PDA

View Full Version : New Nemisis Restrung

bfisher
07-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Well, I got my strings from Hutch two days ago. First impression was good. I'm used to looking at quality strings and these are as good as any I have ever seen. The color combination I chose was Flame, Silver/black speckled with clear halo for all end servings. Center and STS are red. To me it's kind of classy without being too..........

Got to really look them over the next day and then git to installing them, but first had to do some necessary machining work. Most of us know about and/or have experienced excessive serving wear and I'm no different. This Nemisis showed such wear on the string serving after only a few hundred shots. My 2011 model did the same thing. I did do some careful analyzing and decided that the main problem was caused by sharp inner edges of the string grooves and the inner edge of the modules.

First step was to tear down the bow and dig out the files. Mainly used a small rat-tail. At times I stopped and run a fingernail over the edge till satisfied that there were no roughness or burrs. While I was at it I did the other bow and my 2010 Alien Z, something I've put off doing for some time. I just can't see putting a good quality set of strings on a bow because the serving gets chewed up without fixing the root problem. No sense in throwing good money after bad.

Anyway, that taken care of I installed the strings just as they came. a2a came in about 3/16 short, brace was right on, and draw weight was about 3# heavier than before. A few twists here and there should bring things in fairly good although I don't usually worry too much about specs so much as how the bow feels. I did get to sight it oin for 20 yards and although I need a half twist on the bottom end of the string to orient the peep there is no peep rotation. I'm more interested in keeping an eye on the end servings to see if the serving wear problem is solved.

Anyway, here's are a few pics and a big thanks to Hutch for a good looking set of strings.6813681468156816

Arrow Splitter
07-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Very nice Barry.:cool::cool: So the bow was bought back in 2005 huh?:p

A.S

Ehunter
07-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Great looking set-up Barry. I think you picked the perfect colors. Bill does some fantastic work. I love my new set as well.

Speedykills
07-13-2012, 09:09 PM
they look nice,but why did you cut that launcher! kinds defeats the purpose.......anyway whole bow looks good..........

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Just the right colors Barry. Good choice! Now for the real test of a target shooter. Let me know how they work!

Hutch:cool:

bfisher
07-14-2012, 10:26 AM
they look nice,but why did you cut that launcher! kinds defeats the purpose.......anyway whole bow looks good..........

This is just my opinion, but I think the long launcher forks are stupid. I know guys think they have to have some kind of containment system, but I never have and still don't. They have this stupid bar across the top to keep the arrow from coming off the rest. The forks have to be long enough so that the bar is way above the fletching. I have never needed any of that crap. Further, it's my thought that the longer forks take longer to get down out of the way so could show clearance issues if you have a very fast bow.

As I am just a 3D/target shooter all my drawing and such is very controlled (except the target panic) and I keep my draw weight low enough that I can control the draw cycle very well. Therefore the forks get cut down to get out of the way faster. Actually, they are still about 1/2" high and I could concievably cut another 1/4" off them. Notice that the "containment" bar is also removed. That's the first thing I did after removing it from the packaging. Let's just say that I took a mouse trap and altered it into a better mouse trap for my purposes.

bfisher
07-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Very nice Barry.:cool::cool: So the bow was bought back in 2005 huh?:p

A.S

No Brad. When I was editing the pic I wanted to insert a date and that is the one that came up. For some reason I couldn't change it.

Spiker
07-14-2012, 11:28 AM
This is just my opinion, but I think the long launcher forks are stupid. I know guys think they have to have some kind of containment system, but I never have and still don't. They have this stupid bar across the top to keep the arrow from coming off the rest. The forks have to be long enough so that the bar is way above the fletching. I have never needed any of that crap. Further, it's my thought that the longer forks take longer to get down out of the way so could show clearance issues if you have a very fast bow.

