PDA

View Full Version : New Bow confusion!

bownut
03-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Hello,
First timer to the forum here, have been a martin man since the early 80's and am a martin man for life. I am currently in the market for a new bow and am very impressed with the onza 3 and the cougar pro, I am just wondering what makes the onza a gold series instead of a pro series bow. Is there something i am overlooking that makes this not as high quality as a "pro" bow. As far as i can see it is made up of all the same components, and is more of an advanced bow than some of the pro series bow, is it just the way martin selects what bow goes where, or is there really something to it. im currently shooting a single cam rage that is past its prime. Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

gravedigger
03-27-2012, 12:47 PM
welcome to the forum
i dont know how martin makes its choice on gold or pro so i really dont look into it to much.if a guy nocks of the pro or gold lable they are all fine bows.i know some dealers are a pro series dealer of gold series dealer so that might be the diff,but really i have no clue..lolthe bows you are looking at are indeed top notch shooters

bfisher
03-27-2012, 01:39 PM
bownut,

Welcome to the forums. Glad to see you're such a Martin fan. As to your question? I think I know what you are inferring. I would think that the Onza would be the Pro Series and the Cougar the Gold Series. They both share the same components such as limbs, cam, strings, etc. The only difference is in the machining of the riser. Same camo dip and all. The quality will be equal.

I've only been shooting Martins since 2004 and the Cougar has always been the top Gold Series bow. Why did Martin switch it? Only guess I can come up with is "flip-o-the-coin". I've even stated on here that the names of their bows can be confusing to the public. For instance, there is an Exile Pro in the Gold Series line. It's just my opinion that the word "Pro" in a bow's monicker should be used only for those bows in the Pro Series, but I guess Martin thinks otherwise.

Don't let this deter you from either bow. The only real advantage to the Onza is that because of it's bridged riser there won't be as won't flex as much as a standard riser like the Cougar. This is something I've read about, but just how much a riser bends under stress is of little concern to ordinary shooters. It does make for a neat looking bow though. Case in point would be the Rytera Nemisis. I have one and this bow is a real piece of art work as are all the Rytera bows.

bownut
03-28-2012, 03:02 AM
Thanks for replying, i am leaning more toward the onza, because it seems to be more suited for my personal needs, but just didnt want to buy a "gold" series if it wasnt as high quality as a so called "pro series bow", I love this forum, read it alot, just finally got around to getting involved on it

Lung Buster
03-28-2012, 03:59 AM
Welcome to the forum! This an awesome group of people and everyone is very knowledgable and veryvhelpful they always try and go out of there way to help with whatever issues may come up! Good luck with whatever bow you choose!

joelc
03-28-2012, 08:37 AM
All Martin Dealers are Gold Series dealers (including larger stores like Cabela's, Bass Pro, Etc.) but in most occasions only the small shops have access to the Pro Series. Each line is made up of bows representing the entire line-up but the Pro Series may have features that would require additional cost with the Gold Series offerings. Names of the bows are simply marketing. I'm not at all a fan of adding the "Pro" moniker on Gold Series models as it just adds to the confusion. Personally I think they do it just to aggravate me. :rolleyes:

gravedigger
03-28-2012, 08:50 AM
. Personally I think they do it just to aggravate me. :rolleyes:
lol.i wont doubt that for one min.wish you had a lot more say so on the marketing since you are the one who deal with the reg people.no doubt you are one of the main assets for martin archery.

bownut
03-28-2012, 10:45 AM
So then some of you are saying that the pro series bows have higher quality or more expensive features than the gold, thats what im trying to figure out, I don't want to spend the money on a gold series onza 3, only to find out it is not made to the same standards as a "pro series" bow such as the sceptor,bengal pro or cougar pro. Just very confusing, my last bow was a pro series bow and had absolutely no problems.

gravedigger
03-28-2012, 11:13 AM
So then some of you are saying that the pro series bows have higher quality or more expensive features than the gold, thats what im trying to figure out, I don't want to spend the money on a gold series onza 3, only to find out it is not made to the same standards as a "pro series" bow such as the sceptor,bengal pro or cougar pro. Just very confusing, my last bow was a pro series bow and had absolutely no problems.

i dont know what extra features are offerd at a price for a pro series bow but they are all made with the same care.one is not "built" better then the other.nitro cam on a gold or pro is still a nitro cam,fury xt on a pro or gold is still the furry xt,same limbs,same 3pc riser,same string....ect.in years past the bengal was a gold series bow now it is a pro.when i see gold or pro i see a name and nothing more.sorry i cant help more.

Phantonza
03-29-2012, 03:01 AM

This Gold/Pro series stuff is clearly a pure sales/marketing policy issue. I wouldn't worry about that. I wanted to buy the best Martin had to offer and I liked the Onza 3, so I bought it. You can buy some Pro series bows much cheaper than the Onza. This shows clearly that it is not the case that Gold series would be of lower quality.

