PDA

View Full Version : Draw module screws?

RPIBuckHunter
03-21-2012, 07:50 AM
So when trying to change the draw length on my bow, I accidentally stripped the head of one of the allen screws on the module.

1) Where can I buy a replacement screw? I went to two hardware stores today and they didn't have anything like that.

2) Any suggestions for getting the stripped screw out?

justin
03-21-2012, 08:36 AM
Well it depends on how tite they are. Normally its the heads that wont move, not the threads. So you can drill the head then unscrew the threaded part. If you want to try something else first, you can try a hardened allen drive bit. I gave up on my mod screws, but i didnt need to move them so they never ended up getting drilled.

jdduffy
03-21-2012, 09:11 AM
I switch mine out with stainless phillips heads from home depot.way easier to work with,and they go in or out way easier than playing with a tiny allen wrench.

elkslayer4x5
03-22-2012, 05:52 AM
If the allen head is stripped, the screw is going to have to be drilled out. Not as tough as it sounds tho, just take your time, use the correct size drill, and again, work slowly!

droppixel
03-22-2012, 06:25 AM
From AT, few options you could look into if you are comfortable. They also make screw extractors, would need to check your hardware store for that.

It is easy. I have done it a bunch. You can buy some left handed drill bits. Use a bit as big as the threaded shaft of the screw. Start drilling through the center of the head in reverse since it is a lefty bit. Usually the drill bit will turn the screw on out. If not, once you drill down through the head, the head will pop off and you can easily remove the threaded shaft by hand. You can also use a regular bit to drill off the head. Works like a charm. Use a sharp bit and drill slow.

An easy way is to carefully drive a star bit (torx bit) of the correct size into the stripped out hole and try to unscrew it with that but be sure to support the cam at the back side of the screw when driving the star bit into the hole. Also, the Dremel used with a metal cutting blade to cut a slot into the stripped out screw head then use a flat blade screw driver to remove works well. Drill it out as a last resort. If you have the cam off the bow, using a soldering iron to add heat to the area around the screw can assist with removal.

RPIBuckHunter
03-22-2012, 08:12 AM
From AT, few options you could look into if you are comfortable. They also make screw extractors, would need to check your hardware store for that.

Yup, I got a screw extractor today. Friend is bringing a drill over later and we are going to very carefully attempt this.

ElkSlayer
03-22-2012, 11:27 AM
I would sujest you try this method 1st befor any drilling ...An easy way is to carefully drive a star bit (torx bit) of the correct size into the stripped out hole and try to unscrew it with that but be sure to support the cam at the back side of the screw when driving the star bit into the hole.

RPIBuckHunter
03-22-2012, 01:09 PM
I would sujest you try this method 1st befor any drilling ...An easy way is to carefully drive a star bit (torx bit) of the correct size into the stripped out hole and try to unscrew it with that but be sure to support the cam at the back side of the screw when driving the star bit into the hole.

Did attempt that already...the head was too far rounded out for one bit to do anything, and the next bit was too big to fit.

ElkSlayer
03-23-2012, 11:47 AM
well then, thats a delima alright. i hope you plan on doing this on a un strong cam if it were me, would remove cam from bow aswell...drilling is dang hard and should not be taken lightly. one slip and its over for your cam.... drill slowly and squarly to the cam spot on center of screw..best of luck to you and your pal...

Speedykills
03-23-2012, 12:30 PM
I had this problem once and i used a small dremal tool and used a small disc and made a notch across the head and used a screw driver to get screw out worked like a charm,,,,,good luck....

Ehunter
03-23-2012, 02:48 PM
If the head isn't completely rounded out, you might try taking some JB Weld, filling the hole in flush, then inserting a Torx (star) bit, or allen wrench in it, and let it sit overnight. Might harden enough that you can then turn the screw out. I've used this method before on several things, and it's worked well. Just file/sand/scrape the bit clean when you are done.

RPIBuckHunter
03-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Thank you everyone for the help...we got it out with a drill and easy out. We were very careful, drilled just far enough to get the easy out in and came out like a charm.

cmwr
03-26-2012, 04:17 PM
I put a small touch of BLUE loctite on mine so my question would be what if mine stripped out? I haven't had any issues in the past but always wondered. My martin has a decent size allen screw but my wifes razoredge has little 1/16 screws. But I was also leary of them vibrating loose so I didn't hesitate to use BLUE loctite. In the mechanics world (my field) a little heat does wonders. but obviously I would NEVER apply heat to a bow cam.

Arrow Splitter
03-26-2012, 04:25 PM
I put a small touch of BLUE loctite on mine so my question would be what if mine stripped out? I haven't had any issues in the past but always wondered. My martin has a decent size allen screw but my wifes razoredge has little 1/16 screws. But I was also leary of them vibrating loose so I didn't hesitate to use BLUE loctite. In the mechanics world (my field) a little heat does wonders. but obviously I would NEVER apply heat to a bow cam.It depends on how much heat you are talking about. Using a little heat to remove a screw shouldn't be a problem.

A.S

cmwr
03-26-2012, 04:42 PM
It depends on how much heat you are talking about. Using a little heat to remove a screw shouldn't be a problem.

A.S

I did wonder about a heat gun. That may be the safe way to do it without a flame. Of course the strings and cables should be removed lol. As long as I never strip one out I shouldn't have to worry anyways. Just something I always wondered.

Arrow Splitter
03-26-2012, 04:50 PM
I did wonder about a heat gun. That may be the safe way to do it without a flame. Of course the strings and cables should be removed lol. As long as I never strip one out I shouldn't have to worry anyways. Just something I always wondered.As long as the cam isn't turning colors it won't be harmed. The only problem would be if you are near or hit aluminum's melting point (1220 degrees).:eek: That would be a lot of heat.:cool:

A.S

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Try a soldering gun

Hutch:cool:

cmwr
03-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Try a soldering gun

Hutch:cool:

Good idea. Reminds me of how we used to touch drill rod to a bolt head and heat the drill rod red hot and let the heat transfer into the bolt. Worked well.