As I am just a 3D/target shooter all my drawing and such is very controlled (except the target panic) and I keep my draw weight low enough that I can control the draw cycle very well. Therefore the forks get cut down to get out of the way faster. Actually, they are still about 1/2" high and I could concievably cut another 1/4" off them. Notice that the "containment" bar is also removed. That's the first thing I did after removing it from the packaging. Let's just say that I took a mouse trap and altered it into a better mouse trap for my purposes.

+1 on this.
I use Limb Driver rests but still cut the forks on the launcher arm in half.

daiwateampenn
07-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Nice color combination.

notice that bro, you dont tie ur peep? or have not finish adjusting the peep height yet?

brudawg
07-15-2012, 11:02 PM
Nice bow and strings Barry. Just the color of strings I would do! I think i'm gonna like my new Crimson Pantera. One more question, how is the paint on the bow? Smooth, shiny, and durable? It will be a nice addition to my hmmm... Alpine Fireball.

Thanks,

Kurt

bfisher
07-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Nice color combination.

notice that bro, you dont tie ur peep? or have not finish adjusting the peep height yet?

I rarely tie in a peep. If the string has enough twists in it the peep will not move. In this case I used the same measurement that's on my 2011 Nemisis so NO, I won't be moving it and if so it would only be less than 1/8".

bfisher
07-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Nice bow and strings Barry. Just the color of strings I would do! I think i'm gonna like my new Crimson Pantera. One more question, how is the paint on the bow? Smooth, shiny, and durable? It will be a nice addition to my hmmm... Alpine Fireball.

Thanks,

Kurt

Kurt,
The paint job is glossy and smooth. On mine there are a couple places where they painted over a bit of dust, but nothing to worry about. The paint will chip if you ding it with anything so don't be hammering on it with a sledge hammer. LOL. It's kind of a metallic to boot. Very Sharp.

Hutch is actually responsible for my color choices. The Flame is kind of Fl orange with red speckles in it. The silver/black speckle is to compliment the black limbs with silver logos. I still think Flame and Mt. Berry would be a good match, but maybe I'll do that next time. Strings aren't forever you know. Love experimenting. IMO the quality of workmanship in the strings is impeccable.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Flame and Mt Berry wow I have to go put those together. Now you've go and done it. I haven't seen that together.

Double S
07-16-2012, 02:07 PM
That's a beautiful string combo Barry.

daiwateampenn
07-16-2012, 07:01 PM
I rarely tie in a peep. If the string has enough twists in it the peep will not move. In this case I used the same measurement that's on my 2011 Nemisis so NO, I won't be moving it and if so it would only be less than 1/8".

learnt something new.... i was taught to tie the peep, and i always tie and shoot, and if peep is high or low, i have to untie and tie again....

bfisher
07-16-2012, 07:50 PM
learnt something new.... i was taught to tie the peep, and i always tie and shoot, and if peep is high or low, i have to untie and tie again....

If you want you can just put a half dozen wraps of dental floss around the peep and string to help ensure it doesn't fly out (no guarantee). Tie it off and melt the tag end. This will add a little bit of insurance and you can still slide the peep a bit if need be. Then once this is done measure how high the peep is above your nocking point and remember it. If you should start shooting high or low you can check the peep height and move it if need be.

Something else I may as well throw in here is that along with the usual a2a, brace height and other measurments I've learned to measure the distance from my top axle down to the peep and nocking point. Kisser too for those who use one. The reason? Suppose your bow starts shooting low all of a sudden. If so then something moved. It most likely has to be either the nocking point (loop) slide up or the peep slid down. By measuring to a fixed position such as the axle you'll be able to tell which just by measuring instead of trying to guess.

daiwateampenn
07-16-2012, 10:04 PM
If you want you can just put a half dozen wraps of dental floss around the peep and string to help ensure it doesn't fly out (no guarantee). Tie it off and melt the tag end. This will add a little bit of insurance and you can still slide the peep a bit if need be. Then once this is done measure how high the peep is above your nocking point and remember it. If you should start shooting high or low you can check the peep height and move it if need be.

