PDA

View Full Version : Bow press for Martin/Rytera?

B4L Okie
04-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Hey all, I am about to drop about 300 (all I can afford now) on a press for my '11 Pantera...so the 2 I am eyeing are the Monster-Pac press and the Omni Press. Both about 300 on fleabay and both have + and - points also. The omni has a bow vise attachment I like, but the U-bolt style instead of adjustable fingers for the limb tips kinda looks weaker and cheaper than the Monster Pac w/ adjustable fingers. Are either of these approved for Martin/Rytera or how do I find out? Thanks ahead of time...B4L Okie. Would love a Bow Time Machine or Bow A Constrictor, just not in the green enough right now.

dugout
06-01-2012, 06:54 AM
The Last Chance Easy Press is what I would buy but 600 bucks? I might be tempted to get a Hooter Shooter, first.
Anyway, I would love one too, but here is the rub. We can make one. it's not that hard. The issue is it has to be more convenient than winding the limb bolts out 10-12 turns or it will seldom get used.
The easy press is just that and perfect for string work, yoke and cam tuning and peep tuning. It's quick and easy.
At least we have a choice. With Martin Bows, no press needed is very high on the list of reasons to stay with Martin bows, in my book.

mdodraw29
06-01-2012, 01:15 PM
you don't need a press to remove your string on your bow, Martin is the only company that is like this.

bfisher
06-01-2012, 04:43 PM
I just looked at the two presses mentioned. I have my doubts about the Omni press. If you really pay attention you'll notice that the only bows being pressed are older models of conventional limb design. How well it would work with parallel or past parallel limbs is something I'd have to see. The Monster Pac is somehwat the same, but the angle the limbs are pulled from is somewhat better.

I don't know how much work you guys do on your bows, but I do my share. I've got an old Apple hydraulic bench mount that I haven't used I'll bet for at least 5 years and probably closer to 8 years. It works pretty much on the same principle as the Monster Pac.

What I did end up getting qquite a few years ago is a Bowmaster. I got the older style split limb adaptors as I was shooting for Pearson at the time and all their bows were the split limb models. I can do pretty much everything I want with it including complete tear downs. It's a bit tedious at times and slower than a real press, but most of the times I use it I'm at one of the archery clubs I belong to so I'm "out in the field". I do like the idea of it being portable. I rarely ever make adjustments at home and at the clubs it has seen work on a lot of other peoples' bows.

The other main thing I like about it is that because the tips attach at the limb forks there is no chance of twisting a riser. And for the price of about $45 it's probably the single best investment in archery equipment I've made in 40 years. Well, that and my Bitzenberger jig that's over 35 years old.

dugout
06-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Barry, If you don't mind, what do you think of the current Split Limb adaptors? I would might consider the product it it pulled from the Limb tip/axle area of the limb and not the crotch of the split.

Thermodude
06-02-2012, 05:40 AM
you don't need a press to remove your string on your bow, Martin is the only company that is like this.

This is very true and Ive made adjustments by backing out the limb bolts many times, however its very awkward trying to work on your bow when its not contained in some fashion either by a bow vise or secured in a press. Given the chance Ill take a good bow press everytime!

dugout
06-02-2012, 06:22 AM
This is very true and Ive made adjustments by backing out the limb bolts many times, however its very awkward trying to work on your bow when its not contained in some fashion either by a bow vise or secured in a press. Given the chance Ill take a good bow press everytime!That is the rub isn't it. I don't mind backing off the limbs to change strings, etc, but it is a lot to do to align a peep with a half turn on the string. I'm going to take another look at the Bowmaster w/split limb adapters.

bfisher
06-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Barry, If you don't mind, what do you think of the current Split Limb adaptors? I would might consider the product it it pulled from the Limb tip/axle area of the limb and not the crotch of the split.

