey"

seandrummond
04-24-2012, 01:57 PM
This is a new 2 months old. been in shop for two weeks. New cam and string. shot about 60 shots same problem. Shop said they couldn't fix it they sent it to Martin cs They've had it a month.I think they 've had a fair chance. Only owned it 2 months. my hard earnrd money paid for this bow I think I have a right to want my bow back.

My hard earned money just paid for a new Bengal as well, I waited 2 months to get it and if something goes wrong with it I'll send it back to Martin and wait to get it back, thats just how it goes, if you think it's taking too long quit whining about it and call them.

droppixel
04-27-2012, 12:24 AM
Just want to check on this myself to prevent any wear if possible. I know you aren't going to be able to stop all of it, but any is good. How does this rotation look, I'm guessing it might be too far and that the tick near 1 should be parallel to the cable? **Edit** Figured out that the minus should not be parallel ... guess just trying to figure out what the correct "stop" would be for the cam rotation. Don't want to over do it.

bfisher
04-27-2012, 08:39 AM
DP, you need to resize the picture. Usually about 25% of this size. Blown up like this makes it very blurry.

droppixel
04-27-2012, 09:43 AM
DP, you need to resize the picture. Usually about 25% of this size. Blown up like this makes it very blurry.

HOLY COW! didn't know it was that big, wasn't displaying like that for me last night. Here is a new one.

Don't know if it can come around a little more, or if I should just stick to where the stop is right now. The draw feels pretty good, but a little more wouldn't hurt with the letoff and overall length. I have it set on the 4 hole.

droppixel
05-01-2012, 12:45 AM
Just a bump to see if anyone knows where the proper stop is for these cams for the cable to be seated into the mod.

wscywabbit
05-01-2012, 10:03 AM
I don't have one of these cams, but I will take a closer look at my brother in law's Cougar...

droppixel
05-01-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm trying to do it in my head without looking at it right now. I'm thinking it needs to come back a little so the minus next to the 1 is more straight up and down. The modules have a taper at the end and I think that "pinch" point is what is giving people the problems. Here is where the thinking happens, so looking at this the draw would need to be a little shorter, but doing so with the draw stop will decrease let-off which isn't the end of the world, but it is short. So I'm thinking I need to change from the 4 hole to 4.5 and then adjust it a shorter with the draw stop. Does that sound right? Doing that will have the module at full draw come back counter clock wise which will bring the cable back into the module channel a little more?

Might be overthinking this :confused:

wscywabbit
05-01-2012, 03:47 PM
nope sounds like you're on the right track. Besides, all you can do is try right? :)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-01-2012, 03:51 PM
I'm trying to do it in my head without looking at it right now. I'm thinking it needs to come back a little so the minus next to the 1 is more straight up and down. The modules have a taper at the end and I think that "pinch" point is what is giving people the problems. Here is where the thinking happens, so looking at this the draw would need to be a little shorter, but doing so with the draw stop will decrease let-off which isn't the end of the world, but it is short. So I'm thinking I need to change from the 4 hole to 4.5 and then adjust it a shorter with the draw stop. Does that sound right? Doing that will have the module at full draw come back counter clock wise which will bring the cable back into the module channel a little more?

Might be overthinking this :confused:

If I am reading this right dp I believe you are going in the right direction. Full draw set in the module groove not over clocked and the drawstop set to shorten it a little. Making it the most let of you can get.

Hutch:cool:

droppixel
05-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Might run the bow over to my dad's and have him look at it with me. Try to get my wife to do it but she get's all irritated by it. It makes sense to me, but hard to know until I see it. But I feel pretty confident the taper at the end of the module at the 1 hole is what is causing people's problems and that is where Joel has said the stop is set too long.

coastie hunter
05-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Wheres Joel maybe he knows.

Thermodude
05-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Might run the bow over to my dad's and have him look at it with me. Try to get my wife to do it but she get's all irritated by it. It makes sense to me, but hard to know until I see it. But I feel pretty confident the taper at the end of the module at the 1 hole is what is causing people's problems and that is where Joel has said the stop is set too long.

The problem I had with my Fury Cam was obvious.........there was a sharp ridge at the end of the cam in the groove were the cam came to rest........you could feel it with your finger nail. As soon as I smoothed that out the problem went away..........I saw the same thing on a Bengal that another guy had.

droppixel
05-01-2012, 10:20 PM
There was a little lip on mine also, no biggie it was a quick thing to smooth out. I might take a look at it again just to see, but still would like to find out what the optimal rotation of the cam is and where the cable should come to rest in the mod. Anything we can do to figure out the best performance out of these new cams I'm all for.

andy_camping
05-02-2012, 09:48 AM
I'm very interested in this thread, Ryan. I've been fiddling with my draw a bit also. I've recently moved from the 3.5 hole to 4 hole on the module to try and see if my draw stop was creating the wear on the buss cable serving. As soon as I move the draw stop to a comfortable back wall it seems to contact the same spot on the cable. If I push the stop to the minus direction the cam feels like it wants to take off. I think I'm just to the plus side of half way on the draw stop. I'll try and attach some pictures tonight.

andy_camping
05-02-2012, 09:56 AM
I'm very interested in this thread, Ryan. I've been fiddling with my draw a bit also. I've recently moved from the 3.5 hole to 4 hole on the module to try and see if my draw stop was creating the wear on the buss cable serving. As soon as I move the draw stop to a comfortable back wall it seems to contact the same spot on the cable. If I push the stop to the minus direction the cam feels like it wants to take off. I think I'm just to the plus side of half way on the draw stop. I'll try and attach some pictures tonight.

droppixel
05-02-2012, 11:42 AM

This is what I am getting also. I definitely found out that taking mine to 4.5 it was just too long and trying to shorten it up with the stop made the let-off crazy low. So I went back to 4 and set it again. I think I have a good spot, think the key is to keep an eye on the edges of the modules, but still would like to hear from Martin if possible where and what the optimal rotation of the cam should be, where the cable should rest in the mod.

The other thing with the wear and this isn't a slam, I think is the servings. Some of us are used to Halo serving which really stands up and these just feel a bit different assuming it might be 3D or similar. This is just the nature of the beast and something we will eventually figure out, but I can say with 100% certainty as a whole that I love this Bengal.

andy_camping
05-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Any status updates from anyone?

droppixel
05-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Haven't heard anything specific, but I do know mine is shooting lights out! Keeping an eye on the strings/cables haven't noticed anything major aside from a little separation as the cable runs around the poundage posts. Just filled it in with wax and worked it in really well.

I'm sure if one of the "super" tuners gets a hold of one more info might drop out. Hard to know since the cam is so new yet.

andy_camping
05-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I'm doing the same thing. Bow is shooting fantastic, just keeping an eye on the serving in that spot.