Something else I may as well throw in here is that along with the usual a2a, brace height and other measurments I've learned to measure the distance from my top axle down to the peep and nocking point. Kisser too for those who use one. The reason? Suppose your bow starts shooting low all of a sudden. If so then something moved. It most likely has to be either the nocking point (loop) slide up or the peep slid down. By measuring to a fixed position such as the axle you'll be able to tell which just by measuring instead of trying to guess.

Infact, i did use dental floss for serving and tieing up the peep for sometimes, its easier when come to cut the dental floss, and it appears to be transparent.... hehehehe... looks more like a clear serving.

Noted your tips. should have start the habit to put down all the infos where the point should be in paper for future usage.

wscywabbit
07-22-2012, 10:17 AM
First off, nice looking bow Barry! As usual, Hutch pulls through with flying colors on the strings :)!

Second off, I also usually don't tie the peep in either. Usually I put about 5-10 serving wraps above and below the peep. Then I can push them towards the peep and put a dab of super glue on them once I get them set. This helps keep the peep in place, and they can be used to help adjust the peep rotation before they're set.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-22-2012, 06:03 PM
I tie everything! double whip with a lace connection.

Peeps cost too much to lose!!!! plus I hate them when they go up or down.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-13-2012, 07:39 PM
How is your new bow doing Barry? How do you like it so far?

madman350
12-14-2012, 02:36 PM
what kind of string material was used ?.............also point out the clear halo serving . to me the serving(?) looks red.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-14-2012, 02:57 PM
what kind of string material was used ?.............also point out the clear halo serving . to me the serving(?) looks red.

Bcy Trophy, and the end servings are done in clear. Center serving is done in red.

bob cooly
12-14-2012, 04:04 PM
I've become sold on the Whisperlite peep, it requires no serving and I've not had one move in thousands of shots.

bfisher
12-14-2012, 05:15 PM

I guess Hutch answered your question, but I'd have to get a better pic of the end servings. I'll see what I can do. That's the one thing about the clear. It's actually white on the spool (Right Hutch?). It's when you wrap it around the string and it gets stretched out it appear to be clear. It's pretty hard to see it on the string.

Hutch, which new bow are you asking about, the red Nemisis? That's an old bow now. The strings are holding up real well. I think I'm going to replace the center serving, maybe with orange. I'm seriously considering ordering a Gail Martin Signature Recurve as my new one for 2013. Just have to see my sales rep to fill out the paperwork and fax it in. I really don't see a compound in the 2013 lineup that is going to be any better than the three Ryteras I now have. Haven't shot a recurve in 35 years so it might put some fun back in the sport. Again, I don't hunt any more so it would be just for some indoor target, 3D outside, and stump shooting.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Yeah Barry, I was curious about the Red Nemesis. So the strings are holding out? That's good. Recurve huh! That's what I would like some time too. They are just fun. Are you going to replace the center serving with halo or 62xs?

bfisher
12-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Yeah Barry, I was curious about the Red Nemesis. So the strings are holding out? That's good. Recurve huh! That's what I would like some time too. They are just fun. Are you going to replace the center serving with halo or 62xs?

I don't know. Which grips better. And by the way, do you remember what size serving you used? I usually use .021 and serve it very tight, but as you know it all depends on the string material and strand count to determine the diameter of the finished product.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-15-2012, 10:20 AM
I don't know. Which grips better. And by the way, do you remember what size serving you used? I usually use .021 and serve it very tight, but as you know it all depends on the string material and strand count to determine the diameter of the finished product.I believe 62 xs is a better gripper. With 20 strands and .021 center serving and running a tag end up through the length of the center serving you should be fine. The arrow will be lightly snug. But if you were to let it hang and shook it it could fall off.

Hutch

bfisher
12-15-2012, 07:12 PM
I finally got to taking a couple picks of the end servings. Note that they are clear on the string. A little hard to see, but look closely. Well, it isn't all that hard to see. I left the pics large enough to show what is being discussed.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Still looks good Barry. Here is a pic of some center serving that would look good on that string.