PDA

View Full Version : >>> String Stretch question ....

ftshooter
06-07-2012, 07:02 AM
I have a bow that droped 5-7 lbs from last season ,,,Twisted back up cables and string to get 5 lbs back ..Close to specs ,,My question is do you think this string will keep stretching ?? It is over two years old ...Thanks...

droppixel
06-07-2012, 09:33 AM
I have a bow that droped 5-7 lbs from last season ,,,Twisted back up cables and string to get 5 lbs back ..Close to specs ,,My question is do you think this string will keep stretching ?? It is over two years old ...Thanks...

Stock strings or customs? If they are stock strings, I would look into a set of customs. Will run you about $60-70 for a full set I believe. Hit up Hutch.

Tosi
06-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Stock strings or customs? If they are stock strings, I would look into a set of customs. Will run you about $60-70 for a full set I believe. Hit up Hutch.

Concur with droppixel, even my hammerheads did the same. Customs strings are pretty colors also.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-07-2012, 04:41 PM
More than likely it is not stretch if it is 2 years old. Its probably creep. Creep is when the fibers of the string start pulling apart. Stretch is when all the strands stretch out to the same length. Which if is 2 years old it has stretched to its max along time ago. Certain string materials do creep and break down quicker. Its probably not 452x or trophy if it is it was poorly built. With trophy it doesn't creep.

Hutch:cool:

daiwateampenn
06-07-2012, 07:45 PM
perhaps is time for you to look for a nice set of string and cable.
Do look for Hutch n Son. He makes fine string and cable.
I just got mine weeks ago, and i love it very much.

dugout
06-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Pm Hutch and treat your self, and your bow to a new set of strings. Creep is NOT good!

ftshooter
06-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Thanks, Guys ...I know Hucth ,, does good work I got a set from him not long ago for one of my other bows ..And I will get with you soon on this one to Hucth... Got to have this bow up and running ....

dzsmith
06-10-2012, 10:00 PM
im filling out the forms for a set of strings from the hutchmaster now, cant wait to get them

CarlosII
06-11-2012, 07:51 AM
off topic a little, but the stings on my new scepter v haven't budged. the peep is still right where i put it over 200 shots or more.

bfisher
06-11-2012, 01:15 PM
off topic a little, but the stings on my new scepter v haven't budged. the peep is still right where i put it over 200 shots or more.

Probably if after 200 shots or so they are still good they will be OK till they show signs of needing replaced. On my Nemisis I can boast of the same performance after more than 5000 shots although they are soon going to be replaced. The strings on my2010 "Z" are showing no signs of needing replaced or getting peep rotation and they have almost 10,000 shots on them. And just for everybodys' info they only get waxed about 3 times a year.

I presumably have a new 2012 Nemisis coming with the red riser and am going to order strings from Hutch for this. I can't handle the Fl green and black on a red bow. So I'll use them to replace the ones on my 2011 Nemisis.

Speedykills
06-11-2012, 02:13 PM

Almost same thing on my new firehawk,it's going on 2 months, stock string has stretched 1/8" and peep hasent rotated yet.But im getting ready for new string and cables want a little color in my bow.....

archerx7
06-11-2012, 03:46 PM
The following was copied directly from the BCY website concerning the difference between creep and stretch and how they can effect your bow.

Question: What is creep compared to stretch?
Answer: Creep is non-recoverable elongation, unlike stretch which is basically elasticity or recoverable elongation. Some elasticity is necessary. Creep is a problem. It can cause the bow to go out of tune and the peep to rotate. The draw weight can increase or decrease and the draw length can increase or decrease.

If your string set is 2 years old and you've had that much of a change in DW since last year, then its time to change out that set. It would take quite a bit of creep in the cable(s) to drop the DW 5-7#'s.

ftshooter
06-11-2012, 09:06 PM
yea, I was kind of shocked ,at the amount of lost draw wieght ...I can't remmeber for sure what it was set at ,However,I am thinking it was at 57lbs last year start of hunting season ..I had been shooting my old bow as I got new a new string and cable on it ..Then I got my 2010 Firecat out and pulled it back and thought WTH ..So, I checked it its about 51 lbs ...not good ...well, I guess I need a new set for that one ...