PDA

View Full Version : Broadhead test

Ehunter
06-05-2012, 04:52 AM
Well, I finally broke down and ordered some Swackers. Have had several people tell me they love them, so I thought I'd give them a try. Now, I've decided to take one of each broadhead I have, and do some penetration tests. Shuttle T-Locks, Slick Tricks, Rage, Wasp Bullets, Thunderhead, and Swacker. Going to put them all through gelatin, then hide and bone in front of gelatin. Figured to do a good test, might as well use a cow shoulder for the bone. Got plenty of them around here. Might take me a couple weeks to get everything done, but I'll post results when I get some.

Thermodude
06-05-2012, 07:35 AM
Well, I finally broke down and ordered some Swackers. Have had several people tell me they love them, so I thought I'd give them a try. Now, I've decided to take one of each broadhead I have, and do some penetration tests. Shuttle T-Locks, Slick Tricks, Rage, Wasp Bullets, Thunderhead, and Swacker. Going to put them all through gelatin, then hide and bone in front of gelatin. Figured to do a good test, might as well use a cow shoulder for the bone. Got plenty of them around here. Might take me a couple weeks to get everything done, but I'll post results when I get some.

Through a phat head in there for good measure!!

Lung Buster
06-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Sounds good i am interested in what you find!

Tosi
06-05-2012, 09:17 AM
CK, sounds good can't wait for you report. Did the same with Slick Trick Mag 100g, Razo Trick 100g, Phat Heads 100g and G5 Montec 100g. Short but to the point is that the Slick Trick Razor flew the best for me and the G5 hand best penatration. In saying that, I would only use the G5 Montec out to 40(-) yards, would use any of the other (3) heads from 20-80 yards. I want a cut on contact so will using the Slick Trick Razor 100g as the price is also right. Good Luck...

Ehunter
06-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Thermo, I would, but I'm done buying broadheads. lol The only reason I went ahead and got the swackers was you can get them on a special. 6 heads for $41 including shipping. Got three of the 1 3/4 cut, and three of the 2" cut. Going to use the 2" cut Swackers, 2 blade Rage, and all heads will be 100 grain. Probably throw in a Magnus Buzzcut as well. Just remembered I have a few. Gonna have to gather quite a few shoulders it looks like. lol

aldenjj
06-13-2012, 07:50 AM
Ehunter I can't believe it!... I just read your post. I did the same thing! I saw the special that Swhacker is running on their website, and I got the (2-for -1 ) deal myself. I stuck with the 1 3/4" cut. they do look pretty impressive. I am very interested to see how your test comes out. If it is half as good as the youtube videos.......we are both in real good shape!!! good luck. i will keep my eye out for the results.

Rockyhud
06-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Not to steal anyone's thunder or suggest you don't do your own testing if that's what you want to do, but there have been several BH tests on AT over the past year. One poster, who goes by whitey375, has done quite a few and as I recall has tested the BHs you're referring to and posted his results. You might want to check them out - it could save you some time and "wasted" BHs.

Ehunter
06-17-2012, 06:57 PM
alden, what shape were your Swhackers in when you got them? I'm not badmouthing Swhacker at all, and have been in contact with them about the heads I received, and they have done their best to take care of me and I appreciate that. That being said, when mine arrived, there were so dull they couldn't have cut butter. Burrs on the blades from being stamped out of sheet metal, both the cutting and trailing edges. It took 45 or so minutes, and a medium and fine stone to get them into shooting shape. They have assured me that they are looking into the problem, and will have it resolved promptly. I have to say this, they responded to my reply on their "satisfaction questionaire" within 24 hours, and have contacted me twice, offering to exchange the heads, or whatever I want to do. They really seem to be taking this seriously, and that's a good sign to me. They seem like a stand-up company, and we need more of those around.

That being said, I am still in the process of shoulder collecting, and plan on doing the testing this coming weekend. I'll post results afterwards. I'm also throwing in a Tru-Fire T1 broadhead, and their rep for this area wants to see how they compare.

aldenjj
06-18-2012, 08:19 AM
Ehunter; I haven't even taken mine out of the package yet. I guess I will have to check them tonight. I will get back to you on whether they are sharp or not. thanks for the heads up!!

aldenjj
06-19-2012, 06:48 AM
Ehunter: I checked my Swhackers last night. one was really sharp. The other I had already put the shrink band on, just to see how it went on, so I haven't taken it off to check. I did check all of the smaller outside blades, and they seemed ok. You may have just got a bad batch.
I am glad to hear that they are taking care of you. I have to be honest, they closer I look at these broadheads, the more I like them. The blades are thick, and seem well made. I like the design. I think they are going to work well. It looks to me that once the larger blade deploys, it has the support of the whole back of the blade, and the broadhead frame. I don't see them breaking very easily.
I can't wait to see how your test goes.....keep us posted!!! thanks!

