PDA

View Full Version : string stops...for real or gimmick

cmwr
05-03-2012, 05:06 PM
There was a thread on archery talk about whether to remove string stops from a target bow and the replies were lots. Most people said string stops weren't as valuable as bow manufacturers made them sound and if you didn't have a brace height shorter than 7" they didn't do much. I had been wondering about installing/building a string stop for my older Martin which is getting dipped right now. Are they over rated? If you removed a string stop from a newer bow what difference would you notice shooting it if any?

Thermodude
05-03-2012, 06:21 PM
In my opinion string stops do alot for a bow. If you have a bow that has one on all you have to do is take it off then shoot, it will be pretty obvious what its there for. As for the guys on AT........Im sure most of the opinions were concerning target bows and noise. No it dosnt really matter if a target bow is loud, but a string stop does more than just quiet the bow, it helps to control vibration as well. I work with vibration every day , collecting vibration data and analyizing the data..........soft rubber string stops do an awsome job of eleminating all types of vibration. Like I said its JMO but I think they are a very important part of the bow.

TEN RING
05-03-2012, 06:37 PM
shoot a bow with a string stop and you will never want to shoot one with out one again

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-03-2012, 07:14 PM
One thing that is not mentioned. They have helped in an accidental dry fire. Stopping the string from going totally forward. Doesn't always work that way but has for some.

Hutch:cool:

Ehunter
05-03-2012, 07:32 PM
One other thing I think they help with. Gettng a consistent arrow release from the string. No two nocks are identical, and if one is fitting tighter than the others, I think a string stop helps to make a cleaner release. A tight nock will travel further forwards with the string before it releases, but having a stop will make that a shorter distance.

cmwr
05-03-2012, 08:16 PM
So in redoing my older Martin bow, How hard would it be to fabricate a string stop for it and would it be worth it? Can I buy one that installs under my lower mount cable guard? Thats my dilema is my rear threaded hole is being used by my stock cable guard.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-03-2012, 08:26 PM
We have been making them for years. Here is a thread that shows the latest one my son made.

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?23260-Home-made-string-stop!&highlight=string+stop (http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?23260-Home-made-string-stop%21&highlight=string+stop)

droppixel
05-03-2012, 09:03 PM
I'm calling it the real deal. When I got my Cheetah it didn't have one on it. I bought one of the Limbsaver ones and had to run the front mount, it made all the difference in the world when it comes to string twang. And that was huge for it being my hunting bow at the time ... and my only bow at that.

HawgEnvy
05-04-2012, 01:05 AM
The real deal for sure. Norway front mount sts is what you need. Not as clean looking as a rear mount but just as effective.

cmwr
05-04-2012, 06:55 AM
So does that mean on my 2012 silencer, the little x shaped rubber pieces that are in the string and both cables technically are not needed since it has a string stop? I hear everyone say it eliminates the need for string silencers yet the bow still came with both.

Thermodude
05-04-2012, 07:06 AM
So does that mean on my 2012 silencer, the little x shaped rubber pieces that are in the string and both cables technically are not needed since it has a string stop? I hear everyone say it eliminates the need for string silencers yet the bow still came with both.

Actually there is a chance that you dont need them...........only way to find that out is to remove them and shoot the bow to see if there is any difference. Strings and cables are going to vibrate after the shot regardless how the bow is set up, how the bow reacts to the vibration can be tweaked with experimentaion.

Lung Buster
05-04-2012, 08:38 AM
My bone hunter did not come with string silencers on but it did have the string stop on it and it was pretty quiet but i wanted to see if i could get a little more quiet i threw on a set of cat whiskers and it made a bit of difference. I am very happy with it so i would say it all depends on what ylu are looking for in your set up! I dont have any experience with the leach type string silencers i have always used the whiskers they last quite a while!

wscywabbit
05-04-2012, 10:32 AM
The 2011's did not come with string dampeners, just the stop. I put string leeches in because I had some on hand, and it didn't make a bit of difference; the STS was already doing a great job.

Tosi
05-04-2012, 03:13 PM
The string stop to a bow is like when AC was put into cars. Shoot without, and shoot with.. "Case solved". I concur with others, there's more to it but the string stop is major.

cmwr
05-04-2012, 08:27 PM
I had an archery shop tell me today that the problem with the front mounted ones that went under my stabilizer was they had a tendancy to work loose. Anyone had any experience with the norway front mount ones?

