PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day

Bent Arrow
08-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Went out this morning, it being the first day of whitetail season down here. No luck for a shooter but the Thermocell rocked! Anybody know the inventor of this great gift to human civilization as I would like to keep him/her in my thoughts and prayers? Going back out this afternoon, wish me luck.:)

bfisher
08-15-2012, 11:03 AM
I just had a guy tell me last night that he has used dryer sheets to repel bugs and they work very well. Of course it would have to be the unscented type. Don't know where you'd wear them, but I would think under your hat. I might have to try that.

droppixel
08-15-2012, 12:06 PM
ThermaCell is a must early season. Got to go pick up some refills myself. There are some guys that have posted on how to DIY refill the cartridges and what they use for the pads instead - to cut some cost.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Happy Hunting!!! bring home the big one!!

Hutch:cool:

Bent Arrow
08-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Went back out and the bugs didn't run me off but the HEAT sure did. Still looking for that big, ugly shaggy devil that I could never quite draw a bead on last fall. 10 pts, hair matted with mud from the swamps and stink! Kind of a wet and musky brackish water smell. He is my white whale and I will get him. I hope.:cool:

Lung Buster
08-15-2012, 05:44 PM
I cant wait to climb into the stand i have seen some real nice bucks on the farm these last couple weeks hanging out in there bachelor groups but i have to wait a whole nother month and a half! Ugh!! Good luck to you!

Bent Arrow
08-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Thanx man. It makes me laugh when I think how much all mammals act the same. It's fun to hang out with the guys for awhile, but sooner or later the talk turns to girls. That's when you make a mistake because you're not thinking clearly(i.e. someone else is thinking for you). They'll trip up when the ladies come around. Women seem to have that effect on us.:D

Lung Buster
08-16-2012, 09:12 AM
Cant think of a better place to be than in the woods when these boys are making there mistakes! Haha

Bent Arrow
08-16-2012, 06:36 PM
No buck today but did stick a coyote. Have much trouble with them in your area?

Double S
08-16-2012, 07:59 PM
I wish you a safe, fun and prosperous hunt.

Bent Arrow
08-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Thank you sir, hope to go out this afternoon to try it again. Hopefully I'll have a better shot at bringing home some venison since I dispatched one of those diablos (see above) yesterday. They are persistent if nothing else.:mad:

elkslayer4x5
08-17-2012, 08:52 AM
Nice trophy, song dogs are tough to get a bow shot on!

Bent Arrow
08-17-2012, 12:50 PM
This was a young one that knew he screwed up the second he did it. Came out from behind a thicket and turned tail. Went in his left rear flank and must have hit a bone because it went about 4 1/2 - 5 inches in and stopped. Ran off and couldn't find him so I'm out an arrow and a broadhead. I do luck up every once in a while, thanks for the congrats though.:)

elkslayer4x5
08-18-2012, 09:41 AM
This was a young one that knew he screwed up the second he did it. Came out from behind a thicket and turned tail. Went in his left rear flank and must have hit a bone because it went about 4 1/2 - 5 inches in and stopped. Ran off and couldn't find him so I'm out an arrow and a broadhead. I do luck up every once in a while, thanks for the congrats though.:)

Take note of where you see the cleanup crew working, watch for buzzard action, you might find your arrow and that coyote skull yet. Although the rest of the pack is'nt above eating the remains either. Wishing you all the luck in finding both, and by the way, thanks for removing another deer/fawn eater from the eco-system, you've perpetated untold generations of deer, just by taking out that one yote and it's prodigy out.

Bent Arrow
08-18-2012, 10:57 AM
You're right about that, they'll take down a fawn or livestock in a second. Have to put fence around my hives to keep them from getting too close. The man that raises goats down the road from me keeps his 12 ga at the ready just for them. The state has talked about bringing in sterilized wolves with tracking collars on them to take care of the coyotes. I already have to watch out for gators, snakes, feral hogs, panthers, bears, spiders, hornets and not to mention walking up on someone either growing weed or running a still. So wolves I'm not so sure about.

elkslayer4x5
08-19-2012, 09:48 AM
You're right about that, they'll take down a fawn or livestock in a second. Have to put fence around my hives to keep them from getting too close. The man that raises goats down the road from me keeps his 12 ga at the ready just for them. The state has talked about bringing in sterilized wolves with tracking collars on them to take care of the coyotes. I already have to watch out for gators, snakes, feral hogs, panthers, bears, spiders, hornets and not to mention walking up on someone either growing weed or running a still. So wolves I'm not so sure about.