Ehunter
06-24-2012, 05:00 PM
I did change a few things up, but believe it's still a valid test. All shot were from 20 yards. All heads are 100 gr. except where noted.
Bow: 65# Alien X
Arrow: Easton 2216 Lite @ 399.4 gr.
Target: Cow ribs (all within .15 thickness) in front of a Block target
Arrow speed calculated at 249 fps
KE calculated at 69 ft/lbs

Penetration Depth:
1. Shuttle T Locks
2. Magnus Buzzcut
3. Wasp Bullet
4. Thunderhead (85 gr.) (lost one blade)
5. ABC Sonic Pro (85 gr.)
6. Rage 2 Blade
7. Swhacker
8. Slick Trick Magnum (no penetration past blades)

Durability:

1. Magnus Buzzcut ( dulled blades, no visible damage)
2. Shuttle T Lock (dulled blades, slight nick in blade,)
3. Wasp Boss Bullet (dulled blades, edge bent over on one blade)
4. Thunderhead (lost one blade, others dulled)
5. ABC Sonic Pro (dulled blades, edges bent, tip folded over"
6. Rage 2 Blade (dulled blades, badly bent blades"
7. Slick Trick Magnum (dulled blades, edges bent over, blades bent in towards each other losing the "X" pattern)
8. Swhacker (totally demolished, ferrule badly bent, blades bent, only one blade deployed due to damage)

Overall Performance:
1. Shuttle T Locks
2. Magnus Buzzcut (very close to #1)
3. Wasp Boss Bullet
4. Thunderhead
5. ABC Sonic Pro
6. Rage 2 Blade
7. Swhacker
8. Slick Trick Magnum

The top 3 heads are all basically a toss up on which performed best. Slightly better penetration was the deciding factor in the overall. Had the Thunderhead not lost a blade, it would have been in the same running. The big suprises to me were failure of the Slick Trick Magnums (I have taken several deer with them and like them), the lack of damage to even the bleeder blades on the Magnus Buzzcut, and the total failure of the Swhacker.
Pics are in the next post. Feel free to ask me anything about the test.

Ehunter
06-24-2012, 05:40 PM

Ehunter
06-24-2012, 05:48 PM

As you can clearly see, the Swhacker was destroyed. The Slick Trick Magnum, Rage, And ABC Sonic Pro were all pretty badly damaged. While the Thunderhead lost one blade, the others were still relatively sharp, and locked in place. The Wasp, Magnus, and T Lock all sustained minor damage, and still retained a decent or better edge on the blades. If not for the glancing blow on the T Lock, it's blades could have been resharpened, and the head reused. The Magnus simply needed resharpened. It was the most durable, but had less penetration than the Shuttle T Lock. The Wasp and Thunderhead needed one blade replaced, and the others sharpened. All other heads needed all the blades replaced, or the head thrown away. Hope this helps someone in deciding what heads to use. If nothing else, it was kinda fun (but expensive) to do. lol

Skbengal
06-24-2012, 07:28 PM
Ehunter, wow, those are some suprising results! Especially the mechanicals. So can we assume you've made your choice of broadhead for your upcoming moose hunt?

Ehunter
06-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Sk, it'll be a toss up between the Shuttle T Locks and the Magnus for sure. Just depends on which one flies best with the bow I decide to take. Been a big fan of the T Locks since I started shooting them a few years ago. Watched on old g/f make a quartering to shot on a buck at 23 yards. Complete pass through with a 40 pound draw weight. Not a huge buck, but a good 160 pound'er. That was impressive enough for me. lol As far as the Magnus, I was very impressed that the tip didn't try to curl or deform at all on impact. I like the way they have it shaped into more of a chisel than a straight edge. That has to add alot of strength. I think either head will be as effective on anything a person would hunt.

Spiker
06-24-2012, 11:43 PM
Your test dont suprise me but then - I've been shooting Magnus since about '92.
I am curious tho - did the Buzzcut stop when the bleeder blades were stuck in the bone?

Ehunter
06-25-2012, 04:46 AM
The buzzcut literally snapped the rib in half, and just kept going. It had a good 12-13 inches of penetration into the Block target after destroying the rib. Honestly, the head is still as sharp as some I've seen in people's quivers. Sharper than some of the other heads came from the factory.

Spiker
06-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Thanks.
I usually use the 100gn 2-blades for deer and elk and the 4-blades for turkey and antelope.
May try the 4-blade for deer this year.
They are tough tho. I've shot them into a bunch of different things and the only one I've really broken was shot at a good shovel from about
5yds...

