PDA

View Full Version : Cable Slides?

Thermodude
04-24-2012, 06:55 PM
I was looking at the Saunders Hyper Glide and was wondering if anyone had any input on them? Years ago I used their roller cage and it worked well.....it was just really big.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-24-2012, 07:36 PM
They are great, son had one and I used it on my bow. When I sold my bow I had to sell it with it. Wish I didn't, but its too late now.

Hutch:cool:

NuttyNative
04-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Great slide, very quiet and smooth.

droppixel
04-24-2012, 08:26 PM
one of the first things I bought for my Bengal. Have one on my Cheetah and love it.

Arrow Splitter
04-24-2012, 08:39 PM
It's definitely a great slide.

A.S

Phantonza
04-26-2012, 04:07 AM
I ordered a teflon slide for my Onza 3 but I haven't got it yet. On tuesday I was shooting at our 3D course and it was a bit rainy. Once again I noticed that a simple plastic slide just doesn't work reliably with a drop-away rest (QAD Ultrarest HD). Because of wet conditions, the slide wouldn't come all the way back, but remain slighly more front (it gets stuck to the rod a bit). You wouldn't know otherwise, but the alignment marks in the rest show this clearly (the cord of the rest is attached to the downward cable, not to the cable slide). When the bow was dry again (indoors), the rest marks aligned in full draw again.

I will go beaver hunting this weekend, so I finally decided to take the teflon slide from my old bow and put it to the Onza for now. That should fix the problem.

My opinion: Martin should not ship bows with such a poor quality slides (this one: http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/part_number=BP51/189.0.1.1). Instead, they should always use the teflon slide like this: http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/part_number=BP50/189.0.1.1 .

It's funny, the plastic slide costs a bit more than teflon one in Martin's web store :confused: And they still choose to install the plastic one to bows. Well, they seem to use the teflon one sometimes, I wonder why not always.

But I must say the Saunders solution is interesting.

droppixel
04-26-2012, 08:30 AM
Not sure what the material is of the ones coming on the 2012, but the white slide on the Bengal seems to move pretty well. Looked like the edges might be a little rough, but it has already been replaced with a Saunders. One of the first things I put on it when I got it out of the box ;)

Any bow I ever own that is rod/slide will have one of those on it.

Thermodude
04-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Not sure what the material is of the ones coming on the 2012, but the white slide on the Bengal seems to move pretty well. Looked like the edges might be a little rough, but it has already been replaced with a Saunders. One of the first things I put on it when I got it out of the box ;)

Any bow I ever own that is rod/slide will have one of those on it.

My Onza will have one this weekend............cant wait to try it out!

wscywabbit
04-26-2012, 05:53 PM
right on, let us know how you like it!

Phantonza
05-07-2012, 02:16 AM
I ordered a teflon slide for my Onza 3 but I haven't got it yet. On tuesday I was shooting at our 3D course and it was a bit rainy. Once again I noticed that a simple plastic slide just doesn't work reliably with a drop-away rest (QAD Ultrarest HD). Because of wet conditions, the slide wouldn't come all the way back, but remain slighly more front (it gets stuck to the rod a bit). You wouldn't know otherwise, but the alignment marks in the rest show this clearly (the cord of the rest is attached to the downward cable, not to the cable slide). When the bow was dry again (indoors), the rest marks aligned in full draw again.

I will go beaver hunting this weekend, so I finally decided to take the teflon slide from my old bow and put it to the Onza for now. That should fix the problem.

The teflon slide from my old bow DID NOT fix the problem which was somewhat a surprise to me. I had a 3D competition this weekend and the weather was going to be cold and rainy. I did not want to fight with the arrow rest trouble again. I made two changes to my setup (that I didn't even have a chance to test in rainy conditions before the competition):

- I used a Hoyt cable slide (made of black plastic, not teflon. The plastic feels harder than the original Martin slide, though.)
- I lubricated the cable guard rod with silicone spray

Result: no problems whatsoever, even though the weather was the worst possible!

I know that some people think you should not lubricate the cable guard. I think I may wery well continue doing so, as it seems to be the only way to make things work with QAD Ultrarest HD drop-away rest in cold/rainy weather. Or, I will change the rest back to the idiot-proof Whisker Biscuit :p

Unfortunately, I cannot be sure which one was the reason of fixing the problem: the Hoyt slide or the lubricant. My guess is the lubricant...

Thermodude
05-07-2012, 06:31 AM
The teflon slide from my old bow DID NOT fix the problem which was somewhat a surprise to me. I had a 3D competition this weekend and the weather was going to be cold and rainy. I did not want to fight with the arrow rest trouble again. I made two changes to my setup (that I didn't even have a chance to test in rainy conditions before the competition):

- I used a Hoyt cable slide (made of black plastic, not teflon. The plastic feels harder than the original Martin slide, though.)
- I lubricated the cable guard rod with silicone spray

Result: no problems whatsoever, even though the weather was the worst possible!

I know that some people think you should not lubricate the cable guard. I think I may wery well continue doing so, as it seems to be the only way to make things work with QAD Ultrarest HD drop-away rest in cold/rainy weather. Or, I will change the rest back to the idiot-proof Whisker Biscuit :p

Unfortunately, I cannot be sure which one was the reason of fixing the problem: the Hoyt slide or the lubricant. My guess is the lubricant...

