PDA

View Full Version : Bow Models

bfisher
03-06-2012, 04:55 AM
IMO, Martin needs to take a better look at what nomenclature they put on their bow models. I think there becomes some confusion when referring to the different models. What I am talking about is the name PRO after the model name of the Gold Series bows. I think the word Pro should be reserved for those bows in the PRO series only.

Without seeing these things every day or working with them I keep having to check which is which in the catalog all the time. For instance, Prowler Pro, Onza Pro, Silencer Pro, and Exile Pro are not Pro series bows. They could also drop the FC after the name Cougar or possibly add NC (Nitro Cam) and keep FC (Fury Cam) after it to designate which respective cams are on the bow. This would be a lot easier than asking which cams are on a bow and/or checking the catalog all the time. It would also be more representative of the bows in general.

What do you guys think?

droppixel
03-06-2012, 04:57 AM
I think it is a fair assessment. If there is an Onza Pro - where is just the Onza?

Arrow Splitter
03-06-2012, 05:06 AM
I think what you're saying is right on. There should be a greater distinction in the names.

A.S

bfisher
03-06-2012, 05:33 AM
I think it is a fair assessment. If there is an Onza Pro - where is just the Onza?

Being as they didn't really change anything just rename it Onza III like it was. I was going to say move it to the Pro series lineup, but that would be detrimental to sales. There aren't Martin dealer just everywhere.

archerx7
03-06-2012, 06:04 AM
I think you may be on to something here Barry. IMO all the dual cam bows should be in the Pro series, while all the single cam bows should go to the Gold series and drop the Pro designation from the end of the name. I also think they need to take a look at how many bows they have with the same specs, and maybe drop a couple from the line and add something in the 36" and 38" range to satisfy the taller archers with longer draws.
Maybe something like an Onza XL with an A2A of 36-38" or a Pantera XL with dual cams and A2A of 36-38 to fill the gap between the Scepter and the Pantera Mag. Might be something to look forward to next year or a mid year release this year.

bfisher
03-06-2012, 06:24 AM
Yep, I agree. Best shooting bows I've had in the last 20 years have been in that 38" range, and I'm not a tall guy at 5'8". I sure hope somebody from Martin (Joel) gets to read this stuff and give some feedback to those who make the decisions.

NuttyNative
03-06-2012, 06:51 AM
36" ata and Nitro Hybrid Pro cams would be a nice combination.

madman350
03-06-2012, 07:00 AM
the NC (no cost?lol) suffix makes sense but just dont look/ sound right. certainly leave the "pro" suffix for the pro series. the catalog calls it the onza 3 pro and it looks good in doing so while implying its top of the line, but not on the handle inscription? designate a onza 3pro and a onza 3 "gold" for their 2012 target specs/colors., the firecat name being deleted or abbreviated is already missed, thats maybe one of the coolest names for a bow out there (that and maybe ooops...assassin right there with it, onza III good one too). leave the cougarFC the firecat(FC for short) nitro/fury designations maybe as they were (400/ and 360xt ) and make the prowler , well a cougar...! maybe held back the prowler name a while longer. how about the regular exile and a exile "gold", then update them to prowler,prowler gold and....PROWLER JR! next year. the exile is unique name but most out of theme/dispensable name here. just hire me and i'll take care of it for us..

madman350
03-06-2012, 07:17 AM
i think prowler would been a nice name for a new youth/ smaller dimension (leopard replacement) bow, kinda seems to fit.

Ehunter
03-06-2012, 11:42 AM
I think Barry and Jim are right on the money with this one. Too many nearly identical bows, to many nearly identical names.

bfisher
03-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Madman brought up a good point. Maybe a decent quality youth bow, but his other ideas don't fly with me. The whole idea I would like to see is to reduce the amount of bows that have the same or similar specs.

For instance, we don't need and Exile and Exile Pro. They are the same bow and essentially the same as the Prowler and only 1" longer is the Bengal.

Other than some machining difference the Cougar and Sliencer are the same bow.

The crossfire could be moved to the Gold series and offered with either Nitro or Fury cams. It's too short to belong in the Pro series lineup anyway. This could then be sold in chain and sporting good stores to boost sales.

Pantera could be moved to the Pro series for the more discriminatng archers. The Onza III? That's in a world of it's own. a2a similar to the Pantera, but that bridged riser appeals to people.

Lets see what my lineup looks like:

PRO SERIES

Scepter V Pro XL @ 40"
Scepter V Pro @ 37"
Pantera Pro@ 34"
Onza III Pro @ 33.25"

Being Pro series they would all be offered with the cam of your choice. A better selection of powder coated target colors.

GOLD SERIES

Cougar Magnum w/ Nitro cam @ 32.25"
Bengal FC w/Fury cam @ 31"
Silencer FC w/Fury cam @ 32.25"
Crossfire FC w/Fury cam @ 29.5"

These could be offered in only camo patterns as they aren't long enough to be considered for target shooting.
And don't forget what a lot of people don't know. Martin has a custom shop where just about anything can be ordered.

Any comments?

wscywabbit
03-06-2012, 02:13 PM
I do like where you're going with this Barry! It does make sense to seperate the bows like you have listed. This year's lineup just doesn't make sense.

I would also like to see the Pantera offered with the Nitro cams.

Spiker
03-07-2012, 05:26 AM
My lineup would be very similar to Barry's.

PRO SERIES

SV NX 40" Nitrous X (A,B,C) with draw stops
SV Pro 40" Nitro
Pantera Pro XL 36" Nitro
Pantera Pro 34" Nitro
Onza Pro 33.25" Nitro
Firecat Pro 32.5" Nitro

GOLD SERIES

Pantera XL 36" FXT
Pantera 34" FXT
Cougar 32.5" FXT
Onza III 33.5" FXT