PDA

View Full Version : Camo dip

Ehunter
07-20-2012, 04:47 AM
Anyone ever dip their own bow? I've watched the videos of dipping on YouTube, and decided to go ahead and give it a try myself. Just wondering if anyone had dipped their own with a kit, and had any advice about dipping the riser. That looks like the only tough part to dip. Going to try the Warthog in Predator Brown Deception as soon as I get a set of limbs in. Figured I'd do the entire bow, riser, cams, limbs, sight, rest, everything. Thanks all.

Eric

elkslayer4x5
07-20-2012, 08:30 AM
Simon just got his Nemesis dipped ASAT, had Hutch make rigging to match, but is helping his Dad with a big move and has'nt got it restrung yet. Here's his post on the subject. Don't think he did the whole ball o wax like you're talking about, though. And also did'nt do it himself, had it done. As I understand it, you'll need tempeture controled tanks for your film.

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?24238-I-m-getting-my-Nemesis-Redipped

bfisher
07-20-2012, 10:15 AM
This should be interesting. I've always been a fan of Predator. Especially the Fall Grey. When you're done you know the rules.

NuttyNative
07-20-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm curious too, the wife's been pestering me to build a container so she can try it. I also like the predator 3d deception. I would think you could use 3 or 4" bolts on the riser, one on top right the other on bottom left to control the riser when dipping. Definitely keep up up to speed on this. I would like to do what your talking about to my 360, dip everything. Also, let us know where to get the film, best I could find was $99.95 in limited patterns.

Ehunter
07-22-2012, 07:19 PM
ES4X5, Hutch made me such a sweet set of strings, I wanted to make a bow that matched. lol They say to keep the water at 90-100 degrees when dipping, and I have a small spa heater that can do just that, so I think it'll be all good. In this weather, I can just leave the tank outside. lol

Nutty, I'll keep you all updated as soon as I get it done. Waiting on Barnsdale to get me a set of limbs built, then it's dip time. It's a 3-4 day process they say, and it'll probably be another 2 weeks before I get the limbs in, so about 3-4 weeks out for the finished project.

I am doing this from a kit I bought online from camodipkit.com. I figured the kit would be the cheapest way to do it for the first time, and if it turns out poorly, I don't have alot of extra material going to waste. If it turns out well, I'll just start buying the dip material in bulk, and start dipping more stuff.

Update: Got the limbs from Barnsdale today in the mail. Threw them on the bow to make sure everything was a good fit, etc. Now the bow looks so good I almost don't want to dip it. lol It's ALL black, no carbon fiber. 689468956896

boobowbender
07-25-2012, 12:05 PM
isn't a black cat bad luck?

bfisher
07-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Want my opinion? Leave it alone and go shoot it. Those limbs look yummy.

Speedykills
07-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Want my opinion? Leave it alone and go shoot it. Those limbs look yummy.

Ya i agree bow looks pretty good the way it is..................

bfisher
07-25-2012, 06:19 PM
Ya i agree bow looks pretty good the way it is..................

Yeah, I'd never spoil the finish of a blacked out bow, especially by doing it in some camo pattern. No way I'd hide those Barnesdale logos.

Ehunter
07-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Boobow, I'd never have an all black Cat. This one's a Hog. lol

Barry, Speedy....what about a compromise. I camo the bow, but leave the Barnsdale logos uncovered? I can tape over them and use a jagged edge, so it blends in with the camo pattern a little better. Bought it for a hunting bow, and I know black would work, but I'm just a camo kinda guy. lol

typically8
07-25-2012, 11:10 PM
Dip..dip....dip...dip....dip.....dip!!

Spiker
07-25-2012, 11:21 PM
So thats one of the last Martin black powdercoat risers.?.?
With black Barnsdale limbs...

If it twere me - it would get a Bomar slide and then just get shot and showed off.

Thats a great bow.

