PDA

View Full Version : Howatt Hunter Questions

targethunter
03-27-2012, 07:49 PM
This is a much abridged post with 2 quick questions. Been trying to post in the Trad Bow Forum but it doesn't seem to be going through.

I have an older Howatt Hunter, 53# @ 28", number HHX3388-62", and I want to use it to shoot targets. It was given to me by my father-in-law, and I need a new bowstring and arrows for it without breaking the bank. I am an experienced archer though I would consider myself mediocre at best, and most of my experience has been with compounds. I would like to know what bowstring to buy, and what arrows to use (not wood since I had a bad experience with them once) for plinking targets and maybe an occasional squirrel if they won't stay out of my garden. I don't want to go too cheap, but not top-of-the-line. Was thinking of going with a little longer bowstring to reduce the pull for targets, but I don't know if that works or not.

Thanks in advance for any advise you can give :)

elkslayer4x5
03-28-2012, 05:31 AM
You'll need a 58" 14 strand string. Using a longer string will not reduce the draw weight of your Howatt Hunter. All of the Traditional sites I read recomend D Merril for recurve strings, just ordered two strings from him myself. Heck of a string for $10 and shipping.

www.dmerrill.com