PDA

View Full Version : old cougar

navaman
12-06-2007, 05:54 AM
just wonderering if it's possible to put newer cams on an older model bow? thanks.......albert

bfisher
12-06-2007, 10:37 AM
How old? If it's got wood/glass laminated limbs I wouldn't. Give some more info. Year of bow, cams on it now and what you might want to change them to.

Oh, yeh, what limbs are on the bow? Measure the length and look for a number/letter on the side of the base at the limb pocket. Let's start there and see what ya got.

navaman
12-07-2007, 09:32 AM
it was made about 1983' the limbs are fiberglass and i'll have to give more details when i get hme. i'm working out of town right now.

navaman
12-11-2007, 06:15 PM
okay. here's the info.the limbs are measuring 16.5 . on front of the riser these numbers and letters are written. 2431 located top right. below that to the left WHP and to the right of that 37288.
the number engraved in the limb is 4.
sure hope that helps. it would be nice to put newer cams that had better let off for my old tired arms. as a carpenter, the wood riser is very appealing and last but definately not least ; the old man that sold it to me for next to nothing would get a kick out of seeing it being used and with the help of God taking meat. :D

bfisher
12-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Does it have steel cables?

I honestly think it would not be cost effective as you'd have to buy the cams, modules and complete new rigging. I also have doubts that the limbs would hold up to the stresses applied by modern cams and the no-stretch string/cables.

If you still want to pursue this you'd be best to get hold of Joel or Jake at Martin customer service. There's just a lot more to this than changing the cams. The length of cable and strings would have to be figured out and most likely custom made. Size of the cam has to be determined to get the proper draw length range and maybe even new limbs as the weight range might also drastically change.

Monetarily you're looking at somewhere around $200 to $300 till you get everything together. Is it worth it to you? Only you know that.

My advice, being an old guy with bad shoulders myself, would be to just shoot it as is or hang it up as a nastolgic relic. If you want to seriously hunt then a newer bow would be better. The Cheetah, Bengal, or MOAB with the MPro cam would be very nice if you want new, depending on your wallet. Even a used Bengal or Pantera from last year would be better.

Hope this helps.

navaman
12-17-2007, 08:40 AM
thank you very much for your experienced advice. i'm going to try to learn to use this bow and put it back in the field. my new hunting lease has double bull blinds set up no farther than 16 yards from the sendero trails. i believe the old cougar could handle that. i also posted some ideas on another thread, about an old prowler. i'd welcome your thoughts and opinions on that idea also if you have the time. thanks.............albert