NuttyNative
07-26-2012, 12:20 AM
Boobow, I'd never have an all black Cat. This one's a Hog. lol

Barry, Speedy....what about a compromise. I camo the bow, but leave the Barnsdale logos uncovered? I can tape over them and use a jagged edge, so it blends in with the camo pattern a little better. Bought it for a hunting bow, and I know black would work, but I'm just a camo kinda guy. lol

Same goes for me, camo all the way. I like the idea of keeping the Barnsdale logo. When I dip my carbon firecat I'm going to send the limbs back to Martin & have the logo silkscreened back on. I think the green will work great with my pattern choice AND still show what the bow is.

Ehunter
07-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Well, now everyone has me thinking about leaving the bow blacked out. If I do decide to go that route, it looks like I'll have to dip the Alien X that's in skulls and carbon fiber. Never cared much for either one of those patterns.

Spiker, I do think this is a powdercoat finish. Seems a little flat in the finish and too textured to be a painted finish. Never been a real big fan of blacked out bows, but this one is certainly growing on me.

If I leave the bow blacked out, what do I do about the brand new strings Hutch made for me to match Predator Brown? lol

elkslayer4x5
07-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Dip, dip, dip, dip, dip, dip! :)

Ehunter
07-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Ok, I know it's blasphemy to you target shooters, but the bow got torn down and sanded today. Ever take an HHA sight completely apart? What a pain. The Trophy Taker rest wasn't too bad until the return spring shot out like a rocket. Yes, when I said I'm dipping everything, I meant it. 5 parts to the sight, 4 parts to the rest, cams, modules, everything. Plan on painting base coat tomorrow, and dipping next weekend after I go watch a guy dip some parts on Friday. I'll keep everyone posted as the thing progresses. Here's the first round of pics.69166917

Arrow Splitter
07-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Cool! A jigsaw puzzle.LOL:D

Ehunter
07-29-2012, 05:24 AM
That's exactly what I thought AS. lol I did think ahead enough to grab the camera and take pics of the dissasembly. That way I could remember where all the little washers and stuff went. Seperated the screws, washers, etc., into seperate ziplock bags for the rest, sight... With everything taken apart, there's got to be 60 seperate pieces or more.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
07-29-2012, 05:27 AM
Some peoples kids have to destroy everything they own. Ha! jk Eh, looking like the project is well on its way.

Hutch:cool:

elkslayer4x5
07-29-2012, 08:08 AM
How compleatly did you take your HHA apart? Any chance you'd have a list of all the screw sizes? I'd like to swap the screws in mine out with stainless. Asked HHA for a scematic once, but they declined. LOL :)

Ehunter
07-29-2012, 11:52 AM
ES4X5, with the sight right now, if you count all the washers, screws etc., it's in 34 pieces. The main body is in 7 pieces. I did not take the fiber optic pin out, or the level. I was able to tape over those areas to avoid problems. Let me know what screws you are wanting to replace, and I can get you the sizes of them.

Got everything painted this morning, and have it hanging to dry right now. Had to paint outdoors, but it was pretty windstill, and didn't get any dust in the finish that I can see. Next step is a light sanding, then dipping. Will do the sanding this week, dipping starts Sat. They called this a "cream" color basecoat, but it's pretty much a slightly off white. One thing about the kit, it is ONLY good for one bow. Nearly ran out of paint just getting one good coat on it today. I'd advise anyone thinking about doing this to just go buy a quart of automotive paint (not a spray can), and use that for their base. Not to mention, you can customize the color to your liking that way.

Chip
07-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Looking good, can't wait to see the end result.

elkslayer4x5
07-30-2012, 10:38 AM
ES4X5, with the sight right now, if you count all the washers, screws etc., it's in 34 pieces. The main body is in 7 pieces. I did not take the fiber optic pin out, or the level. I was able to tape over those areas to avoid problems. Let me know what screws you are wanting to replace, and I can get you the sizes of them.Got everything painted this morning, and have it hanging to dry right now. Had to paint outdoors, but it was pretty windstill, and didn't get any dust in the finish that I can see. Next step is a light sanding, then dipping. Will do the sanding this week, dipping starts Sat. They called this a "cream" color basecoat, but it's pretty much a slightly off white. One thing about the kit, it is ONLY good for one bow. Nearly ran out of paint just getting one good coat on it today. I'd advise anyone thinking about doing this to just go buy a quart of automotive paint (not a spray can), and use that for their base. Not to mention, you can customize the color to your liking that way.