I haven't used the newer split limb adaptors. I have a friend who uses them and he does OK. His bow is an Alien Z, by the way. They seem a little busy to me. They can be adjusted for different width limbs and I guess once set for your own bow they work just fine. They do provide for having the Bowmaster outside the confines of the string and cables which is a nice feature.

Me? I just use the crotch of the fork. In fact, Bowmaster comes with little leather patches to put between the limb and the cable, but I even quit using them. The limbs are parallel enough that once positioned and just a slight bit of pressure is applied you can move the ends a little more toward the limb tips so that the Bowmater cable doesn't even touch the crotch of the limbs.

dugout
06-02-2012, 04:20 PM
I haven't used the newer split limb adaptors. I have a friend who uses them and he does OK. His bow is an Alien Z, by the way. They seem a little busy to me. They can be adjusted for different width limbs and I guess once set for your own bow they work just fine. They do provide for having the Bowmaster outside the confines of the string and cables which is a nice feature. Me? I just use the crotch of the fork. In fact, Bowmaster comes with little leather patches to put between the limb and the cable, but I even quit using them. The limbs are parallel enough that once positioned and just a slight bit of pressure is applied you can move the ends a little more toward the limb tips so that the Bowmater cable doesn't even touch the crotch of the limbs.I ordered a press this morning and will give it a go. I also ordered the "new" brackets. Are these what you described? They are intended for both split and reg limbs. I like the idea of pulling from the end of the limbs. We will see.:)

andy_camping
06-02-2012, 07:35 PM
I'm wondering if those would be too wide for the new slimmer limbs? I've been looking at those as well...I've got a 2012 Bengal.

dugout
06-02-2012, 09:27 PM
I'm wondering if those would be too wide for the new slimmer limbs? I've been looking at those as well...I've got a 2012 Bengal.Well, I guess we are about to find out. They say maximum cam width of 3/4" but who knows how that will relate to actual width or size. I'll post up info after they get here.

dugout
06-07-2012, 09:17 PM
As promised, Received the Bowmaster Press and the new model brackets. This thing is so simple and easy to use I feel stupid for not owning one till now. It fits on the 2010 Bengal perfect! I tune with tiller and this will allow me to keep the limb bolts exactly where I put them. Here are the pictures of the bracket:

bfisher
06-08-2012, 06:30 AM
Those limb adaptors are not the NEW style I talked about. I haven't seen them before. They are more or less the old style revised, but they should work fine. The older version was more of a "U" shape where it hooked over the ends of the limbs. So these, instead of the "U" shape look like they are just bent at about 90* to be used on parallel limbs. So simple, I can't believe I didn't think of it. Now I know all I have to do is rebend the ones I have. Cool!!!

Hope you enjoy this contraption. I know the Bowmaster isn't a full press and it's a bit slow, but then it doesn't cost a small fortune either and will do most anything you need to do with a bow. The other nice thing is that you don't need a pickup truck to transport it around with you.

droppixel
06-08-2012, 09:19 AM
What do the adapters typically run? I've been looking into getting one for quite a while now. I have something rigged up similar to the bowmaster in a turnbuckle with some cables that I have used a few times for quick things, but nothing major.

Spiker
06-08-2012, 11:56 AM
I have a set of the older ones like Barry mentioned - the 'hooks' are curved rather than being just bent at a 90.
They work well on some bows but not so well on others and in some cases you have to move the draw stop out of the way.

I also have a set of these:

They are adjustable for any width limb and cost about $18.00.
They are a bit clumsy to use the first few times but once you get the hang of it - it's no more difficult than the other brackets.
Really not bad at all if you have the bow in a vise.
They say they are not made for past parallel limbs but they work on all my Martins/Ryteras and Strother.

wscywabbit
06-08-2012, 10:39 PM
I have the ones Spiker shows and they work great. I think that the 90 ones are new for this year....

dugout
06-09-2012, 08:18 AM
What do the adapters typically run? I've been looking into getting one for quite a while now. I have something rigged up similar to the bowmaster in a turnbuckle with some cables that I have used a few times for quick things, but nothing major.Like 17 bucks at Lancaster.

bfisher
06-09-2012, 11:44 AM
I have a set of the older ones like Barry mentioned - the 'hooks' are curved rather than being just bent at a 90.
They work well on some bows but not so well on others and in some cases you have to move the draw stop out of the way.

