PDA

View Full Version : Got my Spring Gobbler tag....

parttimr
03-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Just 5 weeks and the new year seasons begin. Been lucky to draw 6 tags in 6 applications for spring and fall now to get the bow readt to go.

gravedigger
03-06-2012, 02:39 PM
you lucky duck.i had a plan to hunt turkey with elkslayer and elkslayer4x5 but i have no time at all:mad: heck i have not even got my deer and elk tag.im thinkn ther wont be anytime this year for me to hunt:(

get your birds and get them good,have fun and share the pics:)

parttimr
03-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Dang sorry to hear you may not get out. Definitely will post pics as I got the first bird with a bow last year. Can't really call all that well so we'll see what spring does. Much easier to get a fall bird around here. I'm sure when you get a chance those fellas would be more than willing to take ya. Try to atleast shoot as much as you can you never know.

For you guys in states having problems getting a tag each yr just thought I'd share we have 700 tags still available so need to apply for a second one now, lol.

droppixel
03-07-2012, 11:36 AM
I was a bonehead and didn't put in for the early lotteries. I wasn't thinking I was going to be able to hunt turkey this spring, but ended up getting in for the random dailies in IL - I'm not too hopeful that I'll get drawn for my county, I don't think many tags were left after the initial lotteries. :(

parttimr
03-07-2012, 12:51 PM
I grew up in Illinois/Cass county but never hunted turkeys until I moved here. First try at spring season so never know. They basically live in my backyard two coulees over so hopeful anyways. First time trying decoys with a bow should be fun.

Ehunter
03-07-2012, 03:04 PM
part, be careful, it's addictive. lol First bow hunted turkeys about 10 years ago, and now that's all I hunt them with. Something about having them come in to the call I guess, but it's like a major addiction for me now. Love my deer hunting, but turkey is my favorite.

parttimr
03-07-2012, 03:18 PM
@ehunter I got my first with a bow at 10 steps last fall and just as exciting as a deer that close if not more so. Biggest issue for me and spring is I can't call worth a darn and never used decoys so think I will get a plunger type box call and try it.

Ehunter
03-08-2012, 01:00 AM
part, The plunger style work well. My dad is a shotgun hunter for turkeys, and shot the biggest bird I have ever seen using only a plunger type call. 26# bird with 4 beards. Needless to say, I was envious. lol

elkslayer4x5
03-08-2012, 05:57 AM
you lucky duck.i had a plan to hunt turkey with elkslayer and elkslayer4x5 but i have no time at all:mad: heck i have not even got my deer and elk tag.im thinkn ther wont be anytime this year for me to hunt:(

get your birds and get them good,have fun and share the pics:)

Then I should go untie your gobbler? :D

gravedigger
03-08-2012, 06:26 AM
Then I should go untie your gobbler? :D

well only if you want to,you can leave him on the rope till next year then it will for sure big big and plump:p
so much going on with this house buying that all my time has been takin from me.really i dont think i will have time to have fun till late may or june.got to get the yard in order.darn houses anyhow:mad::p

Arrow Splitter
03-08-2012, 08:32 AM
I hope you get one parttimr.:cool:

Here in NH, we don't have a lottery for turkey. We just have to buy the tag($16 I think).:cool::D

A.S

parttimr
03-08-2012, 02:49 PM
@ A.S we have to apply for everything in the big game category up here but turkey tags are only $8.

droppixel
03-13-2012, 05:03 AM
Anyone happen to know when the random daily draws begin for Illinois? Got a feeling I'm going to get hosed this year, don't think any tags are available for season 1-3 in my county and I entered my prefs in that order without checking :mad:

Ehunter
03-14-2012, 12:47 AM
Seasons 1-3? That's gotta be rough. Here in Ks, we have an open season from April 11th until May 31st. Two bird limit on bearded birds. Shotgun or bow.

droppixel
03-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Yeah the full turkey season is broken down into 5 minis - set days are given for each span.

droppixel
03-14-2012, 09:04 AM
Oh hellz yeah guys! I just check the application site again, been doing so daily since my app was submitted. GOT DRAWN! My dad also got one for Season 5!

mdodraw29
03-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Turkey opens for us on April 30th. Can't wait to silence a big ol tom. In Mass the turkey tags are only 5 bucks, that allows you 2 bearded birds in the spring or 1 bearded in the spring and 1 either sex in fall(only one bird can be harvested in the fall season).

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-25-2012, 01:46 AM
Turkey opens for us on April 30th. Can't wait to silence a big ol tom. In Mass the turkey tags are only 5 bucks, that allows you 2 bearded birds in the spring or 1 bearded in the spring and 1 either sex in fall(only one bird can be harvested in the fall season).Hey mdodraw, where in mass do you live? We are in NH near the Capital.

Hutch:cool:

Matrix
03-26-2012, 03:38 PM
I picked up my turkey tag also!

droppixel
03-28-2012, 04:14 AM
Wouldn't mind slinging an arrow through this a-hole bird for this ol' lady ...

http://www.freep.com/article/20120305/NEWS03/203050334

Matrix
03-28-2012, 07:01 PM
Wouldn't mind slinging an arrow through this a-hole bird for this ol' lady ...

http://www.freep.com/article/20120305/NEWS03/203050334

Im with ya on that one....I'll take care of it for her, FOR FREE!!! lol

Spiker
03-28-2012, 07:42 PM
Yup - one Buzzcut and it would be dinner.

Actually I would just grab him by the neck and introduce him to my oven.

mdodraw29
04-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Hey mdodraw, where in mass do you live? We are in NH near the Capital.

Sorry about taking so long to answer I'm in Marlborough, it's about half way between Worcester and Boston.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-04-2012, 12:10 AM
So you are only 1 hour away. That's cool. I use to live in Springfield mass.

droppixel
04-05-2012, 08:54 AM
I've got the itch real bad right now. Rest for the Bengal arrived at the office today. Sounds like my arrows showed up at my house this morning. Fingers crossed there is another later delivery that will have the bow! Would be awesome to get it all set up and ready to shoot a little this weekend. Been one heck of a week filled with anticipation for it to arrive!

Double S
04-05-2012, 09:10 AM
I wish everyone and fun, safe and bountiful hunt!.

Speedykills
04-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Xforce is tuned,got my tag,taking afternoon off tomorrow,cant get any better than that.Good luck to all on opening day,hope eveybody fill there tag.We can only get one this year so i might have to pass on a few......anyway good luck guys......

droppixel
04-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Anyone put any birds down yet? Getting really antsy about getting out in a couple weeks. Old man is picking up a new Ameristep blind this week that is pretty big, looking forward to sitting it and letting an arrow fly. We are going to get some video also since we should have plenty of space to move around.

SJunior
04-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Took off work next Monday for the Iowa opener. Hopefully the limb for my Silencer will be here before then so I don't have to go at it with the borrowed Hoyt. Just doesn't feel right.

Lung Buster
04-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Took off work next Monday for the Iowa opener. Hopefully the limb for my Silencer will be here before then so I don't have to go at it with the borrowed Hoyt. Just doesn't feel right.

Good luck monday! My season doesnt open up here til the 21st but we have a bunch of birds working behind our house i cant wait to get out!