PDA

View Full Version : 2012-Martin Bow Reviews....Let's hear them

WestMichiganBowhunter
07-31-2012, 09:53 AM
very curious of the reviews........of the 2012 line....
haven't seen anything worth reading on AT....
I've read one on here, it was pretty good....but there has to be others.

are these quieter than say the previous 2-3 years...?
I had 2 - 2009 bengals and one was pretty dam good and quiet...a real shooter...the other one....loud as heck..and slower....everything was virtually equal...

wscywabbit
07-31-2012, 07:17 PM
I have shot 3-4 of the 2012 models, and they were all very solid and quiet. When you go to a shop, and you shoot a bow off the rack, you expect a little noise and vibration because all they've done is put a rest and a d-loop on, no add ons usually. So I was pleasantly surprised. I even shot a Bengal right along with a Hoyt Rampage, both were solid, and they chrono'd with in a foot/sec of each other. (they're both 320 IBO)

Two of my friends have bought '12 Martins, one bought a single cam Cougar, and loves it. The other bought a Bengal, and can't say enough good things about it (his first bow was a hand me down about 6 years old, so he was happier than a fox in a hen house). They are both shooters and were real easy to tune. The Fury cam is sweet! The only con I've really heard is some of them have had rough edges on the cam that chew up the serving prematurely. Easily fixed with an emory board, or a call to customer service. :)

WildWilt15
07-31-2012, 07:35 PM
My onza is whisper quiet and meets ibo. It's completely dead in the hand for vibration and I feel it shoots better then the mr7 and vector turbo.

Thermodude
08-01-2012, 06:20 AM
My 2012 Pantera is accurate and quiet, I use it for 3D and it shoots very well. Ive gotta say though that Im not impressed with the Fury XT cam, yes it has alot of adjustment Ill give it that but as far as performance Im not really seeing it. JMO.

Tosi
08-01-2012, 11:30 AM
My 2012 Pantera is accurate and quiet, I use it for 3D and it shoots very well. Ive gotta say though that Im not impressed with the Fury XT cam, yes it has alot of adjustment Ill give it that but as far as performance Im not really seeing it. JMO.

Thermodude! on the other hand for me... I have a 2012 Onza and Pantera. I love the Pantera and the Fury Cam as it out performs my Onza. Know saying that my 2011 Fire Cat 400 beat any bow hands down that I've had over the last ten years to include some from the top three. I had a Cougar FC with the Fury Cams and it sucked. Tried to adjust it to my shooting style and had all the bells a whistle on it, it just was not forgiving and wanted to jump out of my hands on release. For me I will stay with the Pantera and Fire Cat 400 this year for hunting. I had a 2009 Pantera and it was a shooter, only issue was I went though two set of Limbs (Before Power tough). I really believe that any bow is what the shooter makes of it with a set up style and arrow selection, whatever type,,, Hunting, 3D and or just for fun. I've shot the top 3 over the past year and still look at my Martin's and say too myself,,, their hard to beat with performance and forgiveness plus price wise.

Thermodude
08-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Im just really calling it as I see it. Ive spent more hours than I can remember shooting it with various settups, arrows, .....ect......all the while with the chrono hooked up to it. It is what it is, and I just expected more out of a 29" draw at 72lbs. I really like the bow and I will continue to tweak it in an effort to attain the performance that Im looking for. Im a big fan of the Nitro cam, to me its the smoothist cam Ive ever shot........................Im thinking that the Pantera with Nitro cams would be a pretty hot settup! Once again........JMO.

droppixel
08-02-2012, 08:55 AM
http://youtu.be/lOnMInHIgno

Bengal Pro - unbelievably awesome! I wanted one from the moment I first saw it and was fortunate enough to win one through their video contest.

Tosi
08-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Im just really calling it as I see it. Ive spent more hours than I can remember shooting it with various settups, arrows, .....ect......all the while with the chrono hooked up to it. It is what it is, and I just expected more out of a 29" draw at 72lbs. I really like the bow and I will continue to tweak it in an effort to attain the performance that Im looking for. Im a big fan of the Nitro cam, to me its the smoothist cam Ive ever shot........................Im thinking that the Pantera with Nitro cams would be a pretty hot settup! Once again........JMO.

