PDA

View Full Version : Sight Pin setting

daiwateampenn
06-07-2012, 08:00 PM
would like to ask bro and sis out there, how do you set your say 10 yards, or 15 yards sight pin?

For me, my nearest yardage on my top pin will sit at 25 yards. i cant go lower with that.
there is no more room for me to adjust the pin and the gang adjustment of the housing also to the max.
Any tips or advice to solve the problem. Anybody has this same problem?

If you happens to have a big buck walking by you say at 15 yards. Bro, how would you shoot it.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Hey bro, its sounds like your peep is to high. To check it and see if it is, you need to draw the bow back level with your eyes closed. Open your eyes when you are anchored. You should be able to see straight through your peep if you can't adjust it accordingly. Then re-sight your bow.

Hutch:cool:

Speedykills
06-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Hello,i use a single pin cobra slider sight,sighted in up to 60yds.I set it at 20yds when i hunt as there is almost no difference in the x at 20 yds and in.All my hunting spots are purposly set at 20yds and closer.
But i like to practise out to 60yds killing foam.

daiwateampenn
06-07-2012, 08:29 PM
the problem is i cant go lower for the peep. if i go lowering the peep, its not comfortable, very hard to shoot, and not consistent, coz i tried it before, the neck is tiring to c thru the lower peep. it not natural.

Bro Hutch, and yes, i did wat you mentioned. closed eye, draw naturally, and mark the point to place the peep, and i really end up this shooting distance.

I now have no choice to shot at 25 yards mark at least. used to shot at 20 yards mark, but the new string and cable is WOW. i have to step back for till 25yard market.

Or getting a big sight housing?

Bro SpeedKills, dont torture the foam so harsh.... :)

Arrow Splitter
06-07-2012, 08:31 PM
the problem is i cant go lower for the peep. if i go lowering the peep, its not comfortable, very hard to shoot, and not consistent, coz i tried it before, the neck is tiring to c thru the lower peep. it not natural.

Bro Hutch, and yes, i did wat you mentioned. closed eye, draw naturally, and mark the point to place the peep, and i really end up this shooting distance.

I now have no choice to shot at 25 yards mark at least. used to shot at 20 yards mark, but the new string and cable is WOW. i have to step back for till 25yard market.

Or getting a big sight housing?

Bro SpeedKills, dont torture the foam so harsh.... :)
What sight are you using?

A.S

daiwateampenn
06-07-2012, 08:39 PM
What sight are using?

A.S

Extreme Archery raptor 900. 4 pin sight 0.19.

i bought this sight to plan for hunting. Or bro u have suggestion on other type of sight?

Arrow Splitter
06-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Extreme Archery raptor 900. 4 pin sight 0.19.

i bought this sight to plan for hunting. Or bro u have suggestion on other type of sight?No, that's a very nice sight. I don't think that's the problem.

What poundage is the bow set for? Have you checked to make sure your nocking point is correct recently?

To answer your question about shooting an animal that is at 15 yards, I would just aim a little lower than normal.

daiwateampenn
06-07-2012, 09:07 PM
No, that's a very nice sight. I don't think that's the problem.

What poundage is the bow set for? Have you checked to make sure your nocking point is correct recently?

To answer your question about shooting an animal that is at 15 yards, I would just aim a little lower than normal.

poundage set at 52#. Draw Lenght at 27". nocking point just line up with the berger hole, just nice for my 4" vane to make the clearance.

I did trial and error yesterday shooting 10 yards and 15 yards, a did try to aim half of the sight housing in the peep and shoot with the top pin, and the repeat shot constantly, but it just kinda weird.

Bro Arrow Splitter, thanks for the input. but how do you make the reference point? or just shot little lower by instinct.

Speedykills
06-07-2012, 09:16 PM
poundage set at 52#. Draw Lenght at 27". nocking point just line up with the berger hole, just nice for my 4" vane to make the clearance.

I did trial and error yesterday shooting 10 yards and 15 yards, a did try to aim half of the sight housing in the peep and shoot with the top pin, and the repeat shot constantly, but it just kinda weird.

Bro Arrow Splitter, thanks for the input. but how do you make the reference point? or just shot little lower by instinct.