Although I like the Onza 3 very much based on my short ownership so far (I'm trying to sell my few months old Hoyt now :) ), I cannot promise a trouble-free purchase. I had to improve mine a little by filing the draw module sharp inner wall edges round to stop it eating the cables. Check this: http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?23327-Nitro-cam-updated-for-2012&p=85916#post85916 If they would have made it round in the first place, it would not require so tight tolerances in manufacturing. The outer wall edge is readily round.

bownut
03-29-2012, 04:31 AM
thanks for the info and the link, seems to be a few people out there experiencing string wear

gravedigger
03-29-2012, 06:21 AM
thanks for the info and the link, seems to be a few people out there experiencing string wear

in 2011 with the TRG cables where getting tore up but martin killed off the TRG and went back with the standard rod and slide.for the 2012 modles people are getting ware on the serveing....some from improper draw stop placement and some from a sharp edge on either the cam groove or the mod.of course a file and some fine grit sand paper can remove this issue but a good inspection of the bow should be done proir too shooting.
i do think the shap edge prob should not be there but in some bows it is and martin is taking care of it as far as i know(or as far as what i have read).but most all new bows will have a issue or 2 the diff with us martin shooter is we talk about it and find a solution most other bow folks just get it fixed and never speak of it.

deerchser
03-29-2012, 07:18 AM

Welcome to the forum Bownut....

I have shot both bows. I have a 2012 Cougar FC and my bro-in-law has the 2011 Onza 3. I can tell you that there is no difference in quality between the 2. Dont get too hung up on the "Pro/Gold" series conversatiion. I dont know why they seperate the and dont really care. I perfer to ignore the Pro/Gold labels, a Martin bow is a Martin bow. That is all I need to know. Shoot both and decide which is best for you. You can be rest assured that they are both top quality bow's and both shoot very well. The Onza is the faster of the 2 but is a little "harsher" on the draw even though it is very smooth. Both have a good amout of adjustment in the cams. Both have top quality fit and finish. Both are very easy to maintain and there is no need for a bow press to do anything. Both come with the outstanding customer service that Martin is known for. Good luck and let us know what you settle on.

droppixel
03-29-2012, 08:16 AM

I wouldn't put any money into thinking there are different standards for the gold vs. pro. The Onza is a top of the line bow that would easily fall under either category. This all goes back to marketing. Having a top of the line bow, that cost more than most in the Pro line, is a marketing thing in order to get those in the hands of more people by offering the Gold line to the big box stores. That is how I see it. I also think no matter which bow you happen to select, pro or gold - they are all going to perform great and will have been built with the same standards in mind, it just comes down to what fits you the best and what you like.

Tosi
03-29-2012, 11:49 AM
I also had the same confession when I purchased my 2012 Pantera that it may be less of a quality bow. I can tell you that my Pantera is as good as my two Pro series bow the Fire Cat 400 and FC Cougar. I shot the Pantera next to the Onza and real liked the Pantera better for hunting and 3D shooting. I really like the feel of the 34 A2A. Good luck..

wscywabbit
03-29-2012, 01:23 PM
I know this has been covered in other threads either here or on AT, but the Pro/Gold series is all marketing, there is no quality difference between the two. They both have less expensive/ more expensive models, that either equates to more or less standard equipment. For instance the Exile doesn't come with a STS.

The main difference between the Pro and Gold lineups is who can sell them... Anyone can sell the Gold series. Big box, mom and pop, single entrepreneur running an Ebay store, doesn't matter. But they can only sell the Gold line, and probably don't have to jump through many hoops to do so.

In order to have a larger inventory selection a seller has to become a Pro series dealer, which probably comes with more hoops to jump through and probably entails some sort of contract. I'm sure a Pro dealer also has more benefits, maybe lower purchase price or something along with media support.

I may not be entirely accurate in this, but I'm willing to bet I'm pretty close. Bottom line though, is that a Martin bow is a Martin bow, Pro and Gold just tells you who you can order one from. ;)

Lung Buster
03-29-2012, 01:44 PM
in 2011 with the TRG cables where getting tore up but martin killed off the TRG and went back with the standard rod and slide.for the 2012 modles people are getting ware on the serveing....some from improper draw stop placement and some from a sharp edge on either the cam groove or the mod.of course a file and some fine grit sand paper can remove this issue but a good inspection of the bow should be done proir too shooting.
i do think the shap edge prob should not be there but in some bows it is and martin is taking care of it as far as i know(or as far as what i have read).but most all new bows will have a issue or 2 the diff with us martin shooter is we talk about it and find a solution most other bow folks just get it fixed and never speak of it.

I know martin had alot of trouble with the TRG but what ever happened to the ccs? Did they have problems with them also? I know they came on the pro series bows in 2010 and the gold series with the exception of the pantera came with the rod and slide unless you upgraded.

gravedigger
03-30-2012, 05:19 AM
I know martin had alot of trouble with the TRG but what ever happened to the ccs? Did they have problems with them also? I know they came on the pro series bows in 2010 and the gold series with the exception of the pantera came with the rod and slide unless you upgraded.

beats me but i really dig that ccs.my 10 bengal didnt come with a ccs,unless a guy orders a MAG bengal i think but im not sure on that.i bought the CCS for it but maybe it was cost and knowing what they had instore for the next 2-3years so they cut some costs................but really i dont know but i wish they had the slot on the 11's and 12's so a guy could at least add a ccs if ya wanted to.

Lung Buster
03-30-2012, 05:27 AM
beats me but i really dig that ccs.my 10 bengal didnt come with a ccs,unless a guy orders a MAG bengal i think but im not sure on that.i bought the CCS for it but maybe it was cost and knowing what they had instore for the next 2-3years so they cut some costs................but really i dont know but i wish they had the slot on the 11's and 12's so a guy could at least add a ccs if ya wanted to.

So you have had good luck with the ccs! I was thinking about getting one for my bone hunter since it does have the slot for it i just was not sure what happened to them or if i was really gaining anything with putting it on?