PDA

View Full Version : Exile Set up

Jd10ac
06-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Hi all, I'm a new member who picked up a 2011 Exile dirt cheap on ebay. I was wondering if anyone had any tuning tips or anything I should watch out for with the bow. So far I really dig the bow and don't have any regrets getting it over the Diamond Outlaw I had originally wanted.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Hi Jd10ac, welcome to the forum. First thing does your bow have the trg and the sos system? If so you would be better off calling Martin and having them replace it, for a cable slide and rod. The end result for the trg is damaged strings.

Hutch:cool:

Jd10ac
06-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Hello again Hutch, the bow came with the cable slide and rod but sadly wasn't drilled for the lower mount string stop.

Jd10ac
06-06-2012, 06:29 PM
I guess I should add that I plan on putting on a whisker biscuit and a tru glo sight. Im fairly new to archery so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Sadly some if not all came that way. But fortunately they make a front mount sts. You got yourself a nice bow though.

Jd10ac
06-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Thanks it does seem to be a nice little bow and feels great in my hand. I'm going crazy not being able to shoot it, hopefully my arrows, rest, and sight will be here next week. I am shocked to see how cheap some of the Martin bows go for on ebay. I have my eyes on a Rytera thats only at $150 and I haven't even shot this one yet.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
You might want to check into a Trophy Ridge Revolution rest its a great rest. Do a search on here and you will find a thread on it.

justin
Im gunna agree with huch. Maybe read up on tuning, and go from there

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-06-2012, 06:37 PM
If you have a whisker b coming they work well too!

Jd10ac
06-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Yea I already ordered the whisker just because I bought my wife a used bow that had one on it and kinda think its a nifty idea.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Check out the bow tuning section on here. There are many tuning tips on there. If you don't see what you are looking for then post .

Jd10ac
06-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Will do thanks.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Here is a good link for tuning. http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?18275-10-Yard-Tuning-Method-%28For-Sight-and-Rest-Alignment%29

Jd10ac
06-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Thanks Hutch Im going to keep lurking around just figured I would introduce myself.

droppixel
06-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Welcome to the forums. Got your hands on a really nice "starter" bow as some like to call it. Exile/Cheetahs are great bows you shouldn't be disappointed in it at all. Being a solo cam, I found they are easier to work with and get set up. Want to check for lean in your idler wheel, that will be adjusted by the twisting/untwisting the yoke. Not much else you'll need to do after you get your centershot in place and get it sighted in.

Jd10ac
06-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks Droppixel, I saw the thread where you won the Bengal so I have to ask is it half as awesome as it looks?

dzsmith
06-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Hi Jd10ac, welcome to the forum. First thing does your bow have the trg and the sos system? If so you would be better off calling Martin and having them replace it, for a cable slide and rod. The end result for the trg is damaged strings.

you better replace that crap now, because once you tear your strings up so much it will stretch them and you will lose elevation in your shot, get rid of the trg,

dzsmith
06-06-2012, 10:58 PM
6646ive had an 11 exile since it came out, mine is a killing machine killed a few gators with it, high dollar accesories though,
Hi all, I'm a new member who picked up a 2011 Exile dirt cheap on ebay. I was wondering if anyone had any tuning tips or anything I should watch out for with the bow. So far I really dig the bow and don't have any regrets getting it over the Diamond Outlaw I had originally wanted.

Speedykills
06-06-2012, 11:09 PM
^^^^^thats a nice setup.

Money Man
06-07-2012, 07:48 AM
Welcome to the forum and the addictive sport of archery. If you are looking to learn a lot, I would recommend checking out the Nuts & Bolts of Archery available on archerytalk.com Here is a link to the pdf file http://archeryhistory.com/archerytalk/The_Nuts&Bolts_of_Archery.pdf I have a copy of this saved on my computer as it is about 150 pages, but it makes a great reference to have.

droppixel
06-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Thanks Droppixel, I saw the thread where you won the Bengal so I have to ask is it half as awesome as it looks?

You be the judge ... http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?24318-2012-Bengal-Pro

Personally, best bow I have ever shot.

Jd10ac
06-07-2012, 03:37 PM
DZSmith, that is a nice setup. Money man thanks for the link. Droppixel, that bow is high on my list when I am ready/able to upgrade.

Jd10ac
06-07-2012, 03:52 PM
I have another question for you guys. What makes the Exile a beginner bow? I noticed the specs for it are similar to the other accutrack bows and it has similar features so what really sets it apart from the more expensive bows.

droppixel
06-07-2012, 04:07 PM
I have another question for you guys. What makes the Exile a beginner bow? I noticed the specs for it are similar to the other accutrack bows and it has similar features so what really sets it apart from the more expensive bows.

