PDA

View Full Version : Fletching arrows - headache

droppixel
03-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Having one heck of a headache over this last batch of arrows I fletched. Got a pack of Norway Predator vanes from on of the big string guys on AT and they have been flying off my arrows left and right. I don't know what is going on, never had this happen with the other arrows I did with a different batch of vanes while shooting my Cheetah. All of my prep was exactly the same yet I have been losing vanes like crazy. I can hear them fly off when I shoot, makes a pretty neat sound tbh, but royal pita.

I have already re-done a few of them and I'm almost to the point where I am about to say "f-it" with these vanes and pull every one of them off and switch to Blazers. I don't know if it is the vanes, the arrow shafts or the speed of the bow (Alien) that is the cause of the vanes from flying off.

Speedykills
03-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Cure your headace and go to blazers,ive fletch my own for years with no problems.They have no problems staying on at speeds of 288-300fps+.......:D

welder75
03-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Speedykills Let us know some more info.. what glue are you using? This is my first year for blazers and I'm having the same problems, used 3 and 4 inch feathers for years and used tape and never had a problem before.

TEN RING
03-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Go with aae vanes you won't have any headaches

Speedykills
03-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Speedykills Let us know some more info.. what glue are you using? This is my first year for blazers and I'm having the same problems, used 3 and 4 inch feathers for years and used tape and never had a problem before.

Ok here it goes,i take old vanes off with a knife,razor knife, make sure i scrape off all old glu and vane's off until shafts are nice and smooth.Then i will get a sos pad and use the green side to scrub the shafts under warm water were new vanes will go.I spend about 15 seconds using sos pad per shaft.
Then after i scrub each shaft i rince them off,then i will let them air dry.Once there dry i will use acetone and wipe area were vanes will go, i use a rag to do this,leaves a little black residue on rag.
Now im ready to fletch i use fletch tite plantinum glue,with the vane in my clamp i start just a few CM in and start applying my glue and i stop same distance at other end of vane.This allows glue to spread to end of vanes as you apply it to arrow but doesnt run out past the vanes.as i apply my clamp i will hold clamp in place and put slight pressure for 30 seconds then pull my hand off and let vane sit in clamp applied to jig for about 3-5 min a vane then keep going.
thats it..................

Ehunter
03-21-2012, 12:58 AM
Might have better luck with a superglue, rather than the Platinum Fletch tite. I use the Predator vanes, and haven't had a single one come off using a superglue. They stick as solidly as factory fletched Blazers or anything else I have ever had. For prep, all I do is remove the old glue, lightly hit the end of the shaft with a scufferpad, wipe with a dry towel, and then glue them on.

Lung Buster
03-21-2012, 02:47 AM
Might have better luck with a superglue, rather than the Platinum Fletch tite. I use the Predator vanes, and haven't had a single one come off using a superglue. They stick as solidly as factory fletched Blazers or anything else I have ever had. For prep, all I do is remove the old glue, lightly hit the end of the shaft with a scufferpad, wipe with a dry towel, and then glue them on.

X2 on the crazy glue! I use the predator vanes on my pile drivers and when i was in a jam i threw some on and they have been hanging on since! But i definitely think getting the shafts prepped right is the key. Good luck!

TEN RING
03-21-2012, 05:55 AM
X2 on the crazy glue! I use the predator vanes on my pile drivers and when i was in a jam i threw some on and they have been hanging on since! But i definitely think getting the shafts prepped right is the key. Good luck!

use super glue gel

SJunior
03-21-2012, 06:03 AM
Bohning Quantum works excellent.

droppixel
03-21-2012, 06:31 AM
I use Gorilla Glue Impact Formula glue. Never had a problem with the other batch I put on my Velocity arrows shooting from the Cheetah. Went through the exact same process in prepping the arrows with acetone to start, clean wipe down, scuff up with a scuffpad/fine steel wool, clean again and then set with glue in my Arizona-Ez fletch. I don't know if the vanes just don't have a good cup on the bottom like my others did. I have noticed it is all of the new ones that are coming off, the ones I had left over from the old batch are holding on just fine.

wscywabbit
03-21-2012, 06:36 AM
Another vote for super glue, I use Loctite super control gel, it dries a little slower than regular super glue so you can get your jig set and it's "impact resistant". Works great for me!

dzsmith
03-23-2012, 09:02 PM
i would use some very fine grit emory cloth (sand paper) rather than an sos pad. I would put a little more time into it and ensure all surfaces are smooth. Ive used thinner and rubbing alchohol to clean the surface prior to glueing and they both work great. i would give it a little more dry time to, maybe 10 minutes a piece. nothing wrong with the the platinum adhesive you are using. its the best out there. also how long are you waiting prior to shooting your arrows.

dzsmith
03-23-2012, 09:07 PM
i know people that use super glue, i have as well before. all i can gurantee about it is that it is more runny. it is an instant bond rather than a timed bond. the last blazers that i superglued came off, but it was because the fletchings were making contact with my limbdriver rest. the fletch tite platinum though is great, its not instant but it still dries quick. i just fletched my first feather last week from tru flight, and they havent come off yet. i even was a little sloppy with a few of them and it turned out great. good luck to you though

Lung Buster
03-24-2012, 05:31 AM
Any of you guys ever use the shrink type fletching and wrap? Just wondering if it was junk or actually worked?

droppixel
03-24-2012, 05:35 AM
Any of you guys ever use the shrink type fletching and wrap? Just wondering if it was junk or actually worked?

I've thought about it, but they are pricey. I know some people that use them that have no problems.

i would use some very fine grit emory cloth (sand paper) rather than an sos pad. I would put a little more time into it and ensure all surfaces are smooth. Ive used thinner and rubbing alchohol to clean the surface prior to glueing and they both work great. i would give it a little more dry time to, maybe 10 minutes a piece. nothing wrong with the the platinum adhesive you are using. its the best out there. also how long are you waiting prior to shooting your arrows.

I clean mine shaft and vane with alcohol and let that dry. I use a super glue but let them sit in the jib for about minute or so and then I let them sit for at least 24 hours prior to shooting. I don't know if my glue is thinning out a little, towards the end of the bottle or what, but I was not expecting to see vanes fly off like this. Could be my process, could be contact with the rest. Using a limbdriver so I would think I'm getting the clearance I need.

Arrow Splitter
03-24-2012, 06:51 AM
Blazers rule! I use Blazers and Super glue without a problem (besides operator error).:D

Having one heck of a headache over this last batch of arrows I fletched. Got a pack of Norway Predator vanes from on of the big string guys on AT and they have been flying off my arrows left and right. I don't know what is going on, never had this happen with the other arrows I did with a different batch of vanes while shooting my Cheetah. All of my prep was exactly the same yet I have been losing vanes like crazy. I can hear them fly off when I shoot, makes a pretty neat sound tbh, but royal pita.

I have already re-done a few of them and I'm almost to the point where I am about to say "f-it" with these vanes and pull every one of them off and switch to Blazers. I don't know if it is the vanes, the arrow shafts or the speed of the bow (Alien) that is the cause of the vanes from flying off.
Show off.:rolleyes: :D

Cure your headace and go to blazers,ive fletch my own for years with no problems.They have no problems staying on at speeds of 288-300fps+.......:D