Thermodude
05-05-2012, 04:51 AM
I had an archery shop tell me today that the problem with the front mounted ones that went under my stabilizer was they had a tendancy to work loose. Anyone had any experience with the norway front mount ones?

I havent used them myself but I have seen them used and read threads on here about others using them. Yes, Im sure that there is a chance that it could work loose but the same can be said about all the other components on your bow. Im just curious but did the guy at the shop suggest that maybe you get another.....hmmmmm............say a newer bow? It just kinda sounds to me like he isnt really trying to be part of the solution. :confused:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-05-2012, 07:16 AM
We have made front and rear sts systems. The front work well if they have a locking nut. Mine never gave me a problem when I had it.

cmwr
05-05-2012, 07:25 AM
We have made front and rear sts systems. The front work well if they have a locking nut. Mine never gave me a problem when I had it.

Locking nut? You mean locking washer? I am trying to picture one. I assume the STS bracket has a hole that the stabilizer (or a bolt) pass through into the handle bushing.

Am I imagining things or did a picture of a Norway model I seen online have a quick disconnect on the front for your stab to bolt into? That would have meant there was a recessed allen bolt holding it to the riser. If I saw the pic correctly, that was an awesome idea and that is what I would be looking into.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-05-2012, 07:40 AM
The front system would consist of a bracket with a hole in the center (for riser mounting) and a hole in the side (for sts mounting) and a screw-in extension with nut (for holding the bracket and stabilizer) This allows you to take off the stabilizer when you need to without taking off the sts.

Lung Buster
05-05-2012, 09:57 AM
The front system would consist of a bracket with a hole in the center (for riser mounting) and a hole in the side (for sts mounting) and a screw-in extension with nut (for holding the bracket and stabilizer) This allows you to take off the stabilizer when you need to without taking off the sts.

You are absolutely correct about the front mount stop hutch that is how the one on my alpine is set up and i never had any problems with it loosening up i put some blue loctite on the threads it been on there for about 8 years!

wscywabbit
05-05-2012, 10:20 AM
I can tell you though that I did take the string stop (SOS) off not long after I got my Onza to see if it actually worked, and OMG! The noise and vibration were horrible! Needless to say, it went right back on. ;)

MartinMan
05-05-2012, 09:42 PM
I agree with a lot of you. It may not quiet things down a whole lot, but it REALLY helps with the shock. I took mine off a week ago to see if it would make my bow quieter. It did make it quieter, but i had so much shock after removing it, that I put it back on. Hands down improvement.

Brian

Simple Life
05-06-2012, 06:58 AM
Want to see how well they work,shoot a Bear with the dual STS on it and see how quiet and vib free it is.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Want to see how well they work,shoot a Bear with the dual STS on it and see how quiet and vib free it is.Shoot a Bear!!!! WOW!!!! Your on the wrong forum!!!http://www.archerysite.net/vb/images/smilies/biggrin.gifhttp://www.archerysite.net/vb/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Arrow Splitter
05-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Want to see how well they work,shoot a Bear with the dual STS on it and see how quiet and vib free it is.Oh great, now you're promoting "other brands".:rolleyes: I think you need to see a doctor. LOL :p

cmwr
05-06-2012, 09:31 AM
Well if one makes a huge difference then 2 ought to be better.

Not trying to hijak my own thread but.................

As far as other brands go, I have no problem with Bear Archery. I started out on one and to date have had 3 Bears, 1 Jennings( back when Jennings owned Bear), one PSE, and 4 Martins. Good to see a parent company get back to the top. I consider Martin, Bear, Darton and PSE to be what I call parent companies. They all are innovators. The rest of them are followers. Before you speak.........Matt mathews may have made the single cam take off but Martin invented it.

I know you all were just kidding him anyways.:cool:

Arrow Splitter
05-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Not trying to hijak my own thread but.................

Don't worry, we already did that for you.:D

A.S

gh3741l
05-06-2012, 11:47 AM
I put one on my 2010 Bengal and it is like night and day with noise and the feel on release. Super quite and hardly any vibration. So I made one for my son's 2010 Saber and got the same results. I will never shoot a bow without one again. Standing next to each bow on release all you hear is something close to nothing.

cmwr
05-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Don't worry, we already did that for you.:D

A.S

;)...........

Thermodude
05-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Just to remind myself how important the STS is to the bows I own, this morning I took them off my Pantera and Onza then shot them. I was surprised that with the Pantera it wasnt as bad as I thought, but I have alot of limbsaver products on the bow........dont get me wrong, I could tell a huge difference. With my Onza the change was day and night.