PDA

View Full Version : late season kansas turkey

dzsmith
05-21-2012, 10:09 PM
my first and probably last rio grande turkey harvested at 0715 am with a remington 870 express magnum with remington 3inch nitro turkey shells at 35 yards. I harvested this bird in north central kansas on leased farm land by rader lodge( I DO NOT RECOMMEND RADER LODGE, IT WAS A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE AND I GOT VERY LUCK TO GET THIS BIRD, SO IF YOU SEE THEIR ADD IN BOWHUNTING WORLD MAG, READ WITH CAUTION BECAUSE THEY ARE SHISTEY.) I would have loved to taken this bird with my bow, but my bow is currently out of commision because martin c/s is giving me the run around about my strings being torn up by my previous trg. 8 inch beard, 1 inch spurs, 21lbs. not bad for a two year old rio grande tom.65436544

Lung Buster
05-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Nice bird! Congrats. It is ashame your outfitter wasnt so good to you better luck in the future!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Have to agree nice looking bird congrats!!!

Hutch:cool:

Double S
05-22-2012, 03:12 PM
Congrats on the Bird!.

Ehunter
05-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Congrats! I still haven't gotten a bird yet this year. Handicapped myself a little though, been taking my girlfriend with me, and she's carrying a shotgun and I'm taking the bow. Her first year hunting, and she's finding out how good of eyesight birds have. lol Next time, you might try Southeast Kansas. We have got a ton of birds down here, mostly easterns, and alot of outfitters, as well as walk-in public land. Some VERY good hunting on the public lands.

dzsmith
05-22-2012, 11:08 PM
Congrats! I still haven't gotten a bird yet this year. Handicapped myself a little though, been taking my girlfriend with me, and she's carrying a shotgun and I'm taking the bow. Her first year hunting, and she's finding out how good of eyesight birds have. lol Next time, you might try Southeast Kansas. We have got a ton of birds down here, mostly easterns, and alot of outfitters, as well as walk-in public land. Some VERY good hunting on the public lands.

funny you mention that my dads old friend chris menard lives down there in southeast ka and he invited me down for a deer hunt with my bow this coming deer season. north kansas had a good population but i guess its my fault for going up so late in the season. the birds were absolutley scared to death, if they saw you at 400 yards on a hill they would take off running. after three days and realizing that they would literally run from calling and run from a decoy i sat near where they were roosting and got luck enough for them to pass me when they came off their roost. i just needed a rio for part of my grand slam thats it, ill probably never turkey hunt in kansas again unless my dads friend invites me