PDA

View Full Version : Tick Help

bob cooly
05-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Just got back from setting up some trail cameras and when we got back to the truck we a covered with ticks. We had sprayed down before going out and none had dug in. Stripped down and checked each other out and again when we got home. Found a few that were off the areas we had sprayed and got rid of them. I am trying to hunt some river bottom land, can't hump the hills anymore. What, how do you folks deal with them during you scouting trips? There are ticks throughout the deer season here, but I've never seen what I did today. The Spray we used was something called (EcoSmart). I,ve got to go back and get those camers in a week or 2, guess I'll hose down with this stuff and take a garbage bag and some Black Flag to spray my clothes down after I get out of them to come home. My Jeep is going to get bug boomed and then I'll vacum it out real good. I think I hate these things.

Lung Buster
05-31-2012, 05:20 PM
I dont know about the eco smart but i use the repel with permanone and it works great but you can only put it on your clothes.

bob cooly
05-31-2012, 05:28 PM
Thanks Lung Buster. Where did you find it? We will pull those camers and probably not set them in there again this summer. Although there's a ton of really good trees to hang a stand, straight trunked to about 20' with clean trunks to boot, be perfect to put a climber on.

SJunior
05-31-2012, 06:49 PM
Repel is the way to go, Walmart carries it.

Thermodude
05-31-2012, 06:58 PM
I dont know about the eco smart but i use the repel with permanone and it works great but you can only put it on your clothes.

X2 on this! Ticks are a way of life here in the valley..........I pull a tank sprayer over my woods trails all summer long to kill them.........spray my lawn also. The larva in late summer is the worst...........around here they call them turkey ticks, but truth is they dont have anything to do with the turkeys. They get on ah man by the 100s, ah few years ago my wife had to go to the hospital with over 200 bites. All I can say is...........(DEET) !!!!

bfisher
05-31-2012, 08:30 PM
I wish I knew how to post links, but I don't. Anyway, over on AT there's a thread about making tick repellent out of one of the Ortho products. "Make your own tick repellent, gallons on the dollar". Check it out. Use the search function.

Ehunter
05-31-2012, 08:33 PM
I just tried some Sawyer Permethrin repellent this year. Usually try to use Muskol 100% DEET, but couldn't find any. Hunt in the woods, and along creeks alot for turkeys. Bug infested is an understatement. The Sawyer is a clothing treatment, not for skin, but it worked INCREDIBLY well. Kept the ticks, chiggers, and mosquitos completely away, even most of those little pecker gnats. $9.95 for one can, and it'll treat two sets of clothing. Even worked well on mesh headnets. It last 6 weeks, or through 6 wash cycles. This is now my go-to bug repellent.

Ehunter
05-31-2012, 08:41 PM
Just another note, if you do gets ticks dug in or covered in seed ticks, as long as it isn't in a "sensitive" area, I use Adams Flea and Tick spray for dogs. Just dab a lilttle on a Q-tip, and touch the tick. Dead in about two minutes, then you can pull it off. Also, when ticks dig in, they screw themselves in clockwise. You can actually unscrew a tick by turning it counterclockwise and pulling lightly. Weird, but it works.

bob cooly
05-31-2012, 10:05 PM
Ok so if you hunting with the tick spray on do you just over spray with your scent killer. This EcoSmart smells alitte going on by drys quickly and is not too bad after it drys. Living and hunting in the High Desert Mountains they have never really been a problem to me, man you guys living in the green belt must have to deal with this stuff all the time til it freezes. Problem here is it seldom freezes until long after deer season closes.

Spiker
05-31-2012, 11:53 PM
Tick and Flea dog collars. Put them around your ankles and wrists.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-01-2012, 02:29 AM
Then Bark like a Dog!

Hutch:cool:

dugout
06-01-2012, 06:30 AM
Then Bark like a Dog! Hutch:cool:It don't sound right but it is! :cool:
I got the tip from an avid trout fisherman and Veterinarian. He said "one around each wrist and each ankle".
It's simple, effective, put them on and take them off, no clothing treatments, great stuff.

