PDA

View Full Version : OK, tear my form apart...........

deerchser
03-04-2012, 05:27 PM
just what I said, Tear it up. I have never posted and asked for advice on my form, I think it's about time. Dont hold back, I'm a big boy.

here is what I think: My right elbow is too high, bow arm might be a little low. It looks like I am leaning back in the pic, but I made sure that I had equal weight on both feet. My spine does send my upper body to the right a touch so that might be part of it.
Ok, your turn.....

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm248/deerchser/bowform.jpg

wscywabbit
03-04-2012, 06:03 PM
And the mug is ugly but the bow looks good :)

deerchser
03-04-2012, 06:20 PM
And the mug is ugly but the bow looks good :)

LOL, some things just cant be helped.

wscywabbit
03-04-2012, 06:47 PM
It's kinda sending mixed signals because you're leaning back like your draw is too long, but the angle of your release arm is slightly high like your draw is to short...

gravedigger
03-04-2012, 07:05 PM
i think your anchor is a little high,not much but a bit.http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?23196-Correct-Anchor-point&p=84476#post84476

deerchser
03-05-2012, 10:36 AM
i think your anchor is a little high,not much but a bit.http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?23196-Correct-Anchor-point&p=84476#post84476

I have seen this thread before. I have that same nuckle slightly lower than he is showing in the pic. I settle the nuckle in the pocket just behind/under my ear lobe.

I think it looks like I am leaning back due to the jacket and the fact that the target is slightly lower than I am and I am not bending at the waist as I should be.

wscywabbit
03-05-2012, 01:14 PM
ya, and your big ham hands kinda hide your actual anchors lol. And I have had problems in my backyard because it is sloped and I sometimes forget to bend at the waist instead of lowering the bow... its easy to do...

gravedigger
03-05-2012, 01:35 PM
ya, and your big ham hands kinda hide your actual anchors lol. And I have had problems in my backyard because it is sloped and I sometimes forget to bend at the waist instead of lowering the bow... its easy to do...

yep i was going to ask if he had big paws,that for sure is what i am seeing.

Arrow Splitter
03-05-2012, 01:37 PM
And the mug is ugly but the bow looks good :)The hat does too.:p
Seriously though, your overall forum looks good, but it does look like the peep could be lowered a little.

A.S

WildWilt15
03-05-2012, 05:40 PM
form looks alright i suggest leaning forward and maybe gettin a longer draw length an inch if that just to help lower that arm.

deerchser
03-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Thanks guys. I will play around with some of your ideas and see if we can get this better.

bfisher
03-07-2012, 07:07 AM
I zoomed the pic and franly I can't see much wrong with your form. The high anchor is just due to acute string angle (short bow) and the fact that you are touching your nose to the string. As for the high elbow? That's much better than being too low. It proves that you are using your back muscles instead of the shoulder. For reference look up Tim Gillingham and check his, and he's a well respected pro and a heck of a shooter for Gold tip along with being their staff coordinator.

I think about the only thing I would change at this point is your stance. I think your feet are about half a step too far apart. With the feet a bit closer you'd be able to distribute your weight more evenly which might get rid of the little bit of leaning back problem.

For the most part you look pretty relaxed and that is good. You might want to play with the module and change the draw length a half inch both ways from where it is now and see if either works better for more solid aiming. Other than that just shoot the bow and get the mental part working in your favor.

deerchser
03-07-2012, 08:31 AM
I zoomed the pic and franly I can't see much wrong with your form. The high anchor is just due to acute string angle (short bow) and the fact that you are touching your nose to the string. As for the high elbow? That's much better than being too low. It proves that you are using your back muscles instead of the shoulder. For reference look up Tim Gillingham and check his, and he's a well respected pro and a heck of a shooter for Gold tip along with being their staff coordinator.

I think about the only thing I would change at this point is your stance. I think your feet are about half a step too far apart. With the feet a bit closer you'd be able to distribute your weight more evenly which might get rid of the little bit of leaning back problem.

For the most part you look pretty relaxed and that is good. You might want to play with the module and change the draw length a half inch both ways from where it is now and see if either works better for more solid aiming. Other than that just shoot the bow and get the mental part working in your favor.

Thanks Barry. I was messing around last night and found that if I push my upper body forward (or to my left, towards the bow) that my bow arm rises and my right elbow drops some. I am going to play with this a little more this weekend. As for my stance, I blame wabbit, his back yard was like standing in a mud pit.

More pics to come.

wscywabbit
03-07-2012, 10:43 AM
hey, at least I can shoot in my backyard without scaring the neighbors ;)

Just wait till we get them trees cleared out and start working on a mini 3d range....

deerchser
03-08-2012, 10:46 AM
hey, at least I can shoot in my backyard without scaring the neighbors ;)

Just wait till we get them trees cleared out and start working on a mini 3d range....

hey, I can shoot in your backyard too, but I still scare the nieghbors..........:o

I say we leave the trees, it will make it a more challenging course.

So this makes a little more since to folks reading the thread. Wabbit got a new place a while back and we cut down 14 or 15 trees out back. Well, they are still laying where they fell. Looks like a tornado went through and didnt clean up after it self.

deerchser
06-03-2012, 01:54 PM
OK, Sorry it has taken so long for me to reply with some new findings. I havent had much time to do any shooting and play with my form.

I did shorten up my draw about 1/2" and shortened my release about 1/8 to 1/4. Wabbit and I got a chance to go to the range and I resightd my bow. I have to admit, you guys where on to something. With the shorter draw I am more stable, can hold more solid and dont have a streched out feeling. I also am working on keeping my stance more "open" as I noticed I was keeping it more "closed" than I should have. I aslo moved my feet closer together. I will try to get a pic and post it soon. Thanks again for the advice.