I too clean my cable slide rod using a silicone lubricant and have good results with this. I also use a good qaulity automotive wax on the rod.......this seems to hold up longer.

Tosi
05-07-2012, 08:38 AM
I have the Sanderson on all my bows. They work, it seems as when I paper tune that my arrow is always to right near the riser, this brings my fletching close to the cables. The Sanderson Hyper slide keeps the cables a little closer to the cable slide and I get clearance. I'm using AAE MAX Hunters that have a some what high profile. The slides to me are smoother on draw and what I have read the slide will add a few feet per second. Not sure on that, I've never tested. I recommend them, very easy to install.

pizzadave
05-12-2012, 04:49 PM
I installed a Saunders Hyperglide on my 2010 Cheetah and I haven't looked back. It was very easy to install, and seems to work just as good as any other slide I have seen. it is quiet, and fast, and has a nice low price tag on it as well.

bowgramp59
05-12-2012, 05:16 PM
i use the slides from martin on line store on all my bows, haven't had any problems with them . if you clean them properly they all work. i use a alcohol pad then dry with micro fiber cloth.

Thermodude
05-15-2012, 07:42 PM
one of the first things I bought for my Bengal. Have one on my Cheetah and love it.

Put a hyper-glide on my Onza tonight and so far Im really pleased! I do have a question for the guys that are shooting them. Did you pick up any speed? The reason I ask is because my bow was dead on and now Im about an inch low at 20 yrds?

bfisher
05-15-2012, 08:23 PM
i use the slides from martin on line store on all my bows, haven't had any problems with them . if you clean them properly they all work. i use a alcohol pad then dry with micro fiber cloth.

Much the same here. The best lubricant for a rod/slide is no lubricant.

Hey dude. I haven't taken a close look at the Hyperglide,but compared with the original slide do the cables hang closer to the bow string? If so ad the cables aren't being pulled to the side as much it would be the same as untwisting the cables or twisting the bow string. The draw length would be a tad shorter, cam orientation would be different and peak weight would drop. All these would be very minimal, but who knows? Stranger things have happened.

Thermodude
05-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Much the same here. The best lubricant for a rod/slide is no lubricant.

Hey dude. I haven't taken a close look at the Hyperglide,but compared with the original slide do the cables hang closer to the bow string? If so ad the cables aren't being pulled to the side as much it would be the same as untwisting the cables or twisting the bow string. The draw length would be a tad shorter, cam orientation would be different and peak weight would drop. All these would be very minimal, but who knows? Stranger things have happened.

Very true, the cables are closer to the string, but just this past weekend I took 4 twists out of the cables to see how much it droped peak weight and it was only 1lb. Non the less something has changed, Ill get the chono out this weekend and see whats going on. It really is smooth, Ill give it that!

wscywabbit
05-15-2012, 08:39 PM
I changed out my slide for the hyper glide and it didn't change much at all. But the draw is sweeeeeet! I ran it through the chrono and it actually got a little faster. (or it was just the difference in lighting... it was nice and sunny out this weekend and the last time I chrono'd it the weather was overcast cold and wet). Point of impact did change a little bit, to the right. Weird thing was it was a little low at 20, but high at 30 and 40...

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-15-2012, 08:50 PM
I changed out my slide for the hyper glide and it didn't change much at all. But the draw is sweeeeeet! I ran it through the chrono and it actually got a little faster. (or it was just the difference in lighting... it was nice and sunny out this weekend and the last time I chrono'd it the weather was overcast cold and wet). Point of impact did change a little bit, to the right. Weird thing was it was a little low at 20, but high at 30 and 40...

Its the operator!!!:p

Hutch:cool:

wscywabbit
05-15-2012, 09:39 PM
You know, I could EASILY believe that it was me... but it wasn't a shot or two, it was groups low and right at 20 and high and right at 30 and 40. IDK, maybe my form was off that day or something! Chrono did jump up 4 fps though :)

Thermodude
05-16-2012, 06:24 PM
I tried all the different cable slides I have......tried them out on my Onza while ago with the help of my chrono. I wanted to see if any of them gave me any more speed and if they changed how the bow felt at the draw, more noise, less noise.......stuff like that. Well, from what I saw none of them gave me any more speed.......noise didnt change much and I felt no difference in the draw cycle. So with that being said I think it all comes down to how they wear and react in damp weather. Im thinking the hyper-glyde should cover the bases. The ones I used consisted of pure teflon, teflon composite, delin and the hyper-glyde.

bfisher
05-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Dude, I did the same thing about 10 years ago and got pretty much the same results. I think I tried about 8 different slides and there was no more than 2 fps between them. I basically just decided to go with the Simms teflon to ensure no chatter or squeaking when shooting in wet weather.

Rockyhud
05-23-2012, 11:25 PM
I have a Saunders Hyper-Glide and use it with my home-made TRG rod and it works very nice. And it's smoother than the teflon OEM slide (which also worked well). I haven't checked whether it provides any speed gains.