Test it to make sure about allergic reactions, obviously.

Oh, if you have an erection for longer than four hours, see your doctor.

Money Man
06-01-2012, 07:28 AM
I just tried some Sawyer Permethrin repellent this year. Usually try to use Muskol 100% DEET, but couldn't find any. Hunt in the woods, and along creeks alot for turkeys. Bug infested is an understatement. The Sawyer is a clothing treatment, not for skin, but it worked INCREDIBLY well. Kept the ticks, chiggers, and mosquitos completely away, even most of those little pecker gnats. $9.95 for one can, and it'll treat two sets of clothing. Even worked well on mesh headnets. It last 6 weeks, or through 6 wash cycles. This is now my go-to bug repellent.

I use this stuff too. I hunt in an area where ticks were all over. I used to feel them climbing on my neck (only exposed area during deer season), but since going to the Sawyer spray, I have not had that problem. Great stuff. I spray everything with it. I think I picked it up at Dick's or Walmart.

Lung Buster
06-01-2012, 04:11 PM

Here is a can of sawyer this is also odorless!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Thanks Bob C, great thread great learning, but now I got the paranoia. I was out side fixing an old lawn tractor. Just put the finishing touches on it and looked down and I have a tick on my knee. Whats up with that? Never really worried about ticks before. Be still a good thread.

bob cooly
06-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Well we hosed down and taped up to retrieve the camera's we had set up and only had pictures of one doe. Wondering if the deer avoid really infested areas as well. Moved to a more friendly area for awhile. Thanks for the tips as we did not appear to have any ticks stuck in us when we checked back at the truck. Two 60+ year old white guys down to their scivies looking each other over, what a sight!

dugout
06-07-2012, 09:23 PM
OH!!! TMI, TMI, TMI!!!!!!!
We have to live with that visual imprint!!! :eek:

Spiker
06-08-2012, 01:29 AM

bfisher
06-08-2012, 06:18 AM

I tried that. It made me sit down on my haunches and scratch my neck with my foot. Then I got a cramp because my legs have a hard time bending that far. To top it off I got this yearn to eat ALPO for dinner.

dugout
06-08-2012, 08:06 AM
I use the flea collars, wrists and ankles, but yes, it is difficult to resist licking my private parts. At least I have never had the urge to sniff the south end of a north bound hunting buddy. :eek::cool:

Spiker
06-08-2012, 12:14 PM
And whats wrong with ALPO.???

bigredhunter00
06-08-2012, 05:15 PM
See my dr, i dont think so, gotta pull out that handy dandy little black book lmao. JK dont need that help aid yet only 30 and still going strong.
It don't sound right but it is! :cool:
I got the tip from an avid trout fisherman and Veterinarian. He said "one around each wrist and each ankle".
It's simple, effective, put them on and take them off, no clothing treatments, great stuff.

Test it to make sure about allergic reactions, obviously.

Oh, if you have an erection for longer than four hours, see your doctor.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Here is a pic of ticks!!!

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/534789_455091231176722_2146503586_n.jpg

Bent Arrow
07-01-2012, 10:41 AM
This is my first post on this forum so I'd like to say howdy first off. On a serious note always pull the tick back with the body straight away from the head. NEVER light it's rear end hoping it will let go. The tick regurgitates all it's fluid into the host when you do this. You have a better chance of getting Rocky Mountain fever or Lymes when it does this. Hope it helps.:)

bfisher
07-01-2012, 03:25 PM
This is my first post on this forum so I'd like to say howdy first off. On a serious note always pull the tick back with the body straight away from the head. NEVER light it's rear end hoping it will let go. The tick regurgitates all it's fluid into the host when you do this. You have a better chance of getting Rocky Mountain fever or Lymes when it does this. Hope it helps.:)

First post, and a good one, too. Didn't know that and it's very valuable information. You have my permission to keep on posting. LOL.