All of the external ones that pick up a shine. Thanks E.

Ehunter
08-03-2012, 08:41 PM
6943Well, went and watched a pro do some dipping today. Learned alot. First thing is, everything I painted last week has to be stripped back down, and repainted. You can not let the basecoat sit for more than 24 hours before dipping. The basecoat hardens too much, and the film will not stick to it very well. Secondly, the cheap kits like the one I bought from camodipkits.com are just that. CHEAP kits. You can find a hydrographics supplier, and get a kit through them, or buy the materials to do it almost as cheap as a kit. Plus, you'll have material left over for other things you want to dip. Tomorrow, I'll spend a couple hours stripping everything back down. Repaint next Friday, dip Sat., then clear coat Sunday. Once you have dipped an object, it can sit as long as you want before you clearcoat. Just be careful it doesn't get bumped around or rubbed against. Got the quiver dipped today, and it turned out pretty well. Everything else has to be stripped and re-basecoated though. Here's a teaser pic of the quiver..... I know, it's not a good pic. lol

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-03-2012, 09:15 PM
So now that your a pro when can I send mine to you? Sure looks good EH.

typically8
08-03-2012, 10:39 PM
That is sweet. Boy I wish I had some free time. I just finished spray painting my pee bottle, wish it looked half that good. Hey there's an idea I'll send you a bottle so you can get some more practice before Hutch sends you his bow.

Chip
08-05-2012, 04:52 AM
Looks great ehunter, good call checking out the pros for tips and knowledge on the process.

Ehunter
08-05-2012, 07:42 PM
A little clarification on my last post. With the basecoat you get in the online kits, you can't let the bow sit more than 24 hours before dipping. Checked into Ozarks Hydrographics a bit more today, and you can let their basecoat sit for 40+ days before dipping. One big difference between a good product, and a "cheap" product. I priced everything out from Ozark, and for $125 plus shipping, you get twice the amount of paint, clearcoat, film activator, the same amount of film. The only thing you'll need extra is a spray gun. $20 from them or Wal Mart. Also need an air compressor to run the gun. Extra film, and liquids are very easy to buy from them also. I picked up enough to do a spring pattern on one of my bows while I was shopping online, and should have plenty left over for something else. lol

Ehunter
08-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Got everything primed, dipped, and clear coated. Turned out pretty well, but I see room for improvement. I'll know a few things better for the next bow I'm going to do. I'll reassemble tomorrow or Tuesday, then get a couple more pics up. Here's a few for now: 698069816982

Ehunter
08-12-2012, 06:38 PM

Ehunter
08-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Hey ES4X5, here are the screw sizes for everything on my sight. Sorry it took me so long to get them. I was waiting until I was putting the sight back together, so I didn't lose anything. 6988

typically8
08-14-2012, 12:13 AM
Wow, thats screwey. Seriously, their engineer had a screw loose.

elkslayer4x5
08-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Thanks E, I did'nt want to take either of mine apart without have the replacement stainless on hand. The sight I'm changing the screws in is a different year than the sight you're showing above, has a red and gold logo instead of the green and black, but I think that the screws that I want to change will be the same size. At least I hope so. Thanks again. Rig is looking great!

Ehunter
08-14-2012, 08:13 PM
7004Glad to help ES4X5. I lost one of the little washers putting mine back together, but it doesn't seem to have made much difference. Still waiting on the riser and cam I had to leave at the dip shop when I went to watch. Long story short, we had to strip, prime, and repaint the riser and cam. Paint was too wet to load in my trunk, so he kept it and was going to dip them for me. Just waiting on it to arrive anyday now, so I can get it all back together. Here's the sight after I got it finished.

