PDA

View Full Version : Sticky cable slide effect to drop-away arrow rest operation

Phantonza
03-28-2012, 10:03 PM
From previous experience with my old bow I know that the operation of ordinary plastic slide pieces in cable guards can be a little sticky when drawing the bow in rain. Now with my Onza 3 (whose slide I have not changed to teflon yet) I noticed that in colder weather (already at around 32 F/0 C), the plastic slide does not always come to its most backward position in full draw but remains some minor fractions of an inch front of it. I believe the plastic in the slide shrinks more than the carbon rod due to temperature drop (so it's more loose in room temperature). This certainly would not be a problem otherwise, but the QAD Ultrarest HD arrow rest seems to be very, very sensitive to this: the timing cord needs to be pulled exactly the right amount by the downward travelling cable where the timing cord is attached to. If the cable slide sticks to the rod even a small amount, the pull of this cord can be just a bit too short and the timing of the rest is no longer perfect. This is my current diagnosis at least. The QAD rest has alignment marks so I can easily observe this. And I have also observed that the alignments needs to be precise for correct operation! I will continue experimenting (will put some silicone spray to the slide/rod and later change the teflon slide). My trust for the arrow rest is pretty much gone since it is so sensitive, even if lubrication or teflon slide fixes the issue. I think after beaver hunting season I will switch back to Whisker Biscuit (which is not a good rest for the full length, extra heavy arrows that I use for beaver).

Anyone else ever noticed a similar issue with drop-away rests with cable attachment?

I have friends who use the same arrow rest and are very satisfied. It is also very hard to find any problem reports from the internet.

Phantonza
03-28-2012, 11:32 PM
To make it clear: the timing cord is attached to the cable and not to the cable slide. Still the cable slide position seems to have this effect.

Some people also say that any kind of lubrication of the slide/rod is a bad idea because it will collect dirt. Kind of hard to believe that about the silicon oil.

droppixel
03-29-2012, 04:48 AM
If you are worried about the slide not moving fully in cold weather or in wet conditions, I strongly suggest looking into a Saunders Hyper Glide slide. I have one on my Cheetah and it draws super smooth and will have no problems in colder temps. Should have another bow with a rod/slide - this is one of the first things I will be "upgrading"

Phantonza
03-29-2012, 05:04 AM
If you are worried about the slide not moving fully in cold weather or in wet conditions, I strongly suggest looking into a Saunders Hyper Glide slide. I have one on my Cheetah and it draws super smooth and will have no problems in colder temps. Should have another bow with a rod/slide - this is one of the first things I will be "upgrading"

Interesting! I add the link here: http://www.sausa.com/product.php?product_pk1=32

However, I believe the teflon piece will do the job with fewer moving parts :)