PDA

View Full Version : serving over idler pulley..... yay or nay?

Snakeman72
04-08-2012, 07:56 PM
hey guys, just wondering what your thoughts were on the subject. I have an 09 bonehunter(cheetah) thats in need of a new string and was wondering if it is worth it. its showing some wear there and when i tear it down im gonna polish the groove anyway. just wondering opinions either way
thanks

Ehunter
04-08-2012, 08:08 PM
I've got an '07 Rytera, and an '08 Moab, and neither have serving over the idler. Both are on the original strings as well. Yeah, I need to get them relaced one of these days. lol Neither shows any real signs of wear around the idler though.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Martin and Pse have the option of idler serving or not. Both companies don't serve to give the bows more fps. So its your choice.

Hutch:cool:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-08-2012, 08:16 PM
OH btw welcome to the forum!!!!

Hutch:cool:

Snakeman72
04-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Thanks guys. guess i'll go with nay

Lung Buster
04-09-2012, 06:07 PM
What do you guys use for polish on the grooves of the idler wheels

bfisher
04-09-2012, 06:26 PM
On cams or idler wheels I don't use anything to smooth out the grooves themselves. What I do though is use a fine file or most often some 400 grit sandpaper and champfer the inner edge of them. IMO they are machined and left with a sharp inner edge. I was just comparing my Hybrix/Nitro cams with the Nitrous cams on my 2005 ShadowCat. The nitrous cams have a slightly wider groove and both the outer edge and inner edge are nicely rounded. One of those details to quality that IMO needs to be corrected. I think if this were done a lot of the string wear problems would just go away. Until then this is, unfortunately, left up to the consumer.

Thermodude
04-10-2012, 05:25 AM
On cams or idler wheels I don't use anything to smooth out the grooves themselves. What I do though is use a fine file or most often some 400 grit sandpaper and champfer the inner edge of them. IMO they are machined and left with a sharp inner edge. I was just comparing my Hybrix/Nitro cams with the Nitrous cams on my 2005 ShadowCat. The nitrous cams have a slightly wider groove and both the outer edge and inner edge are nicely rounded. One of those details to quality that IMO needs to be corrected. I think if this were done a lot of the string wear problems would just go away. Until then this is, unfortunately, left up to the consumer.

Very true about this being a quality issue that needs to be caught and corrected. The overall finish of the cams or idler wheels contributes greatly to the reliability of the bow. This is a major contact surface with the strings and cables, there is no room for error here. Just my opinion but no one should ever have to cleanup sharp edges or burrs from the cams on a new bow!