I also have a set of these:

They are adjustable for any width limb and cost about $18.00.
They are a bit clumsy to use the first few times but once you get the hang of it - it's no more difficult than the other brackets.
Really not bad at all if you have the bow in a vise.
They say they are not made for past parallel limbs but they work on all my Martins/Ryteras and Strother.

Spiker, where you getting those things for $18.00? Lancaster sells them for $37.00.

I think my older ones are going to be seeing a vise pretty soon and get straightened out to 90*. I don't know how well they'll work till I try them that way, but there is a little secret to using them. When you hook them on the limb tip and apply pressure they tend to pull in against the string meaning you need to crank the press down more to get slack in the string. I learned to put them between the string and cable then hook them over the limb tips. That way they don't make contact with the string. Result is less cranking needed.

And for the guys that haven't tried the split limb adaptors let it be known that they work just as well on solid limbs. The only real problems I've encountered is that my older ones won't hook onto bows wilth really large cams. Fury XT cam might be a problem. Nothing that can't be cured by grinding the slot longer.

dugout
06-09-2012, 03:20 PM
I don't know how well they'll work till I try them that way, but there is a little secret to using them. When you hook them on the limb tip and apply pressure they tend to pull in against the string meaning you need to crank the press down more to get slack in the string. I learned to put them between the string and cable then hook them over the limb tips. That way they don't make contact with the string. Result is less cranking needed.That is the way I did it, snaking the bracket between the cables/Yoke and the string. The purchase was much more fair with the bow press not pressing on anything but the limb tips...

...now I need to go back out and find one more arrow which sailed over my berm into the woods. I got a Carter Only BT release and this is like going from a dually P/U to a Ferrari... :eek::confused::cool:;)

Spiker
06-10-2012, 02:20 AM
Spiker, where you getting those things for $18.00? Lancaster sells them for $37.00.

I think my older ones are going to be seeing a vise pretty soon and get straightened out to 90*. I don't know how well they'll work till I try them that way, but there is a little secret to using them. When you hook them on the limb tip and apply pressure they tend to pull in against the string meaning you need to crank the press down more to get slack in the string. I learned to put them between the string and cable then hook them over the limb tips. That way they don't make contact with the string. Result is less cranking needed.

And for the guys that haven't tried the split limb adaptors let it be known that they work just as well on solid limbs. The only real problems I've encountered is that my older ones won't hook onto bows wilth really large cams. Fury XT cam might be a problem. Nothing that can't be cured by grinding the slot longer.

Yeah - your right there. I got mine from Prototech 3 or 4 years ago when they first came out. I looked them up again and they are $36-$40 now.
I found one place that still lists them at $17 but when you read the details it states - "not as pictured, new L-shaped brackets"...

Scott
07-27-2012, 09:47 PM

Like Duh, that's a no brainer. One of many good reasons to by Martin Products. I thought every one new this, guess not. You can loosen the limb bolts enough to press them in with your hands and drop the string off, if need be. I back them out so the string is limp put my foot under the back side of one limb, push in the top limb and slide off the string, it's that easy.

bob cooly
02-15-2013, 08:14 AM
I've been using a Low-end Apple Archery Press for a few years and have had zero problems pressing bows up to 38" ATA. I back the bow down 4-5 turns and it works really well. It's in the field that the Martin takedown system shines, to replaced a string or install a peep, whatever. Think I paid under $300 from Cabela's on sale. I do afair amount of work for our local club members as the nearest (pro-shop) is 100 miles away and they are NOT user freindly!

peace
03-13-2013, 11:38 PM
This thread was very helpful, probably saved me several hundred dollars. Thanks guys.