CK, Concur with the Nitro cams on a Pantera and maybe a Bengle riser. I do like the 34ATA. May have to sell one, to buy one in FY13. I also shoot a 29" @ 70lbs with a Sanderson Hyper slide. If you tweak it and get the performance, share the wealth. My issue is I shoot & 430g arrow.

droppixel
08-02-2012, 11:39 AM
I'd really like to get the Bengal on a Chrono just for a piece of mind to see where it sits with my set up. Without knowing where it's at, I have no* complaints on it at all. Really looking forward to this season with it - crazy accurate out to 50 at the moment. Down the road, I'd like to get back to the Nitro/Hybrix cams in a new bow, but really think I'm gonna need to shoot before buying - bought the Alien blind and turned out liking the Bengal a heck of a lot more if you can believe that.

andy_camping
08-02-2012, 07:04 PM
692869292012 Bengal Pro!!! Sexyest bow I've seen in years and shoot great to boot. Plenty of bow for northeast whitetail hunting...can't wait to introduce the kitty to some "backstrap on the hoof".

Tosi
08-02-2012, 10:28 PM
you all may make my next purchase a Bengal. If it shoot's as nice as my Pantera,, I'm with it.

droppixel
08-03-2012, 12:26 AM
Had to take the Cheetah into the shop today. Took the Bengal along for the ride and got on the chrono. Put down a steady 275. I'm happy with it, but would definitely be curious to see how much more could come out of this cam with my current set up.

30" / 64-65# / 377gr / Whiskers, Meta Peep, D-loop

If I plug in numbers with a rough guess on the Whisker weight I can match up the calculator to the speed. If I take the string weight to 10gr (peep/loop) - calculator will put me at 298 ... Something I might test when I go back to the shop, pull the whiskers and get an idea from there. The bow was pretty quiet without them, squeezing another 20fps out of this might be nice - we'll see ;)

WestMichiganBowhunter
08-03-2012, 06:49 AM
Had to take the Cheetah into the shop today. Took the Bengal along for the ride and got on the chrono. Put down a steady 275. I'm happy with it, but would definitely be curious to see how much more could come out of this cam with my current set up.

30" / 64-65# / 377gr / Whiskers, Meta Peep, D-loop

If I plug in numbers with a rough guess on the Whisker weight I can match up the calculator to the speed. If I take the string weight to 10gr (peep/loop) - calculator will put me at 298 ... Something I might test when I go back to the shop, pull the whiskers and get an idea from there. The bow was pretty quiet without them, squeezing another 20fps out of this might be nice - we'll see ;)

i have a feeling that the cam isn't really that much faster if any at all compared to say the accu cam or m2pro cam on the previous bengals..

wscywabbit
08-03-2012, 11:29 AM
i have a feeling that the cam isn't really that much faster if any at all compared to say the accu cam or m2pro cam on the previous bengals..

Yep, 10fps difference isn't really a whole lot and can be ate up pretty fast... But 330 fps IBO is no slouch :)

WestMichiganBowhunter
08-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Yep, 10fps difference isn't really a whole lot and can be ate up pretty fast... But 330 fps IBO is no slouch :)

it might really not even be giving an extra 10 fps........
I don't think there is enough reviews being done to figure it out...
i would have to think it does, but we have seen snafu's from Martin before.

I liked the m2pro cam on my 09 bengal....smooth and easy to draw.

droppixel
08-03-2012, 04:45 PM
it might really not even be giving an extra 10 fps........
I don't think there is enough reviews being done to figure it out...
i would have to think it does, but we have seen snafu's from Martin before.

I liked the m2pro cam on my 09 bengal....smooth and easy to draw.

