PDA

View Full Version : Which vanes!!!!!!!!!!

Speedykills
05-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Ok here's the deal ive been shooting blazers quite awhile,everything hitting good,but i want pin point every time.but i used to shoot 4"dura vanes,still have some......Ok question my bohning jig will fletch blazers but with zero offset,but it will fletch duravanes with 3% or more.Im thinking of going back to the duravanes with max offset more spin better accuracy.
So if given choice which way would you guys go!...

Thermodude
05-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Both are good vanes, I shoot straight fletch and have no complaints as for accuracy. Ive shot Blazers for a long time and really like them. This year Im trying the Fusion Zeon vanes because I like how they gather light.

wscywabbit
05-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Will it not put an offset on the Blazers? I have a EZ fletch mini which puts a helical on a 2" vane or feather and had no issues putting blazers into it... if yours will do the same, you'll get better spin, and keep your FOC a little higher than with 4" vanes.

bfisher
05-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Another alternative is Duravane LP-400. They are a 4" low profile vane and weigh only 6.6 grains each, about 1 grain more than Blazers. Height profile is 3/8" (I think) so should alleviate fletch clearance problems. All the ones I ever used and checked were very consistent for weight. Durability is about the same as any other vane. I have some fletched on some GT UL 22 series arrows madeup for hunting. I don't hunt any more so they've been just sitting for almost 5 years. It's only three arrows as that's all I ever make up for hunting. If I need more I need to kick myself in the butt.

Speedykills
05-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Will it not put an offset on the Blazers? I have a EZ fletch mini which puts a helical on a 2" vane or feather and had no issues putting blazers into it... if yours will do the same, you'll get better spin, and keep your FOC a little higher than with 4" vanes.

Ya the one i have will only put a very not really noticeable offset on blazers as this jig is made for full size vanes,also confirmed by calling bohning about it.
They do make jigs specially for blazers it's i dont want to buy one now.

Speedykills
05-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Another alternative is Duravane LP-400. They are a 4" low profile vane and weigh only 6.6 grains each, about 1 grain more than Blazers. Height profile is 3/8" (I think) so should alleviate fletch clearance problems. All the ones I ever used and checked were very consistent for weight. Durability is about the same as any other vane. I have some fletched on some GT UL 22 series arrows madeup for hunting. I don't hunt any more so they've been just sitting for almost 5 years. It's only three arrows as that's all I ever make up for hunting. If I need more I need to kick myself in the butt.

Not having any clearance issues just i remember after the shot i could really see the arrow spin to the target blazers i dont.I might just fletch up a couple and do a comparison.

Ehunter
05-20-2012, 02:41 PM
If it offsets 4 inch vanes at 3 degrees, then whatever fletch you put in it should be the same offset. The jig doesn't know how long the vane is, just what offset to use. I think Blazer recommends around a 3 degree offset. What I shoot is Blazers, and Predator vanes, and I doubt I have more than a 3-4 degree offset. They don't appear to spin as much as a longer vane, but I think it's an optical illusion. Pulling broadheads out of a target, they are "screwed in" just like when I shot a 4 inch fletch.

Speedykills
05-20-2012, 02:45 PM
If it offsets 4 inch vanes at 3 degrees, then whatever fletch you put in it should be the same offset. The jig doesn't know how long the vane is, just what offset to use. I think Blazer recommends around a 3 degree offset. What I shoot is Blazers, and Predator vanes, and I doubt I have more than a 3-4 degree offset. They don't appear to spin as much as a longer vane, but I think it's an optical illusion. Pulling broadheads out of a target, they are "screwed in" just like when I shot a 4 inch fletch.

You would think that but because the blazers are so short they dont take full advantage of it.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-20-2012, 03:09 PM
I use blazers on mine and have used 4' duravanes as well. I leaned toward the blazers more and more. Because I couldn't see much of a difference in the blazers or the 4". But here is something that might help you. I used the blazers in my test when I used the super shooter. No matter where or what distance or even what angle I shot the arrows they where all consistent. 6" groups or less, mostly less. I use a stationary rest not a drop away. In short range (10yards or less) the blazer started to spin in that short distance. It may not spin as much as the 4" but it was as accurate.