Ehunter
06-25-2012, 04:53 PM
To make Spiker smile, I did another quick test this afternoon. It's 103 outside, so it was a quick test. lol Shot the top 2 heads through matching (same cow) shoulder bones roughly 1/2 inch thick. The Shuttle T lock had 13 inches of penetration, one small flat spot on one blade, blades were slightly dulled, and the tip was slightly out of shape, but repairable. The Magnus had no damage to the main blades, other than a slight dulling, but the bleeder blades had the cutting edges rolled over and needed replaced. It had 12 1/4 inches of penetration. Penetration was into a Block target behind the shoulder bones for both shots. Both heads are 1 1/8th inch cut. These two heads have impressed the hell out of me.

Spiker
06-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Thats why I shoot the 2-blades. The bleeder blades slow 'em down when they hit something substantial.
I've shot them a bunch thru 55 gallon steel barrels and the fletching is what stops the arrow.
Now on a live critter - that probably isn't so. They give a bit more than steel...
A buzzcut on a bareshaft blows thru a steel drum .

Speedykills
06-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Magnus stingers are good BH,i like 4 blade as few deer i shot with 2 blade left no blood trails,but did the job.........

aldenjj
06-26-2012, 08:38 AM
Ehunter: those results look pretty bad for the Swhacker. Could you elaborate a little on exactly what you shot the broad heads into. Was it just cow ribs? or an actual shoulder.
Also how far did the mechanicals penetrate. Thanks!
I hate to consider using a broadhead, if it isn't going to work on a Deer!!, so any extra info would be helpful.

Ehunter
06-26-2012, 06:53 PM
alden,
All of the broadheads were shot into cow ribs approximately 5/8ths of an inch thick. Right behind the rib was a Block target. I'm not going to pretend that every shot was perfectly square with the rib and arrow contact. I doubt like hell anyone is a good enough hunter to position a deer perfectly square on broadside before shooting. lol I did try to keep it as straight of a shot as I could though. Basically your typical broadside hunting shot. The Swhacker did penetrate about 7-8 inches into the Block target after breaking the rib. However, the "cutter blades" were bent so badly on both sides, I don't think the main blades ever got the chance to open. I can guarantee one side didn't. The cutter blade actually bent around the ferrule on that side. The entire ferrule bent so badly that I find it hard to believe the other blade opened either. Would it have killed a deer? Yes. Would I ever recommend anyone to shoot it, No. While it would have killed a deer, it would have basically been like shooting a deer with a field point. Dead deer eventually, but what a nightmare of a tracking job.
The Shuttle T Lock and Magnus are the only two I shot through the shoulder bones, as they held up to the rib bones in very good shape. Both had slightly damaged and dulled blades , but both would have taken down an animal faster after going through ribs and shoulder, than the Swhacker after hitting just ribs. Even though I am kinda fanatical about having sharp blades, I can guarantee that both the T Lock, and the Buzzcut would take down a deer or elk after the test without being resharpened. That's what impressed me so much. Both also fly VERY well with a properly tuned bow. Both fly pretty darn well out of a moderatley tuned bow.
The Rage had about the same penetration as the Swhacker, but it was fully deployed inside the target. The blades were badly dulled, and bent beyond repair, but it would have resulted in a dead deer and a reasonable tracking job.
Most deer are about 14 inches thick broadside, so the mechanicals should have penetrated enough to get both lungs. The top 5 fixed blades should have gotten pass throughs, or at least a guaranteed double lung. The Slick Trick (one of my favorites) was a true let down. I'd have never guessed it would have gotten stopped by the rib bone like it did. I have shot 2 big bucks with the ST's, and gotten complete pass throughs in the chest with both shots.
The big thing to remember is, cow ribs are about the same thickness as a deer shoulder. Deer ribs are roughly 1/2 as thick as a cow rib. That being said, it's most likely that ALL of the heads tested would have gotten a kill shot on a deer. I was doing the test to see what head to take on a moose hunt this Oct. Big cow parts just seemed to be the closest thing to moose parts I was going to find around here in Kansas. lol

aldenjj
06-27-2012, 07:30 AM
Ehunter: thanks for the reply. It really makes you think twice about all of the possitive videos out there for the Swhacker.
I am basically a Whitetail Hunter so I don't need a broadhead strong enough to Elk, or Moose hunt. I think considering all things, if the broadhead opens, and I get a pass through, even if it is destroyed...I will not be completely dissappointed. That being said I would have thought the swhacker was stronger than that.
I have 6 of the 1 3/4" broadheads, I am going to come up with a way to test them, to make sure that they will open, and cut..........or I will end up with another batch of Mechanicals that I can't use.
Thermodude........see you thought you were old fashioned, and stubborn.....you are looking like the smart one!

