PDA

View Full Version : got bad news

polaris754
06-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Well kinna thought something was happening last year looks like i might be all done, shoulders been a real problem lately , going to doc on Friday , dosent sound good, might be selling bow, didnt think it would end like this , bow huntin been the best part of the season, hope doc has good news ,any hoot looks like i will be out of it fer awhile, what ever the outcome is ,good or bad fer ever ,I hate doctors!!!!

Speedykills
06-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Not sure what to tell ya but i hope it's all good news.You know you might have to go down to 45# or get a martin bow that goes that low,anyway good luck on outcome.

Double S
06-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Stay positive!. I will send a prayer your way for a safe and healthy recovery.

Ehunter
06-05-2012, 04:43 AM
I hope the best for you Polaris. Don't give up on the shooting though. Plenty of guys have gone through a shoulder surgery and kept shooting. Hope everything works out for you!

Lung Buster
06-05-2012, 08:21 AM
Sorry to hear the news! I hope things turn around for you! Bow hunting is a huge part of my life! I will say a prayer for you!

bfisher
06-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Whatever the outcome is try to kep a positive attitude. If need be there are always other hobbies. Maybe you could take up something that doesn't bother the shoulders, like scuba diving. It's wonderful what the feeling of being wightless can do for you.

I've gone through problems with my shoulders so know where you are coming from. I only shoot about 44# now, but still manage. Pick an arrow that is lighter and still get deent speeds of around 270 fps at 27" draw. I quit hunting and thought I'd really miss it, but truth is I've just channeled my desires in other directions. I do a lot of coaching youngsters and setting up and coaching new shooters. I call it "giving something back". Hope you can do the same.

Tosi
06-05-2012, 09:02 AM
I have two words.... Cross Bow....

bob cooly
06-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Wait til your treatment is complete before you give up. If Archery is a big part of your life there's all kinds of things you can do to stay in. I am 62 with a 72 year old body. Listen to Ted Nugents interview at Martins booth at the ATA show. Most of us shoot more bow than we need to. 35-50 range will kill deer just as dead as the 80lb flame thrower. If you right arms done think about shooting left handed. If you must crossbow. My lungs are shot from an industrial accident but I'v found some low elevation flat ground to hunt. Get a 2nd opinion on your shoulder from a sports medicine surgeon. Good article in Bowhunter magazine titled "Old, Grey, and Deadly", July issue. Good luck with the shoulder.

bowgramp59
06-05-2012, 01:40 PM
i've had both shoulders completely replaced, back to shooting 60#s. get your shoulder fixed and don't skimp on the therapy. i still do the therapy about 2-3 times a week with 3 & 5 lb. wts. and a total gem. when i started back to shooting i got a 35/50 lb. martin moab, shot it at 35 for a while and cranked it 1 round and shot that for a while & so on until it was peaked out. then i went to my alien x at 45 and worked up to 60 #s. 55 feels better. what ever you do don't over do it and have patience. good luck :)

polaris754
06-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Thanks for all the positive reply s, I hope it werks out , keep u updated on what shape i will be in , THANKS AGAIN!!!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Sure hope it all works out for you polaris754.

Hutch:cool:

TEN RING
06-05-2012, 06:59 PM
I think you will be surprised if you do get cut I had it in the winter of 1998 and shoot the ibo world indoor in the spring of 1999

Rangerj
06-06-2012, 02:06 PM
I had rotator cuff surgery Feb of 2011. My doctor first told me the damage was so severe that he didn't know if he could repair it. And if so I could never shoot my bow or weight train anymore.After the surgery the pain was bad and the therapy was painful, but after 4 months of rehab therapy I started feeling better and the doctor told me I could start weight training very light.after a couple months he said I could try shooting my bow. I reduced the weight to 50lbs and before long I was back up to 70lbs.Was bow hunting in Sept.

I type all of this to let you know not to give up,I was very depressed to begin with but determination and great rehab worked for me.Hand in there.
WHEW,now I am through.

Skbengal
06-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Hang in there Polaris. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. You never know, this might turn out to be nothing more than a speed bump for you. Wishing you the best, Rick.

Arrow Splitter
06-06-2012, 05:03 PM
sure hope it all works out for you polaris754.

Hutch:cool:x2 :):)

A.S

deerchser
06-08-2012, 12:58 PM
I had shoulder surgery in September of 2009. My Labrium was torn from 9:00 to 3:00 across the top, I had bone spurs, Bercitus and a ton of scare tissue that was all repaired or removed. Post Op, I spent 7 weeks with my arm straped to my side and 5 months on the recovery train. After the surgery keep the ice going and stay with the Physical Therapy. PT was key for me. I am a lineman for a communications company and I to love to bow hunt. I let the therapist know what I was looking to continue to do and they gave me some stuff to do that would condition my shoulder accordingly. If your PT is not really working your shoulder like you think should be done, get a different one. Again, ICE and PT.
One other tip, sleep with a pillow under the side of your body that you have the surgery on so that you are at a 45 degree angle. This keeps the blood flow at bay and helps with the swelling.

Like the rest have said, keep the possitive attitude (it's hard when your on the couch and cant scratch your butt) and work hard on the PT. Good luck. Let us know who your doing.

polaris754
06-08-2012, 05:00 PM
k seen doc today ,said not a problem cut both arms off ,and i will be good to go !!!!! not to kwel with this cutting stuff,really now looks like the knifes the answer .didnt like that .guess this years out from what docs sayin , oh well , he says full recovery !!!! wish had better answer , cant pull bow , AND REALLY DONT WANT A CROSS BOW, gonna do it july 15`

bfisher
06-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Polaris, the bad news is that surgery seems to be a must. The good news is a full recovery is likely. It's not the end of the world, at least for now.

I was in s imilar situation about 5 years ago. The sort version is that I came down with a muscle ailment that gave me extreme pain in the left shoulder, my bowarm side. In a matter of a month I lost so much strength I couldn't lift a 5# bow. I went from shooting 55# regularly to not being able to roll over 40#. At the time I had a brand new ITB Scepter III. Long story short I ended up with a cervical laminectomy with fusion in the neck, but the muscle never came back fully.

I spent four months shooting a Genisis set at 15# and only 15 yards. I finally graduated to my 2007 Pantera (55#) turned down to 27#. I couldn't hunt that year and the next year I was at a bare 35# minimum. Being an ethical guy I scrubbed hunting that year (2008). 2009 rolled around and I was fianlly able to draw 47#, but controlled 42# much better. Guess what? The hunting fire had burned out. I thought I'd miss it terribly, but I didn't for some reason. Maybe it was just time after bowhunting only for some 35 years.

Yeah, I could have gotten a crossbow, too, and could get any Ten Point my heart desires at no cost. But that would seem like surrendering which isn't part of my vocabulary.

Today I can roll over about 50#, but the shoulder still bothers me so I fluctuate between 44# and 47#. I just shoot a very light arrow to compensate for any speed loss. It's surprising how fast these bows can shoot a 230 grain arrow. Still popping about 270 fps for 3D and never have trouble pulling arrows from those lousy McKenzie targets. Fortunately I've never had any bounce off either, LOL.

Sometimes life isn't fair, but we just have to evolve with it and move on. Where I used to spend a lot of time shooting I've had to cut down some, but spend a lot of time coaching people and helping youngsters get into and progress with the sport. I find this about as satisfying as shooting.

Whatever your outcome I wish you the best.