PDA

View Full Version : Riser Question

kcShadowWalker
11-22-2007, 10:44 AM
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the new three piece riser compared to the older solid risers. I'm am considering a new Firecat pro-x. But I am concerned about the risers.

flytier17
11-22-2007, 01:16 PM
For one, it is lighter. The Firecat Pro-X weighs in at 3.6 lbs. Also, three-piece risers allow the most reflexed riser designs while still retaining strength due to the downwards pressure on a parallel limb design.

The only disadvantage I can think of would be the more succeptibility to riser flexing. However, this is a problem more prone to poor designs and machining. However, since when would Martin have poor design, or machining?

bfisher
11-22-2007, 08:56 PM
I answered tis one on AT, but will try again.

Machining 3 smaller pieces of aluminum means a savings in raw material and aluminum waste. This means more profit for the company and some of this savings is also passed on to the consumer by keeping the price down.

Structurally there are no pitfalls. You be assured that it's been R&D'd to the hilt. The sport of archery is very competitive and companies don't take unnecessary chances with the customer base.

I don't have scientific data to back this up, but my theory is that because of the parallel limb designs the forces are more vertical on the riser than lateral, so there is less stress on the riser, so less flexing. This would be one reason why this type of modular riser works well.

As a Martin shooter I can have my choice of bows. For 2007 I got a Pantera. 2008 will see me shooting a FireCat. I ain't scared. I have all the faith in the world in Martin's R&D and workmanship.

flytier17
11-23-2007, 04:34 AM
I ain't scared. I have all the faith in the world in Martin's R&D and workmanship.

Me too, I wholeheartedly agree with you. Martin is the best, hands down. ;)

Elk4me
11-23-2007, 07:03 AM
We'll I have to admit I was a littile scepticial like you at 1st aboutthe 3 pc riser. But I have owned a 07 Pantera, currently own a 07 Cheetha and have a 08 MOAB on order. I am 100 % satisfied with the riser and have the utmost confidance in the new Martin risers. You wont have a singile problem! I haven't herd of one riser broken yet. I am on here and on AT everyday for hr's at a time!:cool:

kcShadowWalker
11-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Thanks for all the help. I had shot Martin Bows for over twenty years when in 2000 I had to give up Archery. This was due to back and shoulder injuries suffered in a head on wreck with a tractor trailer. I had just started to be able to shoot again this last year thanks to the new bow designs with less shock. When I saw the Firecat Pro-x, I was hesitant about the riser design but I knew I could find help on the forum. Again, Thanks for the help. It looks like Martin will be back with me in the Deer woods in 08.

kcShadowWalker
11-23-2007, 09:37 AM
Thanks for all the help. I had shot Martin Bows for over twenty years when in 2000 I had to give up Archery. This was due to back and shoulder injuries suffered in a head on wreck with a tractor trailer. I had just started to be able to shoot again this last year thanks to the new bow designs with less shock. When I saw the Firecat Pro-x, I was hesitant about the riser design but I knew I could find help on the forum. Again, Thanks for the help. It looks like Martin will be back with me in the Deer woods in 08.

Elk4me
11-24-2007, 08:47 AM
We'll if you have a back and shoulder Injury you deffinately dont want the Firecat with the agressive Dual cams...... you want the M-Pro MOAB.:cool: