PDA

View Full Version : Martin Moab

Picard
12-28-2007, 08:01 PM
Hey all,

I just purchased a Martin Moab but am waiting for it to ship to my house. I was wondering what your guy's opinions on the bow is. Has anybody shot one before or used one? This will be my first bow.

I shot a Cheetah at my local Cabela's and thought it was great. I also like the 15 lb range of draw weights since I can start low and move on up in weight as my muscles get stronger. Since I have heard so many good things about Martin bows, it seemed like the obvious choice. Did I make a right decision?

-Picard

selil
12-28-2007, 09:36 PM
We're all going to tell you the same thing... AWESOME... Little to no hand shock, pretty darn quiet, smooth draw (depending on the cams). More important to me and many others is when you get it and have it set up... Let us know how it is for you!

Picard
12-28-2007, 11:24 PM
I bought a Bowtech Hostage Rest so I hope that I picked a good one. What I really liked about the Moab is that it is about 1 lb lighter than the Bengal, which would have been my next choice. That's a huge difference in weight. I can't wait to finally get it. I'll make sure to post a review when I do. I can't find a review for that bow anywhere.

selil
12-29-2007, 12:04 AM
There is nothing like living with a bow for awhile rather than just shooting it a few times in the store to give you a good taste. The ArcheryTalk.com reviews section is back up and running and looking for new content so that might be a good place to put a full blow review. But, don't forget here too.

Picard
12-29-2007, 12:12 AM
Yeah, I understand that shooting a bow for a while would give you a good taste but I didn't really have that option at the store. The main thing, like I mentioned earlier, that sold the bow for me was the 15 lb draw range. I can shooting around a 55 lb or so pull but would like a 70 lb when I get strong enough to. Martin bows just give me that option. Also, right away, I loved the soft grips on Martin bows. Once I narrowed it down to a Martin, it just seemed logical to get one of the best hunting bows that they make, since it happened to fall right within my price range. I heard recommendations that I should start with a lower-end bow that would not be inexpensive, since I am a beginner, but I don't see a point since I would just get a new one later once my skills improve. I thought that I might as well get a decent one to start.

I am so anxious to get it that it's not even funny.

Elk4me
12-29-2007, 05:20 PM
I own both a MOAB and Cheetah. Both are Excellent shooting bows. The Moab is considierably lighter than the Cheetah. Both draw very very smooth. I have the 08 M -Pro on my Moab which is a tad bit faster than the 07 Cam but it also has a draw stop which I am enjoying alot. You can go wrong with the MOAB, it will NOT be a Barn burner like the Firecat. But to me speed isnt everything. I really dont notice the 1 1/2" differance in ATA from my MOAB 33" ATA to my 30 1/2" Cheetah. If you liked the Bengal and Cheetha you are deffinately gona Love the MOAB:cool:.

Picard
12-30-2007, 06:48 PM
Awesome. Thanks guys for the responses.

I had a few quick questions about the Moab which I thought of calling up Martin tech support for but I wanted to ask you guys first. Can you add a peep sight onto the bow without using a bow press? I was wondering if this was possible by loosening the limbs until the string was loose.

Also, has string stretching been an issue on new Martin bows for you guys? I plan on paper tuning the bow but I don't know if I should shoot it for a while first to break in the string or not? Will string stretching affect the cam timing at all? I read that Martin bows have pre-stretched strings so I don't know if this would be an issue.

I don't have the bow yet so I'm not sure if I can do this but since you guys have it, I thought that I'd ask.

flytier17
12-31-2007, 08:13 AM
Your string will stretch.