PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Exile First review

aldenjj
03-09-2012, 04:47 AM
A few weeks back I posted a few threads, inquiring some specifics. I was helped out by numerous members. At that time I told everyone that I would enter a post on my new Exile, once I got it back from the bow shop and all set up..well the time has arrived.
I took it out yesterday and shot it. First impressions, small, light weight, easy to shoot, well balanced, fast(chronographed at 285 fps). I like it alot! it is a later edition 2011 Exile, wihout the TRD-SOS. I think that is probabily a good thing. It really isn't super loud. I added some whisker style string silencers. That made quite a difference. It is a pleasure to shoot and very accurate!!
I have been bow hunting for 26 years, so I have had the opportunity to shoot many different bows, Hoyt,PSE,Ross,York,Browning....and even had a chance to shoot a friends Matthews.
I can honestly say that they all are quality bows......but the biggest Bang For The Buck looks like it might be Martin. This is my set up:
2011 Martin exile 60#
Apex Atomic sight
Whisker Biscuit rest
Limbsaver 3 1/2" stabilizer
Martin Tru-Peep
Martin Wildman 4 arrow quiver
Victory V-Force 45/60 arrows (6)
d-loop
All of this for $349.00

I don't know if you can match that with another brand!

all of the after market accessories came from a local Martin Dealer. His prices are very good, and his labor rate is down right cheap!

I think if this bow performs the way I think it is going to, I will be a Martin owner for LIFE!!!

When I get a chance I will post some pics. on the appropraite forum page.

wscywabbit
03-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Nice review, and thanks, but it's missing one things.... PICS ;)

I'm glad that you're enjoying your bow congrats!

droppixel
03-09-2012, 07:54 AM
285 is impressive for 60# with that bow! Glad you like!

aldenjj
03-09-2012, 08:15 AM
I will post some pics of the bow within the next few days. I was also pleasantly surprised by the speed, but I had it set up by a Certified Martin dealer....maybe that had something to do with it. I know he sized the arrows, sight and rest to be the lighest, and still quality to get me the best speed. that is what I asked him. my draw lenght is 29.5" that helped too.

wscywabbit
03-09-2012, 09:08 AM
you lucky ducks and your long draw lengths lol :)

aldenjj
03-09-2012, 09:31 AM
One of the things that I have noticed from looking at the pics. on this sites picture forum, is that a lot of guys have new style string silencers, and dampeners. According to the Martin dealer, I have been dealing with, these things all slow the bow down. I am a believer in less is more. The only things touching my strings are the cable guide (Old standard type):cool:, a d-loop, no nock, and 2 small whisker style silencers . this adds little weight, or drag to the string, which helps with the speed.

mornicdad
03-09-2012, 09:59 AM
I have just purchased and set up the same bow. I bought it because I got it for a great price also. I have a 2011 Silencer but I wanted something smaller and lighter. This it exactly that! I have a 26" draw length. And I went with the trophy ridge revolution rest. I just got home from shooting it today. I added bow jacks on the limbs and a add on string stop. That helped with noise and vibration. It shoots really nice. I also have nothing on the string. but if I would put something on the string. It would be small. Thanks for your review. I wish I had your longer draw length to get the extra speed.

dzsmith
03-09-2012, 05:42 PM
We're you getting 285 at 60lbs of draw

Speedykills
03-09-2012, 07:46 PM
We're you getting 285 at 60lbs of draw

Umm my alien x did a 288fps with a 29dlx60#with a 372grn arrow..it has a ibo of 340fps.........!

aldenjj
03-10-2012, 03:31 AM
2 Different Martin dealers explained to me that a 320fps bow at 70lbs, would have similar speeds at 60# with the right dL, light enough arrow and minimum drag on the string. That is how I had it set up, so I was able to get 285fps. I must point out though, that all of my bow hunting is 30 yds. or less, so the lighter arrows don't really detract anything.
there is a website called www.stickemarchery.com it has all of the calculators for arrow weight,speed, kinectic energy. you can play with the numbers changing draw weight, draw lenght, speed, arrow weight, etc. in doing so you can see what needs to be done to get the most out of your bow. that is how I figured out how to have mine set up to get the best speed, for my type of hunting.

dzsmith
03-10-2012, 06:24 PM
That makes me sad . I have an exile, I've never chronod it. But hearing this makes me sad. My bow is maxed out, and your telling me I can only pull out around the 280s. That's 40 fps below ibo. Pretty bad. Yes it will kill a deer but dang

droppixel
03-11-2012, 05:40 AM
That makes me sad . I have an exile, I've never chronod it. But hearing this makes me sad. My bow is maxed out, and your telling me I can only pull out around the 280s. That's 40 fps below ibo. Pretty bad. Yes it will kill a deer but dang

Don't get too hung up on this. It is common when you look at how IBO is set up and then you start factoring in real world set-up. If you can get 280 that is still nothing to shake a stick at. I haven't chronoed my Cheetah but if I had to guess, I would say I'm not near 280, but it feels plenty fast.

aldenjj
03-11-2012, 05:55 AM
The thing that everyone needs to remember is, the listed bow speeds from the manufacturer are best case senario with the longest DL, lightest arrow and broadhead. They aren't real world numbers. I think that anything above 250 is actually a good speed. I have watched numerous youtube videos on broadhead performance. Most of the bows (Hoyt, PSE and even Matthews) used in the testing are coming in around 250. Obviously DL is the biggest factor. I am fortunate enough to have a decent DL, but to anyone with a shorter, I would not be sad. Somthings you just can't change........... I would just..... shoot...kill....and be happy!!

wscywabbit
03-11-2012, 07:14 AM

285 is right in the ball park for a 320 IBO bow @ 60 lbs instead of 70, 29.5" draw and about a 350 grain arrow (assuming minimal weight on the string).

Even if he moved up to 70 lbs, he's looking at a gain of 20 fps. Add another 6 fps if he was to move up to 30" draw and that puts him 311 fps. The IBO range is 315-320... Tweeking his let off might get him a few fps faster, but even with out that, take off the d-loop and peep, moves him up to 316-ish...

He's right about where he ought to be IMO.

aldenjj
03-11-2012, 07:49 AM
You are most certainly right wabbit!!! I did all of the calculations before buying the bow. I was hoping to come in around 270+ so it worked out very well. I have to give Martin credit for being accurate with their bow speeds!!!

Speedykills
03-11-2012, 08:12 AM
You are most certainly right wabbit!!! I did all of the calculations before buying the bow. I was hoping to come in around 270+ so it worked out very well. I have to give Martin credit for being accurate with their bow speeds!!!

Im curious of what the weight of your arrow was!I have to keep reminding myself that my arrow weight was 372grns when it chrono at 288fps.

aldenjj
03-11-2012, 08:30 AM
If I added it all together right, I figured mine was 375. Which lines up pretty good with the numbers you had.