I agree with the reviews and testing on it so far to see exactly where and what needs to be done with it in order to achieve the optimal performance. I can tell you it has just as smooth of a pull as the M-Pro on my Cheetah with a lot better valley and wall. I was running my calculations with the IBO set to 320. I don't know exactly how much the whiskers weight, but if a meta peep is 6 grains and a d-loop is maybe 5-6 (mine is pretty short) - don't have a scale to know for sure - I was factoring string weight at 70 - so 30 per whisker ball - take that off and the calc put me at 298 - would be 308 if at 330, which I don't think would be accurate considering the arrow/draw weight I have. IDK.

Might drop the whiskers from the string and take it back in with me when I pick up the Cheetah and shoot it through 1 more time just to see where it sits without them. Was pretty quiet before I put them on - very quiet now with, but not a HUGE difference imo.

Durandal
08-03-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm currently shooting a Scepter V pro. I shoot fingers and instinctive so my set-up is pretty basic. The martin crew did a great job setting it up, I literally had nothing to adjust cam wise. At 53.4 lbs draw (50lbs limbs with 29.5 draw lenght) with Victory HV arrows, this is the fastest bow I've seen out in the ranges, mind you speed for me is a curiosity. I have never shot a quieter bow and it's, as far as I'm concerned vibration free on the release. Handles like a dream and for the price I paid, as good as it gets for any bow with comprable ATA lenght out there. My friends shoot Hoyt, bear, champion.... and lets just say I wouldn't trade mine in for any of those. ;)

The bow is still new to me, and since I shoot instinctive my accuracy isn't quite there yet but it's getting there. I should be back to 4-6 inch groups at 30 feet by the end of the summer. Just in time to make all the boys down at the club go wide eyed when I go back this winter.:D

droppixel
08-06-2012, 10:10 AM
I feel like this has been discussed somewhere at some point. But as far as speeds go and whiskers/weight on the string ... has it been decided that for single cams whiskers may only be necessary on the bottom?? Just saw Ehunter's post on him tying his btw the speed nocks ... and that got me to thinking. I'm not obsessed with the speed ... could be shooting something a heck of a lot faster, but any little extra would be great. Don't need to be shooting rocket speeds, noticed I don't shoot as accurately when they are lazer beams (ie. Alien speeds, mofo was FAST)

droppixel
08-07-2012, 01:17 PM
^Scratch this. Did some experimenting last night with the whiskers ... after having them on the string, significant/noticeable difference after the shot without them. Even with just 1 - tied a new set (2) back on ;)

Speedykills
08-07-2012, 02:25 PM
^Scratch this. Did some experimenting last night with the whiskers ... after having them on the string, significant/noticeable difference after the shot without them. Even with just 1 - tied a new set (2) back on ;)

So what did you notice! string noise or speed loss,must have been string noise or you wouldnt have put them on in first place! i know my bengal had alot of buzz after shot.Wiskers took care of it though........and sts wasnt needed.

CarlosII
08-08-2012, 07:25 AM
after having shot the scepter v now for a few months i'll chime in on my experience with it.
i like the grip over the shadowcat. to me there is a different feel to it and it settles into my hand much more consistently. it is a step or two faster than the shadowcat so that i'm able to get 280 fps for the ASA shoots.

i do not like the finish, especially on the riser. i have several small chips in the paint that, on a black riser, i can't hide.

while i appreciate all the mounting points on the riser, i wish they had stayed with stainless steel inserts for the stabilizer mount. the quick disconnect mounting hole has me concerned about its long term viability. in addition, the paint, again, is chipped away around the hole.

i haven't shot enough other bows of similar ata and brace, but i'm satisfied with how the bow shoots. i continue to tweak the draw length, draw stop position, and tiller.

i haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else, so i'll give a big plus for the hammerhead string and cable. no peep twist, no stretch. stays in spec. don't see how you could beat 'em.

droppixel
08-08-2012, 09:18 PM
So what did you notice! string noise or speed loss,must have been string noise or you wouldnt have put them on in first place! i know my bengal had alot of buzz after shot.Wiskers took care of it though........and sts wasnt needed.

Yep, string noise. Didn't really noticed it much prior to placing the whiskers on there. Take them off to shoot and holy ballz is there a difference. One thing that was sweet about the Alien, bare string aside from speed nocks and it was crazy quiet imo.