PDA

View Full Version : Tree stand

Chip
07-11-2012, 04:39 PM
I went out yesterday to put a tree stand the wife bought me up. Well I get to the woods and find out from the land owner that his tree stand and trail cam was stolen a couple days ago. Needless to say my stand is at the location, but in the barn until I pick up some rubber coated chain and pad locks. I was thinking of mounting a covert trail cam higher up in a tree to see if I can get a pic for the authorities. I don't know what is wrong with people, but I would never even think about stealing like that. Sorry state of the states I tell ya.

Ehunter
07-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Chip, I have to agree. I had one stolen, a ladder stand, about 6 years ago right off the tree. Found it on an ajoining property about a month later not 50 yards from where I had it on my hunting ground. Needless to say, words were exchanged, and they are considered to be tresspassing if they step foot across that property line again. Now, the REALLY bad part about that is, the guy that stole it is a GAME WARDEN here. Haven't had any problems since, but they are all kept locked, and checked on fairly regularly. It takes a real scumbag to steal, and this guy is certainly one of them. I reported him to the Fish and Game Dept. of course, but they said they had to have definitive proof that he stole it before they could do anything at all. I just wanted to make sure they knew what kind of a worthless piece of sh.. they had working for them. We also had a game warden in the county just south of me get arrested for having 27 fresh racks in his shed a few years ago. He had shot all of them within a 2 week span, several while he was on duty. Talked about a screwed up game management area, welcome to Kansas. lol

mdodraw29
07-11-2012, 07:32 PM
That sucks... Last year my father had a tree stand stolen from private property. He hunted until dark on Saturday came back Monday morning a few minuets before sunrise and it was gone (no Sunday hunting here in Mass.). A handful of scumbags can change how we look at things no matter where you live.

Chip
07-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Sorry to here about the thefts guys. I can't believe the game wardens in your area ehunter, that blows my mind. Twenty seven illegal deer, that would put an end to anybody's hunting privileges as well as monster fines. It is so important to preserve our wildlife for our future generations.

Bent Arrow
07-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Bad business all the way around when one bad apple ruins the whole bunch. Makes it harder for the folks who get into law enforcement for all of the right reasons to do their work. But you'll have shady characters who get into law enforcement just to scam and steal forever I guess. The good news is that nobody's perfect so they will slip up and get found out by the good guys sooner or later. We're fortunate to have some really A1 DNR officers down here.

Chip
07-12-2012, 08:17 PM
We are have some good wardens around here as well. I recall when I was younger going to levis house with my uncle, he was really good guy. I also met a few wardens when I worked for a local taxidermist. These gents took the job serious and I was thankful for their efforts.

Bent Arrow
07-13-2012, 09:11 AM
No matter what the trade, professionalism shows through. It really is a joy to deal with people that you can tell from the first that they enjoy and take pride in what they do. Now the ones that are just there to pick up a check (I call them bystanders) not so much. :rolleyes:

typically8
07-14-2012, 01:57 AM
Chains and locks are cheaper then tree stands. I am just saying.

Bent Arrow
07-14-2012, 11:11 AM
That's true, but bolt cutters are cheap too. Some people are just no good and will steal just for the fun of it. Locks are made for honest people mostly. If a thief wants it bad enough they'll go to any length to get it. Crack and meth make that a fact if you have that in your area. My brother-in-law had his box blade stolen off the back of his tractor in the front yard. Everything started to go down hill when they stopped corporal punishment in school. IMO

Ehunter
07-14-2012, 07:35 PM
AMEN Bent.

Bent Arrow
07-14-2012, 08:13 PM
AMEN Bent.
As my old Gram used to say, "Boy if you can't hear you can feel." A hickory switch is an outstanding motivator.:D

bob cooly
07-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Read my post under trail cameras, don't know who this woman is but expect either a government worker or peta crazed fish and game worker (common in california). Called fish and game amd left a message with local game warden. Thieves, don't they still make rope?

dzsmith
07-24-2012, 04:19 AM
I know an old man who put a trail cam on his trail cam and watched as neighboring deer camp members stole it. He confronted them and believe this or not. It turned into a hostage situation with a 45 pistol over a trail cam. Needless to say the thieves were arrested and no charges were pressed on the old man

Chip
07-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Well the stand is up. Three cables and three locks. As Bent Arrow stated if they want it bad enough they will get it, at least they will have to work for this one. I hope it stays put the area looks really good acorns, water, beds, trails, and fresh deer droppings in the area. Can't wait for Sep 29.

Bent Arrow
07-25-2012, 04:40 PM
I know an old man who put a trail cam on his trail cam and watched as neighboring deer camp members stole it. He confronted them and believe this or not. It turned into a hostage situation with a 45 pistol over a trail cam. Needless to say the thieves were arrested and no charges were pressed on the old man
Just because a hooligan takes up deer hunting doesn't make them a Sportsman. A sportsman looks out for his fellow hunters and anglers. They also don't look to score a point off of honest folk trying to acquire fish or game in a legal, ethical manner. All the while enjoying the splendor of Mother Earth's bounty. The lowlifes who stole the trail cam wouldn't understand a word of what I just said. Their loss.:mad:

Spiker
07-25-2012, 11:51 PM
Bear trap in the leaves at the bottom of the tree will stop anyone but you from climbing up there.

Ehunter
07-26-2012, 05:10 AM
GREAT idea Spiker. Just make sure you have a trapping/furharvesting license first.

Bent Arrow
07-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Bear trap in the leaves at the bottom of the tree will stop anyone but you from climbing up there.

I like the way you think man! lol:D

Chip
07-26-2012, 05:18 PM
I like the way you think man! lol:D

Ditto!

Chip
07-28-2012, 06:00 PM
I put a trail cam out near my new stand last night and had to go back today to add a lock on it. When I checked the cam I saw it had a couple of pics on it so I thought I would share one. I know it's not a buck, but hey if there are does there will be bucks.

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy25/ctundra46/WGI_0016a.jpg

elkslayer4x5
07-29-2012, 08:20 AM
Easy camo for a trail cam is a piece of camo mesh, same mesh as in the pop-up blinds, wrap it around your trail cam, and cable the package at the base of nearby tree, arrange brush to hide. Trail cam will 'see' through the mesh. This is when you want a cheap trail cam.

Chip
07-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Thank you for the tip elkslayer, at the moment I have branches and leaves around it. Of course that does no good for the front. I bet my local army surplus store will have some of that mesh.

elkslayer4x5
07-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Here's a pic of the mesh wrapped trail cam, had to manuver around a bit to catch a shine in order to see the cam. 2nd pic is what the trail cam saw. Yep, the army surplus store should have some. Be sure and turn off the flash!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/DSCN1705.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/SUNP0001.jpg

Bent Arrow
08-02-2012, 04:17 PM
You might could use some screen used to screen in your back porch. Get that right at the hardware store. I always find an excuse to go to my local hardware store. lol:D

Arrow Splitter
08-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Be sure and turn off the flash!
Infrared flash.:cool: Time to update ES! LOL:p:D J/K

A.S

elkslayer4x5
08-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Easy camo for a trail cam is a piece of camo mesh, same mesh as in the pop-up blinds, wrap it around your trail cam, and cable the package at the base of nearby tree, arrange brush to hide. Trail cam will 'see' through the mesh. This is when you want a cheap trail cam.

As I mentioned in a previous post, not a good idea to use your high dollar trail cam to try to catch a thief, so, remember to turn the flash off. :)