PDA

View Full Version : Limb bolt adjustment

Ehunter
06-15-2012, 07:26 PM
I know having the limb bolts down all the way raises the draw weight to max. Other than lightening the draw weight, are there any advantages, or disadvatages to turning a 70# bow down to say 65#? Is a bow quieter when the limb bolts are all the way in? Just bought a 70#'er, and thinking I'll be shooting it around 65#. Thought I might get a set of 65# limbs for it made if there's any advantage to it. Pics to come when the bow arrives. lol

Speedykills
06-15-2012, 08:55 PM
For me i like to shoot my bows as close to peak weight as possible,just seems like bow feels and shoots better that way.So what bow did you get a darton!

dugout
06-15-2012, 09:37 PM
I'm typically two turns off at 58 lbs. with a 60# bow. It's probably more about feel and everyone is different. My top bolt and bottom bolt are seldom the same so starting two turns off allows adjustment, plus or minus. Both of my bows are smooth and quiet, to me.

Ehunter
06-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Speedy, I'm the same way. I like them maxed out. And I stuck with Martin for the new to me bow. As well as they have treated me, I can't imagine going somewhere else.

bfisher
06-17-2012, 10:20 AM
I know having the limb bolts down all the way raises the draw weight to max. Other than lightening the draw weight, are there any advantages, or disadvantages to turning a 70# bow down to say 65#? Is a bow quieter when the limb bolts are all the way in? Just bought a 70#'er, and thinking I'll be shooting it around 65#. Thought I might get a set of 65# limbs for it made if there's any advantage to it. Pics to come when the bow arrives. lol

If you decide to shoot the bow with the limb bolts backed off a turn or two then so be it. It's not particularly true that bows shoot better with the limb bolts backed off. It's true that the bow's efficiency is higher, but it's like splitting hairs. Suppose, for instance, that a bow's efficiency is 82% with the bolts maxed. When dropping from say 70# to 65# the bow's efficiency will drop a percentage point or two, but it's not something you're going to be able to perceive or measure unless you have some very sophisticated equipment.

What is more important is whether you can handle the draw weight better and shoot the bow more accurately at 65#. That's one of the many reasons bows have limb bolts on them for. People get too hung up on numbers. Poundage (draw weight) is just a number and should be thought of as such----and then forgotten, being used simply as a reference for future repairs or other adjustments.

As we often say, don't over think it.

droppixel
06-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Just food for thought, the 60# limbs on my Bengal max at 64.9# - shoots like a dream! After drawing this, might never really have a huge urge to go to a 70# limb and then back it down a little personally. I can shoot the full 70-75# if I wanted, but finding that this middle range feels awesome.

Ehunter
06-18-2012, 05:18 AM
Drop, that's where I am also. I can handle 70# with no problems, but found I really like 65#. Just seems to be the perfect weight for me.

Ehunter
06-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Well, everything but the bow has shown up in the mail now. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Hoping it gets here by the weekend. If not, I'll have a rest, sight, and all accessories to just stare at. lol

wscywabbit
06-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Well, everything but the bow has shown up in the mail now. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Hoping it gets here by the weekend. If not, I'll have a rest, sight, and all accessories to just stare at. lol

Well Ehunter, the good news is that when the bow gets there, you'll already have everything you need to get it put together. I think it would be worse to have the bow there and be waiting on the accessories before you could really play with it!

Hopefully you don't have to wait long :)

Durandal
06-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Well Ehunter, the good news is that when the bow gets there, you'll already have everything you need to get it put together. I think it would be worse to have the bow there and be waiting on the accessories before you could really play with it!

Hopefully you don't have to wait long :)

One doesn't need the bells and whistles to play with a bow. Other then the rest of course. A little finger/instinctive shooting won't hurt. A great opportunity to work on your stance and get a feel for your new toy!

Cheers!

Ehunter
06-24-2012, 02:38 PM
Got the bow in yesterday. 2010 Warthog. Amazingly smooth draw, quiet, and a great shooter. I wasn't sure I'd like the longer ATA, as I have shot shorter bows for years. This thing is VERY stable and forgiving. Here's a few pics....670867096710

Speedykills
06-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Nice bow,this is the month of getting new bows.............

bfisher
06-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Sharp looking bow. Is that powder coat by any chance?

Ehunter
06-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Barry, it's really hard for me to tell. It has a duller finish than I'd think Martin's paint would have, but it's a pretty thin finish as well. I'd have to say it's a painted finish from the wear/rub marks it has. Probably going to dip it eventually in a camo finish. The impressive thing to me is, it draws alot smoother than the old '09 Firecat I had with the same cams. Feels like this is a 60# bow rather than a 70. Still need to tune, and do all the final adjustments for DL, etc., but it shoots like a dream. Getting 2 inch groups at 30 yards without having tuned it yet. I'm impressed with the bow!