PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Martin Warthog Mag Arrows to Use?

WarthogMag
03-27-2012, 10:22 AM
I love the classics. I recently purchased a 40-60lbs 29" draw all wood Martin Warthog Magnum in great shape with the sole purpose of Elk hunting. I've been out of the bow hunting game for a while and would love 'top to bottom' arrow suggestions for this kind of setup and use. Material, Grain, Target tips, Hunting tips etc... Pretend I have no clue. Which I don't. :o Keep in mind the arrow rest is old school not the drop away kind. I'm flexible to adding new equipment BTW. Thanks!

Thanks for the response. I have it at 55lb draw. Yes, drop away won't work and that's fine. And I'll be using a trigger release.

bfisher
03-27-2012, 10:36 AM
OK, we know the draw length, but at what weight do you intend to shoot it? You do understand that a drop away probably won't work because the riser isn't cut past center Oh yeah, release or fingers?

Merrill
03-27-2012, 03:34 PM
OK. I'll start this one off. I'm thinking vintage bow. Why not vintage style arrows. Aluminium with feathers.

bfisher
03-27-2012, 05:29 PM
OK. I'll start this one off. I'm thinking vintage bow. Why not vintage style arrows. Aluminium with feathers.

Oh my goodness!!!!! Hey guys. Look who's posting. About time you chime in Butch. And with a good suggestion no less. I taught you well. Good thing too, cause I forgot to mention what arrows. Now tell him which ones and spine.

Merrill
03-28-2012, 05:47 PM
Well Barry, Thanx for the vote of confidence. I'm not sure what arrow might work best for you. but I would start with a 400 spine arrow with a 100 grain tip. (and barry will correct me if I'm wrong:D) But may the Easton arrow will be of some help to you. http://www.martinarchery.com/easton/targeast.html

bfisher
03-29-2012, 04:37 PM
OK, let's look at this from an old schol perspective. The bow has an all wood riser which is not cut past center nor is there an arrow pass cutout. Therefore the arrow has to exrend beyond the riser for broadhead clearance. That means likely a 30" or 31" arrow. Lets call it 31" to be on the safe side.

So if using Easton's chart from their website (www.eastonarchery.com/downloads) and choosing aluminum XX75 shafts, 100 grain broadhead, soft cam bow, I'd choose the 2314 (340 spine). Plenty stiff, plenty heavy, and a proven Game-getter.

If using a carbon then the Powerflight will be OK, but get a 340 spine.

In general I'd also recommend 4" feather fletching to help clear the riser, but if hunting in the rain is a possibility then vanes will work although I'd go with a low profile type like the Duravane LP-400, again to help clear the riser. 3 Blade 100 gr broadhead or somethin like the Slick Tricks would be my choice.

And by the way, Butch was right about the 400 spine----if the arrow were going to be 29", but I doubt that's going to be the end result with this older bow.