Just giving a little about how i like to do things:I will pick a sight out doesnt matter which one,but i like to make sure my peep covers just the out side of glow ring.Dont want the peep to be bigger to hard to line things up.
Then i will line one pin or as many as i have with the target and the peep remains around the glow ring at all times, instead of trying to center the peep around each pin.And i shoot with both eye's open which makes doing it this way alot easier.

daiwateampenn
06-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Just giving a little about how i like to do things:I will pick a sight out doesnt matter which one,but i like to make sure my peep covers just the out side of glow ring.Dont want the peep to be bigger to hard to line things up.
Then i will line one pin or as many as i have with the target and the peep remains around the glow ring at all times, instead of trying to center the peep around each pin.And i shoot with both eye's open which makes doing it this way alot easier.

im practicing the same method. Infact shooting with both eye's open will give a clearer picture of the target or animal. which i did the same when shooting shotgun.

perhaps i would need more practice to shot instinctively for the short range. :(

bfisher
06-08-2012, 06:06 AM
Nr sure I understand the problem. Is it that you can't shoot shorter distances because you can't move the pin up far enough? Or do you run out of adjustment for the longer distances? If it's the former and you can't move the peep down then maybe shortening the draw length of the bow a little will help. If touching your string to your nose this would allow you to raise your anchor and move the peep down a bit. It doesn't sound like you need much.

justin
06-08-2012, 06:38 AM
2x with what barry says. If your draw is too long, your peep will feel natural higher. I would shorten your draw moduals, or module, and add a twist to your string, and mov your peep down just a bit. Less than 1/4 inch should easily take care of the problem.

Arrow Splitter
06-08-2012, 08:06 AM
or just shot little lower by instinct.
Yes.

Nr sure I understand the problem. Is it that you can't shoot shorter distances because you can't move the pin up far enough? Or do you run out of adjustment for the longer distances? If it's the former and you can't move the peep down then maybe shortening the draw length of the bow a little will help. If touching your string to your nose this would allow you to raise your anchor and move the peep down a bit. It doesn't sound like you need much.He can't shoot less than 25 yards because the sight can't go any higher.

X3 To what Barry said.

A.S

bfisher
06-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Yes.
He can't shoot less than 25 yards because the sight can't go any higher.

X3 To what Barry said.

A.S

Then that being said I stand by my theory that he's shooting a short bow with an acute string angle and his peep needs to be moved down the string and possible adjustments to the bow's draw length as I previously suggested. If he can get 25 yards now then peep movement should not need to be more than about 1/4". Maybe it's just a matter of anchoring up a little tighter to do this. I mean, there's only about 3" difference between 20 and 25 yards. If he can get 20 yards on the sight there should not be any need to adjust for shorter distances. There's only about 1" difference between 10 and 20.

dugout
06-08-2012, 08:33 AM
can you post a picture of your sight on the bow? I'm having a hard time visualizing the issue.
I have run into the issue of running out of downward gang adjustment and had to raise the peep and lower my anchor point. POI was low and could not move the pins as a gang or individually enough down.
gang down and or peep up, POI moves up
gang up and or peep down, POI moves down

I have also had to scrap the entire set up as tune was good with a high nock point causing a lower POI way outside sight adjustment range unless changed my anchor to below my chin and peep way up.
This happened with an extremely unbalanced tiller, two full limb bolt turns, while playing with the different feels of different set ups.
it can get confusing without pictures.

Arrow Splitter
06-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Then that being said I stand by my theory that he's shooting a short bow with an acute string angle and his peep needs to be moved down the string and possible adjustments to the bow's draw length as I previously suggested. If he can get 25 yards now then peep movement should not need to be more than about 1/4". Maybe it's just a matter of anchoring up a little tighter to do this. I mean, there's only about 3" difference between 20 and 25 yards. If he can get 20 yards on the sight there should not be any need to adjust for shorter distances. There's only about 1" difference between 10 and 20.I definitely agree. A half-inch shorter DL adjustment and a slight peep adjustment would probably solve the problem.

Kstig
06-08-2012, 08:45 AM
- Check cam timing and tiller
- Rest height, nock height and peep height all go together. Lower the rest precisely a snitch and then lower the nock precisely a sliver and then lower the peep exactly a bit. Give or take a little.........

bigredhunter00
06-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Dont feel bad lol, i start at 20 yards then skip to 40 yards, no room for a 30 yard pin then it goes 50,60,70,80 on my sword sight. I have the sword twilight and when i bought the bow off at the guy put a 6th pin on itso instead of a 5 pin sight its now a 6 pin sight. As for shooting under 20 i hold my 20 pin about 2 inches below the target.