Ehunter
09-24-2012, 08:31 PM
Well, if you notice, my last post was on Aug. 18th. The bow had been dipped, and clearcoated before that date (Aug. 8th actually), and was just needing shipped back to me. I FINALLY got it today. Over a month and a half later. Yeah, I've been "happily" waiting. Anyway, here it is. Notice the base color for the riser and bottom cam don't match the rest of the bow. Those are the two parts that the dipper did, supposedly using the same basecoat I was using. NOT. His is a white base, mine is a tan that he told me was what he was going to use on the riser and cam. Needless to say, I retract anything good I said about this guy in previous posts. On a great note though, Hutch's strings look BEAUTIFUL on this bow. Couldn't ask for a better match. 717171727173

typically8
09-24-2012, 08:55 PM
I cant see it clearly but i am using my phone. I still looks cool, better then what the company uses. So, what does it cost for the "pro" vs the amateur to do a dip?

daiwateampenn
09-24-2012, 11:34 PM
Great looking bow.

bro,

did i miss anything, why suddenly the bow when to the dip shop? is the dip kit not working??
had it to be stripped off and re-do by the shop on the riser?

i interested in doing dip too....

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-25-2012, 03:47 AM
That looks great EH, great set up. Don't lay that puppy down anywhere you will certainly lose it. Great job!!!

Ehunter
09-25-2012, 04:30 AM
typically, cost wise doing one bow in full camo like this is going to be about the same either way, and alot less work to have a pro do it. I was wanting to learn how to do it, so I can dip another bow, and a few other things as well.

A few things to remember about dipping. The common online camo kits use a solvent based basecoat. They HAVE to be dipped within 24 hours of basecoating, or the paint dries too hard, and the film will NOT stick. That leads to restripping, repainting, and a huge pain. Most oneline kits are going to cost between $100-125. I was told about Ozarks Hydrographics as a supplier of materials for dipping. They also sell kits, and cost about $125 for a kit. They use a water based paint that can set for up to 40 days before dipping. They have a huge assortment of patterns available, as well as basecoat colors. That's where I'll be getting all my supplies from now on.

Things you'll need to dip with a common kit: A ventilated area to paint in. ( I did mine outdoors) A rack of some sort to hang parts on while they dry. A clean water supply for rinsing parts once dipped. A water tank big enough to completely submerge your parts in to apply the film. Rubber or latex gloves. A respirator of some sort (cheapies work ok). Masking tape. Razor knife or sharp scissors. Bailing wire to make hangers out of.

To use a kit from Ozarks Hydrographics you'll also need: Air compressor complete with filters (about $200 for a small compressor and filters), paint guns ($60 at Wal Mart), sand paper or a scuffing pad, measuring spoons.

If you chose to strip the bow completely down before painting, you'll also need some paint stripper ($10) and self-etching primer ($15).

Hope this answers a few questions, but if not, feel free to ask!

daiwateampenn
09-25-2012, 07:51 AM
great info n advice. Mayb in fuure if i had problem dipping i ll seek for ur advice.

elkslayer4x5
09-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Really looks good EH, the two differnt base coats help the camo effect. Even if it is agrivating! :)
Thanks again for getting those sight screw sizes to me, which washer did you loose?

Ehunter
09-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Thanks ES4X5. It's not as noticeable all put together, but still aggravating. Would have been easier to swallow if I hadn't had to wait 2 months for him to finally ship it. It was finished Aug. 8th, just got it yesterday.
The washer I lost is the one that goes between the adjustment arm, and the frame. It works just fine without it, so I'm not too worried. lol

elkslayer4x5
09-26-2012, 08:46 AM
Think that washer serves to smooth out the slide. Have you contacted HHA for the part? I understand that they run their customer service similar to Martin, although they declined when I asked them for a scematic for the screw sizes you provided for me, Thanks again, now hopefully I won't loose anything while changing them out.

Ehunter
09-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Glad to help ES4X5. Anytime I can, just ask!

elkslayer4x5
09-27-2012, 07:33 AM
Glad to help ES4X5. Anytime I can, just ask!

OK, Got room in the Canada bound truck? LOL Heck, I was so excited about the moose hunt I plumb forgot about the possibilty of taking a wolf ! If you do score on the wolf, are you gonna have it done the same as your Bobcat, you could lay it down along the couch. :D Have a great trip !