IMO it's just a solid first bow to have. They are easy to work on and perform great. Generally speaking they are less expensive than some of the other models.

Jd10ac
06-07-2012, 04:10 PM
The price was the only real difference that I noticed. Im very happy with what I paid, I think the people I got it from are in some way tied to Martin (K
MArcheryhut).

Arrow Splitter
06-07-2012, 07:40 PM
I think the people I got it from are in some way tied to Martin (K
MArcheryhut).That's correct. They are part of Martin.

A.S

aldenjj
06-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Don't be misled by somone calling the Exile a Starter Bow. Just because it didn't cost $400+ doesn't mean it is a starter bow. I have been bow shooting and hunting for almost 30 years. I have owned many bows over that time period, and shot even more. I have shot several of the "Almighty Matthews" bows, and I will tell exactly what was told to me by an 82 year old BOW EXPERT.......the price doesn't determine the quality or value of a bow, how it feels,shoots, performs and lasts determine the quality!
I also recently purchased an Exile, from Ebay. It was an excellent bow, at a great price. I have been shooting it for about 3 months. It is one of the best bows I have shot period. It is light weight, short ,easy to hold,easy to shoot, easy to tune,accurate,forgiving, and made from durable quality parts .....now if that is what you call a starter bow than I have lost my mind!..... I am not trying to diss anyone,:cool: I just think that it is a very well made bow at a great price!!!

droppixel
06-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Don't be misled by somone calling the Exile a Starter Bow. Just because it didn't cost $400+ doesn't mean it is a starter bow. I have been bow shooting and hunting for almost 30 years. I have owned many bows over that time period, and shot even more. I have shot several of the "Almighty Matthews" bows, and I will tell exactly what was told to me by an 82 year old BOW EXPERT.......the price doesn't determine the quality or value of a bow, how it feels,shoots, performs and lasts determine the quality!
I also recently purchased an Exile, from Ebay. It was an excellent bow, at a great price. I have been shooting it for about 3 months. It is one of the best bows I have shot period. It is light weight, short ,easy to hold,easy to shoot, easy to tune,accurate,forgiving, and made from durable quality parts .....now if that is what you call a starter bow than I have lost my mind!..... I am not trying to diss anyone,:cool: I just think that it is a very well made bow at a great price!!!

Starter may be the wrong word to describe it, but for someone that is just starting in archery/hunting - they are great first bows. I started off on an older Cheetah of my father's and my wife bought me a 2007 for xmas a few years ago. Great first bow for me to own because of what you say above in the quality and ease of use.

aldenjj
06-08-2012, 10:41 AM
My point was, simply, that over the years I have had numerous bows that cost 3 times what I paid for my Exile........but weren't half as good! I think that it can compete with most of the big boys. that is why I said it is much better than a first bow or starter. That being said, if it is a first bow for someone....it is going to be a great bow..... just as it is a great bow for anyone, at any point in there hunting life!!

bfisher
06-08-2012, 12:25 PM
I agree that the term "starter bow" is a misnomer here. A better term would be "entry level". It shares the same limbs, cams, string/cable, and such as all the other bows. It may have a little less machining in the riser and does not have the STS as standard equipment. I don't know if it has a hole machined to mount a rear mount STS, but a front mount can always be added if so desired. A cheaper alternative can always be a set of Cat Whiskers to cut down on noise and vibration for hunting and very cheaply. They do cost some speed, about 5 fps, but if speed is an issue then you don't buy a soft cammed bow in the first place.

Don't let anybody kid you. The Exile is a lot of bow for the money when compared with bows costing twice as much and will kill deer or any other quarry just as dead. People make a big deal out of things like the STS, but we hunted without them on compounds for many decades, and very effectively I might add.

Just enjoy what you have and happy hunting.