Gettin kinda busy in your neck of the woods! I would'nt be too happy about the wolves, much rather see more predator hunting take place than introduce more predators!

typically8
08-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Wolves? Really? That is the dumbest idea I have heard of all day but I have ony been up for 30 minutes. I use a themacell too but question their odorless claim, what do you think? I mean i can smell the thing so the deer should too.

Bent Arrow
08-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Wolves? Really? That is the dumbest idea I have heard of all day but I have ony been up for 30 minutes. I use a themacell too but question their odorless claim, what do you think? I mean i can smell the thing so the deer should too.
Well brother you have to remember that I live in the state with the stupidest politicians on Earth. Mark Sanford, Alvin Green, Nikki Haley, David Beasley, etc... As far as Thermacell, my nose isn't very good (sinuses) but have you tried the Thermascent stuff? Haven't heard much about it.:confused:

typically8
08-19-2012, 10:16 PM
I have some I got for $9 on sale but took the pad holer off so iI could use it to have multiple skeeter chasers around the yard/pool.

Arrow Splitter
08-20-2012, 08:06 AM
You're right about that, they'll take down a fawn or livestock in a second. Have to put fence around my hives to keep them from getting too close. The man that raises goats down the road from me keeps his 12 ga at the ready just for them. The state has talked about bringing in sterilized wolves with tracking collars on them to take care of the coyotes. I already have to watch out for gators, snakes, feral hogs, panthers, bears, spiders, hornets and not to mention walking up on someone either growing weed or running a still. So wolves I'm not so sure about.:eek::eek:I don't think you have enough predators, you need more.LOL:D

Bent Arrow
08-20-2012, 03:53 PM
:eek::eek:I don't think you have enough predators, you need more.LOL:D
I forgot bobcats and wild dogs. I hope this clears up any misunderstanding. lol ;)

Arrow Splitter
08-20-2012, 07:42 PM
I forgot bobcats and wild dogs. I hope this clears up any misunderstanding. lol ;)
Thanks, much clearer now. LOL:p:D

elkslayer4x5
08-21-2012, 09:04 AM
OMG! you've got Feral dogs in the mix as well? Does SC allow you to carry personal protection while achery hunting? I think that a pack of feral dogs is as dangerous as wolves, possibly even more so.

Bent Arrow
08-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Yes sir they do! I have a Springfield 1911A1 that I keep on my side whether I hunt with recurve, crossbow or Hawken. Had a pack of dogs take down a little girl last week in Charleston county I believe. Oh by the way Arrow Splitter dude I also forgot killer bees and scorpions. The scorpions are still in the upstate but give 'em time. And although they're not predators (I think, although they will get in the garden) how do you cook an armadillo? Because we have those now too.:confused:

Arrow Splitter
08-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Yes sir they do! I have a Springfield 1911A1 that I keep on my side whether I hunt with recurve, crossbow or Hawken. Had a pack of dogs take down a little girl last week in Charleston county I believe. Oh by the way Arrow Splitter dude I also forgot killer bees and scorpions. The scorpions are still in the upstate but give 'em time. And although they're not predators (I think, although they will get in the garden) how do you cook an armadillo? Because we have those now too.:confused:
OK, I think you need to get 30 guys with semi-autos and shotguns, and go thin out the population of predators.:cool::cool:

A.S

Ehunter
08-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Bent, we have been overrun with armadillos. The state posted a health warning about them. They are carriers of Leprosy, so avoid all contact with them. Seriously. Apparently, some people cut them into steaks and eat them. Doesn't even sound good. Like a possum on a half-shell. lol

elkslayer4x5
08-22-2012, 08:39 AM

I belive that most folks use the tried and true shingle recipe. Skin and clean your dillo in the normal fashion, season well, and bake on an old wooden shingle at 350 for 90 minutes, remove from oven, toss out the dillo and eat the shingle. :D

Bent Arrow
08-22-2012, 04:26 PM
I belive that most folks use the tried and true shingle recipe. Skin and clean your dillo in the normal fashion, season well, and bake on an old wooden shingle at 350 for 90 minutes, remove from oven, toss out the dillo and eat the shingle. :D

My girlfriend in high school cooked for me once so I'll pass on the shingle, having had that dish on the menu. I thank my stars I didn't marry that girl. Thanks for the tip Ehunter, I hadn't heard about the leprosy thing.