PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a bow for my fiance

jrlyman
04-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Any thoughts on the Prowler Pro with the Fury xt cam and 50 lb limbs? Her draw needs to be measured but its probably about 24", so the bow might just adjust enough to fit her (we'd definitely check before any money is spent. She's quite petite so she'd never pull more than 50 lbs, so thats why I am thinking the light limbs. And then the bow would I guess adjust all the way down to 15 lbs... Though she'd probably shoot it at no less than 25.

Anyone have any experience setting up one of these bows short and light? How did it shoot? I think it would probably be better to get something more directly aimed towards a short length low weight archer, but I can't help wondering about it.

polaris754
04-04-2012, 12:38 AM
Well if she can cook good and clean,I have a older Parker that i could trade for her . Me bad couldn't resists.:rolleyes:

droppixel
04-04-2012, 07:15 AM
Prowler won't be available for this year. But you on the right track I think in going with the Fury cam and the adjustability.

wscywabbit
04-04-2012, 07:15 AM
any of the bows with the Fury cam and 50# limbs would work just fine. As for the Prowler, and the Exile Pro, last I heard they were discontinued do to unavoidable outside interference... (3rd party could not meet their production requirements).

I would check out the Exile or the Bengal...

madman350
04-04-2012, 04:21 PM
if she is petite i wouldnt get her a bow that is over 3 or 3.3 lbs tops, which the crossfire,exile and non existent prowler just make. add sight,rest,arrow etc it adds up. i certainly agree she needs a bow that is designer for smaller statured shooters, and not just only look at the draw length & poundage specs. unfortunately that leaves her with few martin options in 2012 models.
best bets : 1. razor edge slender and nicely adjustable w/plenty of good reviews also.
2. thunderbolt/pink destiny very adjustable and virtually silent, the slimmest compound bow i have ever seen.
3. recurve = it is still fun and can help her build up strength til she can pull more weight.

jrlyman
04-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Good insight madman. The bow needs to fit her in more than just draw length and draw weight. Thats something I hadn't thought much about. So now my list of bows sadly doesn't have any Martins at the top of it... At least until I start looking for my next bow... ;)

nuker
04-19-2012, 09:28 PM
Bowtech Heartbreaker.

droppixel
04-19-2012, 11:50 PM
Bowtech Heartbreaker.

Ur banned! :p

mdodraw29
04-20-2012, 12:20 AM
bear siren?

droppixel
04-20-2012, 12:44 AM
bear siren?

ur banned! :p

Enough joking for me, going to bed now.

mdodraw29
04-20-2012, 03:36 AM
how about a leopard? someone has to have a leftover in stock.

Atavio
04-20-2012, 08:23 AM
My wife's CrossFire suite her well, and with her loghter arrows and low draw weight she is as accurate as can be!

Any thoughts on the Prowler Pro with the Fury xt cam and 50 lb limbs? Her draw needs to be measured but its probably about 24", so the bow might just adjust enough to fit her (we'd definitely check before any money is spent. She's quite petite so she'd never pull more than 50 lbs, so thats why I am thinking the light limbs. And then the bow would I guess adjust all the way down to 15 lbs... Though she'd probably shoot it at no less than 25.

Anyone have any experience setting up one of these bows short and light? How did it shoot? I think it would probably be better to get something more directly aimed towards a short length low weight archer, but I can't help wondering about it.

bfisher
04-20-2012, 11:03 AM
ur banned! :p

Enough joking for me, going to bed now.

We know you're joking so no harm done. As for banning anybody over this? Ain't gonna happen. I see nothing wrong with making suggestions that would benefit another archer, whether it be a Martin bow or not. Afterall, archers helping archersis what this site is about. If Martin doesn't make a suitable bow for somebody's purpose then help a guy or gal out.

droppixel
04-20-2012, 11:21 AM
We know you're joking so no harm done. As for banning anybody over this? Ain't gonna happen. I see nothing wrong with making suggestions that would benefit another archer, whether it be a Martin bow or not. Afterall, archers helping archersis what this site is about. If Martin doesn't make a suitable bow for somebody's purpose then help a guy or gal out.

Ur banned too!! But true story, regardless of this being a Martin based forum, that is what sets us apart from the other locations. Frankly I don't know squat about bow that are more geared/suited towards women, so this is a good thread for me to just read with what people come up with.

Lung Buster
04-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Yea what about the leopard are they not availible? They are designed for young shooters and small framed shooters right?

Simple Life
04-22-2012, 06:05 AM
Please don't ban me DP,but I bought a Mission Craze for the wife,light weight,with lots of adjust-ability to fit any-one.She loves it,I think she shoots more than me now.:rolleyes:

elkslayer4x5
04-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Please don't ban me DP,but I bought a Mission Craze for the wife,light weight,with lots of adjust-ability to fit any-one.She loves it,I think she shoots more than me now.:rolleyes:

We won't ban you but will sugest that you should eat an onion to get the taste of that other M brand out of your mouth. :p As for Leopards, found two of them on fleabay, one used and one new in box, here's a link to 'em!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-Leopard-Youth-Compound-Bow-27-25-40-Right-Handed-PSE-DARTON-MATHEWS-G5-/270961332641?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f168dd1a1 This is the used one.

And the new in box bow, ships free.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-Leopard-Bow-Package-50LB-Camo-Right-Hand-M92CLA965MPRH-NEW-/370605913788?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5649d576bc
Good luck!

Arrow Splitter
04-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Bowtech Heartbreaker.

bear siren?
I didn't see this.:eek: LOL J/K

A.S

Arrow Splitter
04-23-2012, 05:48 PM
We won't ban you but will sugest that you should eat an onion to get the taste of that other M brand out of your mouth. :p

Now that was funny!! LOL:D:D

@ OP All the bows suggested here should be great, now it's going to be personal preference.

A.S

droppixel
04-23-2012, 05:51 PM
We won't ban you but will sugest that you should eat an onion to get the taste of that other M brand out of your mouth. :p As for Leopards, found two of them on fleabay, one used and one new in box, here's a link to 'em!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-Leopard-Youth-Compound-Bow-27-25-40-Right-Handed-PSE-DARTON-MATHEWS-G5-/270961332641?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f168dd1a1 This is the used one.

And the new in box bow, ships free.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-Leopard-Bow-Package-50LB-Camo-Right-Hand-M92CLA965MPRH-NEW-/370605913788?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5649d576bc
Good luck!

YES Fleabay has stuck!! I WIN! All in good humor, I've heard the Misson Craze is a nice bow for youth/women. Nothing wrong with going with something that fits best for the shooter, but as a Martin diehard ... I gotta get my jab in. No ill will :p

mudpig
04-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Not to add more fuel to this fire, but I bought one of the Diamond Razors Edge for my wife. The Short ATA, relatively light weight, and high weight adjustability (30-60#), adjustable draw mods, and availabilty were the selling points for us. She didn't start out very strong, but eventually wants to hunt, so we needed a large weight adjustment. Price isn't bad either.

jrlyman
04-25-2012, 03:41 PM
We went to some shops and looked around. Didn't like the Razor's Edge because the cable on the top cam can come off so easily. But she really fell in love with the Bear Homewrecker. It looks like a good solid affordable bow. We'll probably take one home with us the next time we visit the shop. I only wish I could get joelc as the customer service behind the Bear bow...

dzsmith
04-25-2012, 06:50 PM
bear siren?

yes bear makes several lower poundage lower price bows that a woman can shoot. after much research and no luck with martin for this years line of bows (im not knocking martin, there obviously for men :)) to the petiteness of my girlfriend im seriously looking into the bear outbreak, very adjustable 15-70 lbs, its right under 30"ata, 3.5 lbs, drawlenght i think is 22 or 24 to 30. so its a very adjustable bow, and the best part is , its a 300 dollar bow. you can get it with a rest, stabilizer, sight, wristling, and nock loop for 400, cant beat that price. ibo 310fps. the siren is long, 3.8lbs, max draw is 50lbs, and ibo is 300. and is like 600 or 700 dollars, in my opinion for a small frame weaker bow, thats kind of bad to pay that much, its basically kids version of the bear anarchy that cost 150 cheaper.

dzsmith
04-25-2012, 06:53 PM
We went to some shops and looked around. Didn't like the Razor's Edge because the cable on the top cam can come off so easily. But she really fell in love with the Bear Homewrecker. It looks like a good solid affordable bow. We'll probably take one home with us the next time we visit the shop. I only wish I could get joelc as the customer service behind the Bear bow...

oh crap i forgot to mention that one, that is the other bow by bear with good adjustability, i just think the outbreak is a better deal because its cheaper and more adjustable. it just doesnt have pink and its kind of ugly, chances are she may not like it, but its cheaper, and faster 310 ibo compared to 280 with the homewrecker

dzsmith
04-25-2012, 06:56 PM
My wife's CrossFire suite her well, and with her loghter arrows and low draw weight she is as accurate as can be!
id love to hear about the crossfire, i have never met anyone on this sight who owns one. does it shoot faster than the claimed ibo, because it has dual nitro 2.0 cams, and speedwieghts on the strings, yet the sight claims 320fps, so in other words if i put dual nitro 2.0 cams on my exile with the speedweights on the string, i would still only get 320 ibo. something isnt right