PDA

View Full Version : pricey pooch?

boobowbender
07-09-2012, 09:27 AM
hey guys, its been awhile, I've been on the outside looking in periodically. Anyways almost have a place in the country bought and the boy really loves dogs. done my research and think a wirehaired pointing griffon would be a great fit to the family. well tempered not overly rambunctious a nd most importantly not too pretty. pricey though yikes $1100.does come with a chip and a hip guarantee. sounds like a great breed but do people really pay that kind of money for a pet? well iknow they do or they wouldn't charge it. am i going to have to pay big bucks for a qualityhunting dog. anything but a lab? no offense lab lovers i like them too.
Its the one i really want, but really really hard to justify that kinda ching on a dog

droppixel
07-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Look into German Shorthairs or Vizslas. Both amazing hunting dogs in addition to Labs. Just an extra thought?

Lung Buster
07-09-2012, 02:21 PM
That is about the standard price for any decent hunting breed with a good background and good genes! I have never owned a wire haired but i have trained quite a few for hunting most are pretty nice dogs!

Simple Life
07-09-2012, 04:34 PM
My beagle was close to a grand,and it was worth it.My other dog who is a mix was $75 and she is a great dog.
We have no kids and these are part of our family,try not to think of price when deciding on your new family member;)

Ehunter
07-09-2012, 07:29 PM
I have 2 skunk dogs I got for free that I'd happily let you have. lol I have a cousin that used to raise the wire-haired pointers. They were good hunting dogs, but stubborn. Good noses, good hunters, but they took more training than his other dogs. One thing I'll give them though, I never saw them chase rabbits, or anything other than what they were supposed to. He stopped breeding them back in '01, but he was getting $650-750 out of them back then.

boobowbender
07-12-2012, 11:36 AM
yea my friend who recommended the griffon has two prize winning vislas(i know) and the short hairs are just two wild(energetic). skunk dogs though, thats sounds interesting and free! too bad splitter had to correct ya, i got a laugh out of it anyways. maybe i'll start saving after the budget dog

gravedigger
07-12-2012, 11:51 AM
my B-I-L was buying hounds left and right for coon hunting and he was going out of state to buy them.the guy was paying 1000.00-1500.00 per hound pup and after 7 years or so they ended up with something around 8 hounds...........that is a big chunk of change to hunt coon.lol.so i guess what you would be paying for a high quality pup is around the price you gave.me however would no pay a dime for a dog no matter the breed.

bfisher
07-12-2012, 12:19 PM
I don't even want to think about the vet bills. I once had a Beagle and she was a good rabbit hunter and my closest friend. Time took it's toll and had to put her down. Wife says "No more dogs". Really? She says if I get another dog she's leaving. Sounds like opportunity knocking.

boobowbender
07-12-2012, 12:25 PM
barry, happily married too. well i probably would have paid the 11 hundred if it wouldnt have been for the wife. maybe i should anyways;)