Hutch:cool:

bfisher
05-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Don't want to argue the point, but what Blazers lack in length they supposedly make up for in height and stiffness. At least that's what the hype is. And just like EHunter says, the jig has no idea of how long the vane is. If it's set for 3* then all vanes or feathers are set at that. Optical illusions can really fool your brain.

For now, being as you have everything on hand I'd fletch a couple shafts, put on the broadheads and see what ya end up with. Prood is in the pudding, so to speak. You might end up pleasantly surprised.

Tosi
05-21-2012, 09:25 AM
I vote Blazers with an off set, if you can. I use AAE MAX hunters know vs. Blazers; they seem to give me better spin out over 6o yards, plus much better with Slick Trick Razors. I did some testing this weekend with Slick Trick 100g Mag and 100g Razors from 20-80 yards. (Razor won with % hit in vital area) Remember that human error is a factor, I did shoot over 200 arrow.

Rockyhud
05-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Another brand worth considering is Bi-Delta. I'm using the 2.5" Sharkstooth for all my arrows and have been very impressed. They weigh less than 2" Blazers, are .5" tall (like Blazers) and have a very small cross-section so they don't catch much wind (benefit is less wind drift) and perform as well or better (accuracy and grouping) than Blazer or Fusion vanes in my testing. When installed with helical pitch they act like 2 sets of small vanes, with the front set offset from the back set a small amount. They're also quite tough and stick on well - I've yet to have one come off even on pass-through shots on targets and hay bales.

wscywabbit
05-24-2012, 09:54 AM
those do look pretty cool Rocky, thanks for the info and review!

dzsmith
05-28-2012, 10:27 PM
i bouught a aae waterloo little chopper and used the wing feathers from the last turkey i harvested to die cut my own 3 inch shield back feathers. they fly well and are naturally barred . ill be sure to post pics of the whole process its quiet interesting

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-28-2012, 10:33 PM
i bouught a aae waterloo little chopper and used the wing feathers from the last turkey i harvested to die cut my own 3 inch shield back feathers. they fly well and are naturally barred . ill be sure to post pics of the whole process its quiet interesting

Sounds good dz, Like to see some pics of the feathers.

Hutch:cool:

Double S
05-28-2012, 11:21 PM
I'll always use fobs for hunting but I sure like these 4 inch AAE Elite Plastifletch vanes. I tried more offset yesterday making sure it will still stay on the shaft. I will be going Helical next. I'm gonna buy some 5 inch for my indoor arrows.

Excuse the excess glue. :o

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/Northwest75/Starrlfight%20Fobs/Arrow%20Fletching/AAEElitePlastifletch3.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/Northwest75/Starrlfight%20Fobs/Arrow%20Fletching/AAEElitePlastifletch2.jpg

Arrow Splitter
05-29-2012, 09:46 AM
I'll always use fobs for hunting but I sure like these 4 inch AAE Elite Plastifletch vanes. I tried more offset yesterday making sure it will still stay on the shaft. I will be going Helical next. I'm gonna buy some 5 inch for my indoor arrows.

Excuse the excess glue. :o

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/Northwest75/Starrlfight%20Fobs/Arrow%20Fletching/AAEElitePlastifletch3.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/Northwest75/Starrlfight%20Fobs/Arrow%20Fletching/AAEElitePlastifletch2.jpg
Nice.

At least you know they aren't coming off.:p

Speedykills
06-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Well i fletched 6 arrows with 4" duravanes with 3% helical,what a difference,got back the accuracy i was missing.Cant remember why i swiched oh well what ever works.

ftshooter
06-04-2012, 05:57 PM
I have been shooting blazers ..But,I am looking at some 3 inch fusion vanes myself ..I shot magnus buzz cuts and and have done pretty good with blazers .However, I think ,they push to far up in my wisker biscut .Too tight going though ...the 3 inch fusion vanes set lower and are stiff like a blazer ..Plan on right off set with them...