Jd10ac
06-08-2012, 05:13 PM
I have to agree with what everyone said it seems to be a superb little bow for the price. I'm going crazy not being able to shoot it, I emailed the place I ordered all my arrows and stuff from and it seems there was a delay with some of the stuff in my order. Hopefully my stuff will get here and I can take her out and tune her up.

dzsmith
06-10-2012, 09:48 PM
the only thing that makes it a starter bow is the price , and the price has to do with the fact that its single camed, no stock string stopper, its probably one of martins slower bows, and its small, light, and short for a newer shooter. spec wise all of martins bows are pretty much the same with the exception of riser design and the exile has kind of a plain riser and not as extreme of a limb angle like maybe the bengal or crossfire, my best friend shoots a bowtech assassin, and other than the speed difference which is actually very noticable after 30 yards, his bow doesnt have to many advantages over mine, is 4 ounces heavier, 2 inchs longer, no more accurate, less forgiving, twice the money. exile 300, assassin 600. one thing i do like about bowtech bows though is that they are dipped differently and they have like a bedliner like gritty coating which is very nice and durable. the 2011 martin coatings were quite bad in my opinion when i purchased mine in cabelas many brand new martins had scratches on the finish, and so did mine, and the finish will literally come off if you put tape on it and pull it off, but ive heard that the 2012 models have a better dip job so kudos to martin for correcting their mistakes as they always do.

Jd10ac
06-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Dzsmith, I noticed you are from J-ville it's nice to see another member in Florida.

dzsmith
06-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Dzsmith, I noticed you are from J-ville it's nice to see another member in Florida.

oh im not from florida, i recently left actually. i was stationed there for 4 years in the navy. i just got out the navy and have returned to my home of mississippi. i work offshore in the oilfield now. it is good to see someone from where i was at least. i had a nice time living there. if your ever in jacksonville there is a nice bow club called fort caroline archery hes also a taxidermist. hes doing a couple gator heads for me as i speak. i have to drive back there and pick them up some time

madman350
06-17-2012, 04:11 PM
oh im not from florida, i recently left actually. i was stationed there for 4 years in the navy. i just got out the navy and have returned to my home of mississippi. i work offshore in the oilfield now. it is good to see someone from where i was at least. i had a nice time living there. if your ever in jacksonville there is a nice bow club called fort caroline archery hes also a taxidermist. hes doing a couple gator heads for me as i speak. i have to drive back there and pick them up some time

dzsmith.......nice job ! unlimited shooting and safe backstop opportunities out there , or do they work you to hard ? please at least say they give you guys time to catch a fish out there 4 supper!

Jd10ac
06-17-2012, 08:06 PM
Dzsmith, first and foremost thanks for you service. Mississipi is nice went over there a few times since I grew up in Tennessee. Thanks for the heads up on the archery shop up there, because here in Daytona we dont have much except for a Dicks Sporting Goods.

dzsmith
06-18-2012, 10:32 PM
dzsmith.......nice job ! unlimited shooting and safe backstop opportunities out there , or do they work you to hard ? please at least say they give you guys time to catch a fish out there 4 supper!

well if they dont give me time to do it while im out there, then i get to on my 2 weeks off i work 14 and 14

dzsmith
06-18-2012, 10:34 PM
Dzsmith, first and foremost thanks for you service. Mississipi is nice went over there a few times since I grew up in Tennessee. Thanks for the heads up on the archery shop up there, because here in Daytona we dont have much except for a Dicks Sporting Goods. well while im at it jacksonville has a couple. North Florida Archery Club, Fort Caroline, Circle C, and there is one in south gerogia i dont know the name of. circle c is in Callahan and North Florida is out by Naval Air Station Jax. if you are ever out that way. they have a lot of weekend tournaments this time of year and they take turns going from one club to the next.

Jd10ac
06-21-2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks again DZSmith, I did find out that there is a nice archery range here in Daytona. Well, all my stuff finally came in and I got to shoot my Exile yesterday. I have to say that I like it but it is a little louder than my wifes bow. I don't have my peep sight on it yet but she seems to shoot pretty straight so far. I am thinking about picking up a front mount string stop and seeing if that quietens it down a little.

dzsmith
06-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Thanks again DZSmith, I did find out that there is a nice archery range here in Daytona. Well, all my stuff finally came in and I got to shoot my Exile yesterday. I have to say that I like it but it is a little louder than my wifes bow. I don't have my peep sight on it yet but she seems to shoot pretty straight so far. I am thinking about picking up a front mount string stop and seeing if that quietens it down a little.

i have the limbsaver front mount string stop, it works very well and you can still have a front stabilizer but its kind of tricky to get you wrist sling on there with the front mounted one. i made mine work though as you can see in the picture.

droppixel
06-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Would definitely suggest getting the front mount. Have one on my Cheetah (Exile from back when) - Makes a HUGE difference in my opinion.

Not very easy to see, but in the bottom of the pic you kinda have to snake the sling down and under or sandwich it with the rod for it to fit, but it works just fine after you get it the way you like it.

Jd10ac
06-23-2012, 06:24 AM
Droppixel nice looking rig you got there. I am leaning towards the front mount, but what im really thinking is just shoot it the way it is and save my money for one of those 2012 Silencers.