Spiker
06-08-2012, 12:07 PM
My hunting setups are at 25-35-45-55-65.
A shot at 20yds will only hit 1/2-3/4" high.
If I ever did get a shot closer than 20 I would just hold right tight on the heart.

daiwateampenn
06-09-2012, 08:05 AM
i had short draw length at 27. My string wouldnt touch my nose. Infact i shot 15yard - 20yard just off the top pin. The gap just like the first n 2nd pin gap. So, nt so bad.

Thanks all for the advice n comment.

Nt only me cant sight in for shorter range huh...

dugout
06-09-2012, 10:34 AM
i had short draw length at 27. My string wouldnt touch my nose. Infact i shot 15yard - 20yard just off the top pin. The gap just like the first n 2nd pin gap. So, nt so bad.
Thanks all for the advice n comment. Nt only me cant sight in for shorter range huh...No, you are not the only one. The most difficult shots, sometimes, are the two, three, and four yard shot from a tree stand. This can mess you up if it has not been practiced.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-09-2012, 11:18 AM
No, you are not the only one. The most difficult shots, sometimes, are the two, three, and four yard shot from a tree stand. This can mess you up if it has not been practiced.
How true. I have a 3d range 45 min from me. My son and I did very well till the last 3 targets. 5,4,3 yard shots. Point blank is a hard shot. Have to agree dugout those shots tend to stump the shooter.

daiwateampenn
06-10-2012, 02:42 AM
How true. I have a 3d range 45 min from me. My son and I did very well till the last 3 targets. 5,4,3 yard shots. Point blank is a hard shot. Have to agree dugout those shots tend to stump the shooter

in reality, big game can be as close as any range coz itd move ard.
have to practice more frequent shorter range for hunting instead.

dugout
06-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Just practise with a Hor. Line and record your holds for all the ranges. A little cheat sheet tape inside your to limb is valuable to record your holds. Your 3 yard "pin" may be the same as your 40 yard pin. I start at 3 yards and work out to 30 yards.
It can look like this with the first number yards, second number pin and third number POI:
3 3 -1"
5 1 0
10 1 +1
15 1 +1
20 1 0
22 1 -1
24 1 -5
26 2 +5
28 2 +3
29 2 +1
30 2 0
Something like that...
I'm back to one fixed pin at 20 yard zero. I find my mind is much more efficient with holds rather than multiple pins, at my ranges, as I always seem to be between pins and holding anyway. The last 30 deer, or so, were taken at an average of 16 yards, the shortest shot being two yards and the longest 24 yards. I hunt from 16' feet above ground level and distances are taken from the tree at ground level.

daiwateampenn
06-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Just practise with a Hor. Line and record your holds for all the ranges. A little cheat sheet tape inside your to limb is valuable to record your holds. Your 3 yard "pin" may be the same as your 40 yard pin. I start at 3 yards and work out to 30 yards.
It can look like this with the first number yards, second number pin and third number POI:
3 3 -1"
5 1 0
10 1 +1
15 1 +1
20 1 0
22 1 -1
24 1 -5
26 2 +5
28 2 +3
29 2 +1
30 2 0
Something like that...
I'm back to one fixed pin at 20 yard zero. I find my mind is much more efficient with holds rather than multiple pins, at my ranges, as I always seem to be between pins and holding anyway. The last 30 deer, or so, were taken at an average of 16 yards, the shortest shot being two yards and the longest 24 yards. I hunt from 16' feet above ground level and distances are taken from the tree at ground level.

Wow learned something new. So differ archer haf their own reference number right.? So all i need to do nw is trial n error on target n write down the number for further use. Thanks for tis. At least a good starting point for me.

Durandal
06-12-2012, 11:51 AM
I shoot fingers and sightless, might I recomend you give that a try (sightless I mean), those point blank shots will feel much more natural after a bit of practice. Not that I want to start a whole debate but this is a good example of people relying too much on gadgets IMO.

Frankly, having shot with a sight before, I found it rather easy (with practice of course) to have just one pin and adjust height of your aim for the necessary yardage + or-.

Cheers!