Bent Arrow
07-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Glad to be of service. Knowledge is power and if it keeps me out of a sick bed and in a tree stand, well that's pretty powerful. :rolleyes:

Largo
07-17-2012, 09:59 PM
I also use sawyers spray, I get it from a local guy that buys it in cases. You can watch the ticks run from you.

I keep my hunting clothes in a separte place so I know they are covered and ready for use.
Just remember to spray in an open area, made all of my friend sick first year we used it.

Dont forget the thermalcell for the tree stand.

TheBow_Hunter
07-18-2012, 05:51 AM
Hi All

I am a South African Bow Hunter, and spend most of my time in the African Bushveld.

Dont know what ticks you guys have there, but here, our ticks are ON STEROIDS !

Tick bite fever is pretty common ( and certainly not a walk in the park ) so we take as many precautions as possible in order to avoid this bug.

The BEST ( of the best ! ) remedy in Africa, is a product ( aerosol ) called Bayticol. Hardly any smell, designed to spray on cammos etc, non toxic to humans, but it WILL kill ticks on contact. Stuff is made by Bayer Pharmaceuticals in SA, would presume theye are in the States as well ?? The poison impregnates your clothes and is effective for up to 3 x washes.

Never leave home without it, and since using it, havent seen a tick on my gillie / cammos for ages.

Hope it helps guys

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-18-2012, 07:09 AM
Hi All

I am a South African Bow Hunter, and spend most of my time in the African Bushveld.

Dont know what ticks you guys have there, but here, our ticks are ON STEROIDS !

Tick bite fever is pretty common ( and certainly not a walk in the park ) so we take as many precautions as possible in order to avoid this bug.

The BEST ( of the best ! ) remedy in Africa, is a product ( aerosol ) called Bayticol. Hardly any smell, designed to spray on cammos etc, non toxic to humans, but it WILL kill ticks on contact. Stuff is made by Bayer Pharmaceuticals in SA, would presume theye are in the States as well ?? The poison impregnates your clothes and is effective for up to 3 x washes.

Never leave home without it, and since using it, havent seen a tick on my gillie / cammos for ages.

Hope it helps guysA Big welcome to the forum. Great info, thanks for sharing. Since those little buggers are nasty and I don't want them around. I will have to look into this stuff.

dzsmith
07-18-2012, 10:06 AM
X2 on this! Ticks are a way of life here in the valley..........I pull a tank sprayer over my woods trails all summer long to kill them.........spray my lawn also. The larva in late summer is the worst...........around here they call them turkey ticks, but truth is they dont have anything to do with the turkeys. They get on ah man by the 100s, ah few years ago my wife had to go to the hospital with over 200 bites. All I can say is...........(DEET) !!!!

deet is the key and its hard to find in pure forms try sawyers premium maxi deet, i bought it for mosquitoes before the thermocell came out and its the second best thing in my opinion 98.11 percent deet thats pretty freaking pure, i bought it at a military surplus store i dont know where else to get it besides online, here ill post a pic for you

dzsmith
07-18-2012, 10:13 AM

Bent Arrow
07-19-2012, 04:09 PM
How much odor does the Max Deet have?

dzsmith
07-20-2012, 08:17 PM
says low odor on the bottle right on the picture, and it is

Bent Arrow
07-21-2012, 09:42 AM
says low odor on the bottle right on the picture, and it is

Sorry about that man! lol Didn't even see that. Must be getting old, mind starting to wander and all that....What were we talking about again?:confused:

dzsmith
07-24-2012, 04:13 AM
Sorry about that man! lol Didn't even see that. Must be getting old, mind starting to wander and all that....What were we talking about again?:confused:

I wasn't making fun man, you can hardly see the letters ha

Bent Arrow
07-26-2012, 05:16 PM
No offense taken man, it just proves that when my wife says I don't pay attention she's right. But if you tell her I said she was right about something............:rolleyes: