PDA

View Full Version : Thermal Grip Problem

Thermodude
04-05-2012, 11:19 AM

I had a little problem with the adhesive of the thermal grip not wanting to stick, the more I shot the more the leather wanted to pull and wrinkle. I shoot the bow alot and on weekends it gets a real work out plus our spring has been really hot and damp so Im guessing that had alot to do with it. Anyway I removed the leather portion, reglued the wood inserts back in place then I placed a limbsaver stick on ...................onto the handle so it wouldnt slip, all is well again!

Phantonza
04-05-2012, 11:45 AM
I had a little problem with the adhesive of the thermal grip not wanting to stick, the more I shot the more the leather wanted to pull and wrinkle.

Did you try a different glue or did you just try to get it work with the original adhesive?

Anyway I removed the leather portion, reglued the wood inserts back in place then I placed a limbsaver stick on ...................onto the handle so it wouldnt slip, all is well again!

"So it wouldn't slip"... I am not sure I understand. It is only better if the handle is slippery and does not stick to your hand. Any "stickyness" will just induce torque. That is why rubber grips are a bad idea.

Speedykills
04-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Looks good,just curious were there screw holes under the wood plates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thermodude
04-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Did you try a different glue or did you just try to get it work with the original adhesive?

"So it wouldn't slip"... I am not sure I understand. It is only better if the handle is slippery and does not stick to your hand. Any "stickyness" will just induce torque. That is why rubber grips are a bad idea.

The original glue was still tacky and was still stuck pretty good on the left side but the leather was wrinkled up and wouldnt stay in place, plus the wooden insert had come lose on the right side. After I got everything off and the handle cleaned up I figured that on a hot day and with a sweaty hand the grip would be slick so I decided to put the limbsaver strip in place for friction. It really feels pretty good and shoots great. As for screw holes under the leather........there is one hole through the center of the handle.

bfisher
04-06-2012, 05:53 AM
In all honesty I like a slick grip and as little friction as possible. A slick grip lets the bow slide into the hand to as close to the same position as possible whereas a rubber or tacky grip won't allow this to happen. If you don't have your hand into the grip the same every time it can cause accuracy issues, most notably unexpained high shots. Same as heeling the bow. In the past I have used baby powder on my bow hand, but I'm considering starting to use silicon spray on the grip area and see how that does.

Thermodude
04-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Thats very true, so far Im not having any problems but if I do Ill just peel the rubber off.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Thats very true, so far Im not having any problems but if I do Ill just peel the rubber off.Peel the rubber off and use camo duct tape.:rolleyes: It's great for that. LOL couldn't resist.

Hutch

Thermodude
04-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Peel the rubber off and use camo duct tape.:rolleyes: It's great for that. LOL couldn't resist.

Hutch

All Ive got is silver.............it just didnt seem to go with my wrist strap!.......lol