PDA

View Full Version : 2012 the year of making do$

bob cooly
04-29-2012, 06:46 PM
Being on a fixed income I am really scrutinizing any new purchases for this upcoming hunting season. Maybe some of you are doing the same. The biggest cost for me now is gas as my hunitng grounds are all 50-100 miles away. Scouting trips will be cut in half and not alot of half day trips anymore, I'll have to utilize my time and resources to the max. I've got enough arrows an broadheads to last my lifetime but that new Bengal or Pantera just begs to be bought. 2 older trailcams and and other years old stuff will be put to the test again. Looks like I'll have to sell a firearm or 2 to finance that new bow, and some new tires for the Heap (jeep).

TEN RING
04-29-2012, 06:56 PM
As long as you have your health you can make it work

deerchser
04-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Over the year I tend to hunt with the same set up year after year. I have never been one that can afford a new rig each season. I dont get to take scouting trips due to deer camp is 270 miles form home. I feel your pain, but then again, that is just normal for me. Good luck.

wscywabbit
04-29-2012, 06:58 PM
I hear ya, we were going to try to put in time for both deer and elk, but the money ain't there. Also our deercamp is a 5 hour drive from us, so not much scouting will get done either. Luckily I'm all set for equipment. I'd like to get a nice hand held GPS since some of the grounds we hunt on, a compass goes nuts from all the iron ore, but I think that'll wait till next year as well...

bob cooly
04-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Health, ah to be under 40 again, or 50, or 60.

WildWilt15
04-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Jeep= Just Empty Every Pocket

bob cooly
04-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Yes the Heap has cost me some $ but it's been paid for and will go anywhere I want to get, 2000 Cherokee. I actually slide the seats forward and am able to sleep in the back quite comfortably. And to replace it is not economically feasible. To think for years I hunted out of a 1964 Dodge car and still killed game.

bfisher
04-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Bub, check your PM's.

Barry

gravedigger
04-30-2012, 11:07 AM
i was in the same boat but since i no longer have a bow i guess i dont have to think about hunting no more.my deer and elk hunts started in aug and like you(besides a new bow) the equipment was not the cost i was thinking about.it was fuel,food,time,ice,watter,and everything else that made a hunt hard to do,so i saved up 2o-30 a month along with taking in cans i got from frieds and family to get the rest. and over the span of the year i was able to save around 700-800 for a 10 day trip.money is very tight.we have a month to month plan for our cash.first pay all the bills,then what ever is left over we split by 2 and devide by how many days are in the month. and that is what we have for food,fuel and kids.

Speedykills
04-30-2012, 12:54 PM
FYI any body that wanted to add to there income scrap metal is at a all time high right now,here in Oklahoma and likely everywhere else...Take a few scrap cars in, boom, instant hunting budget.

TEN RING
04-30-2012, 03:40 PM
scrap prices are down here in pa last year this time .72 cents a lb for cans now .61 cents

WildWilt15
04-30-2012, 04:27 PM
here in michigan scrap steel has been hangin around 10 cents a pound about 200 a ton

bowgramp59
04-30-2012, 06:28 PM
i to am on a fixed income, fortunately my hunting spot is only 10 miles from the house.i have a little nissan frontier pickup that does pretty good on gas, thats not a factor for my hunting, this darn arthritis is just about to take care of my hunting trips, I'm going to try and get my other knee fixed this winter. gas prices is supposed to go down this summer if we can believe our politicians. boy the spell check is a wonderful thing! i always have trouble with those big words like it & the! have a good day & good hunting for those that get to go!

mdodraw29
05-01-2012, 11:41 PM
I'm feeling your pain. My wife lost a good few years back and went back to work full time this fall for about half of what she was getting paid prior to the layoff. Now I have the new bow (silencer) and am going to need 100gr broadheads (was using 75gr mini blasters). Now I need to find a new mechanical broadhead and budget the money wisely.