Thermodude
06-27-2012, 07:43 AM
Ehunter: thanks for the reply. It really makes you think twice about all of the possitive videos out there for the Swhacker.
I am basically a Whitetail Hunter so I don't need a broadhead strong enough to Elk, or Moose hunt. I think considering all things, if the broadhead opens, and I get a pass through, even if it is destroyed...I will not be completely dissappointed. That being said I would have thought the swhacker was stronger than that.
I have 6 of the 1 3/4" broadheads, I am going to come up with a way to test them, to make sure that they will open, and cut..........or I will end up with another batch of Mechanicals that I can't use.
Thermodude........see you thought you were old fashioned, and stubborn.....you are looking like the smart one!

With all do respect, every year at the ATA show a new batch of broadheads are introduced.........."and the wheel gets invented again"! Im going to stick with my claim that a quality fixed blade head works everytime, it has no other choice. Find one thats built well and flys as it should and you are pretty much set for life..............you shoot the head, head goes through deer, deer falls over..............end of story. Im sold on Phatheads, they fly great for me and they are the strongest head Ive used so far.

Spiker
06-27-2012, 10:57 AM
With all do respect, every year at the ATA show a new batch of broadheads are introduced.........."and the wheel gets invented again"! Im going to stick with my claim that a quality fixed blade head works everytime, it has no other choice. Find one thats built well and flys as it should and you are pretty much set for life..............you shoot the head, head goes through deer, deer falls over..............end of story. Im sold on Phatheads, they fly great for me and they are the strongest head Ive used so far.

Thats my thought too.!

I'm a huge fan of the Magnus Buzzcuts but if I did have to switch - Phathead

Ehunter
06-27-2012, 05:39 PM
I recently found some broadheads on fleabay. Made by Saunders Innovations. They are a 1 1/8 cut, fixed blade, cut on contact, 4 blade. All 4 blades are .40 Alot like the Phathead, but with longer bleeder blades. Thinking about trying them on one of the leftover ribs. I like the idea of not downsizing the blade thickness for the "bleeder blades". I was fairly impressed by the looks and design, and the price was right at $25 for 3 heads. I think they call them the "BloodShot". They also have a mechanical that looks pretty much like a copy of the "meatseeker" from Rocket.
What the hell, might as well go ahead and test it tonight. lol

Thermodude
06-27-2012, 06:20 PM
That sounds like ah plan, Im looking forward to seeing the results. One of the reasons Phatheads are my choice was from my hunt last Oct. The buck I took field dressed 180lbs so on hoof he was pretty heavy. He was quatering away at 37 yards, I caught him at the back rib which it broke, the arrow passed through breaking an offside rib then it went through the shoulder blade and stuck in the ground. Thats pretty awsome in my book........the blades were not hurt but the bleeders were dull, I replaced those and put the edge back on the main blades.........good to go!

Ehunter
06-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Well, just gave the BloodShot head a try. Rather than a rib, I just went for another shoulder shot. It surpassed ALL of the other heads in penetration getting a full 17 inches. Sadly, the main blade broke in half, and half of it was gone. The other half, as well as the bleeder blades, did hold together though. I truly believe that had it been as thick of a main blade as the Phathead, it would have remained intact completely. Not great marks for durability, but very impressive for penetration, and blade sharpness retention. What wasn't broken off was still very sharp. The tip also showed no signs of curling. I would have to rank this as the #4 head tested overall. The blades can be replaced, so the head isn't a total loss. Since the Phathead has twice as thick of a main blade, I would have to imagine it would place at the very top had it been one of the heads I had to test. Since I'm out about $75 in broadheads, I'm done testing. lol

aldenjj
06-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Guys: I did a quick test on one of my swackers. Ehunter got me thinking, so I wanted to do a preliminary test. It functioned actually better than I had thought, after seeing the results for Ehunters test.
I took some pictures and I am going to test the same head some more this week. After I do all of the tests I will post all of the results and pictures.
I think that it is most likely a pretty good mechanical, but nowheres as tough as Swhacker would have you believe. My guess so far..... is that it will work just fine on deer, but not on some of the bigger game.
When I get done testing the broadhead I will start a new post.
I am not trying to change anyones mind on this particular broadhead...but now I am really curious. I want to see how far I can push it without total failure like "E" had.
My first test was using layers of 1/8" Luan wrapped in an old sweat shirt, a layer of cardboard, then a layer of1/8" masonite board, followed by tight packed layers of cardboard, then Dow 3" foam board wrapped in a wool blanket. The first three layers were angled, and seperated by 2".
Next test will be something harder and tougher...not sure what yet...stilll thinking it through.